Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Vols
  • 5 Post By Clay Diggins
  • 1 Post By Vols
  • 1 Post By Jim in Idaho

Thread: Help - Arsenic Sulphide in Gold? Gelchel Mine? See pic

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2017
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help - Arsenic Sulphide in Gold? Gelchel Mine? See pic

Hi. New to the forum and came for some help hopefully.

I was cleaning out several family boxes in my basement. Opened up an old diamond matchstick box and it had gold pieces with a note from my grandfather that read "experiment. Arsenic Sulphide with Gold. Gelchel Mine."

I have no clue what he might mean by experiment? Also, would the arsenic be dangerous in rock form?

He lived in California and panned for gold often but died when I was young. Any help is appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4121.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	1445959  
    4x4x4 and Honest Samuel like this.

Jan 2017
    170 times
    I have herd of this a customer of mine was just telling me about it i will see him next Saturday and get the facts for you

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Apr 2017
    3 times
    Thanks

Jan 2017
    170 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vols View Post
    Hi. New to the forum and came for some help hopefully.

I was cleaning out several family boxes in my basement. Opened up an old diamond matchstick box and it had gold pieces with a note from my grandfather that read "experiment. Arsenic Sulphide with Gold. Gelchel Mine."

I have no clue what he might mean by experiment? Also, would the arsenic be dangerous in rock form?

He lived in California and panned for gold often but died when I was young. Any help is appreciated!
    Hello vols sorry it took so long to get back it sounded pretty complex but from what I could gather arcinic gas from the smelting process has gold in it and the acid is used to retrive the gold he said there is alto of info about it on google hope bid helps

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1231 times
    ....It doesn't seem to have degraded the note or box.
    Hope someone can shed some light.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10182 times
    Prospecting
    The note doesn't say Experiment it says Orpiment.

Orpiment is the naturally occurring mineral that is composed or the element arsenic (As2) and the element sulfur (S3). These two elements naturally combine and are indeed an Arsenic Sulfide.

Arsenic is a metalloid.
    Sulfur is a non metallic element.

Arsenic and Sulfur can chemically combine with some metals but if they did they would be called an Arsenide - not a sulfide. They would not be the mineral Orpiment if they were to combine with a metal. Arsenic and Sulfur can not chemically combine with gold but they are sometimes found in the same hydrothermal deposits with gold.

Orpiment and Realgar, it's sister mineral, are poisonous and should not be handled or ingested. Please don't grind your mineral sample up and snort it or mix it with your tea. Although they are two of the most poisonous minerals they can be kept as specimens if they are kept in an enclosed space and kept out of the hands of curious children and grandchildren.

Nice matchbox!
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; May 12, 2017 at 12:22 AM.

Feb 2017
    571 times
    If you look up "realgar" under Wikipedia, one specimen at the end of the page says from Getchell mine.

So it seems aresenic stuff is not unkown from the mine. And yes, it is a strong poison please be careful and keep it from children.

Regards namxat

Apr 2017
    3 times
    Thanks -- you are completely right now that I look at it. Very helpful information and I will be sure to keep it away from the kids.

My great uncle said my grandfather's father would do this stuff all the time and had several containers burn from different chemicals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    The note doesn't say Experiment it says Orpiment.

Orpiment is the naturally occurring mineral that is composed or the element arsenic (As2) and the element sulfur (S3). These two elements naturally combine and are indeed an Arsenic Sulfide.

Arsenic is a metalloid.
    Sulfur is a non metallic element.

Arsenic and Sulfur can chemically combine with some metals but if they did they would be called an Arsenide - not a sulfide. They would not be the mineral Orpiment if they were to combine with a metal. Arsenic and Sulfur can not chemically combine with gold but they are sometimes found in the same hydrothermal deposits with gold.

Orpiment and Realgar, it's sister mineral, are poisonous and should not be handled or ingested. Please don't grind your mineral sample up and snort it or mix it with your tea. Although they are two of the most poisonous minerals they can be kept as specimens if they are kept in an enclosed space and kept out of the hands of curious children and grandchildren.

Nice matchbox!
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    mother load goldfields
    gold master V-sat
    191 times

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3106 times
    Prospecting
    I wonder if it's from the Gechel mine near Battle Mountain, NV? Lots of sulphide ore in that country. Good explanation, Barry!
    Jim
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links