Abandoned House? OK To Metal Detect?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, you're not joking about lead ! There was an old town demolition site in my city about 12 or 13 yrs. ago. An eminent domain take-over by the city, in our blighted bad-side chinatown district. The city tore down some abandoned buildings, and were going to put a garden or something there. We got in their each night after the workers cut out at 5pm, and were having fun getting old cach coins, a few seateds, opium bottles etc....

I found out later than the inspectors found (gasp) lead there! So a big bruhaha developed over "lead contamination". They theorized that yesteryear people used lead in their canning of food containers, or some such nonsense. But I knew as an md'r that it was nothing more than typical lead that you WOULD FIND ANYWHERE. Lead was the 'plastic of yesteryear' after all.

The project spec's got all changed around, and the city decided to remove the top 5 ft. of soil, and re-fill with clean soil. The "contaminated" soil had to be trucked a few hundred miles away to a hazzard site landfill at great expense.

And I had to laugh thinking: If these environmental people had ANY IDEA how much lead is on the average beach (fishing sinkers) they would no doubt shut down every beach . haha
I believe sealing cans with lead was prevalent during "the rush". TTC

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you're not joking about lead ! There was an old town demolition site in my city about 12 or 13 yrs. ago. An eminent domain take-over by the city, in our blighted bad-side chinatown district. The city tore down some abandoned buildings, and were going to put a garden or something there. We got in their each night after the workers cut out at 5pm, and were having fun getting old cach coins, a few seateds, opium bottles etc....

I found out later than the inspectors found (gasp) lead there! So a big bruhaha developed over "lead contamination". They theorized that yesteryear people used lead in their canning of food containers, or some such nonsense. But I knew as an md'r that it was nothing more than typical lead that you WOULD FIND ANYWHERE. Lead was the 'plastic of yesteryear' after all.

The project spec's got all changed around, and the city decided to remove the top 5 ft. of soil, and re-fill with clean soil. The "contaminated" soil had to be trucked a few hundred miles away to a hazzard site landfill at great expense.

And I had to laugh thinking: If these environmental people had ANY IDEA how much lead is on the average beach (fishing sinkers) they would no doubt shut down every beach . haha

California. Land of fruits and nuts. Nuff said.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call coinman ! You will feel so much better when you have permission , and a clear consciense while detecting . I have attempted to hunt a couple of times where technically I was trespassing - one of these incidents resulted in an ugly confrontation , and I was absolutely in the wrong ! He could have called the cops ,and they might have been able to take my detector for a good while . So good on you for being a little patient and finding out how to do this on the up and up !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions