Help - Arsenic Sulphide in Gold? Gelchel Mine? See pic

Vols

Apr 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. New to the forum and came for some help hopefully.

I was cleaning out several family boxes in my basement. Opened up an old diamond matchstick box and it had gold pieces with a note from my grandfather that read "experiment. Arsenic Sulphide with Gold. Gelchel Mine."

I have no clue what he might mean by experiment? Also, would the arsenic be dangerous in rock form?

He lived in California and panned for gold often but died when I was young. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4121.JPG
    IMG_4121.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have herd of this a customer of mine was just telling me about it i will see him next Saturday and get the facts for you

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. New to the forum and came for some help hopefully.

I was cleaning out several family boxes in my basement. Opened up an old diamond matchstick box and it had gold pieces with a note from my grandfather that read "experiment. Arsenic Sulphide with Gold. Gelchel Mine."

I have no clue what he might mean by experiment? Also, would the arsenic be dangerous in rock form?

He lived in California and panned for gold often but died when I was young. Any help is appreciated!
Hello vols sorry it took so long to get back it sounded pretty complex but from what I could gather arcinic gas from the smelting process has gold in it and the acid is used to retrive the gold he said there is alto of info about it on google hope bid helps

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The note doesn't say Experiment it says Orpiment.

Orpiment is the naturally occurring mineral that is composed or the element arsenic (As[SUP]2[/SUP]) and the element sulfur (S[SUP]3[/SUP]). These two elements naturally combine and are indeed an Arsenic Sulfide.

Arsenic is a metalloid.
Sulfur is a non metallic element.

Arsenic and Sulfur can chemically combine with some metals but if they did they would be called an Arsenide - not a sulfide. They would not be the mineral Orpiment if they were to combine with a metal. Arsenic and Sulfur can not chemically combine with gold but they are sometimes found in the same hydrothermal deposits with gold.

Orpiment and Realgar, it's sister mineral, are poisonous and should not be handled or ingested. Please don't grind your mineral sample up and snort it or mix it with your tea. Although they are two of the most poisonous minerals they can be kept as specimens if they are kept in an enclosed space and kept out of the hands of curious children and grandchildren.

Nice matchbox! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look up "realgar" under Wikipedia, one specimen at the end of the page says from Getchell mine.

So it seems aresenic stuff is not unkown from the mine. And yes, it is a strong poison please be careful and keep it from children.

Regards namxat

OP
OP
V

Vols

Apr 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks -- you are completely right now that I look at it. Very helpful information and I will be sure to keep it away from the kids.

My great uncle said my grandfather's father would do this stuff all the time and had several containers burn from different chemicals etc.

The note doesn't say Experiment it says Orpiment.

Orpiment is the naturally occurring mineral that is composed or the element arsenic (As[SUP]2[/SUP]) and the element sulfur (S[SUP]3[/SUP]). These two elements naturally combine and are indeed an Arsenic Sulfide.

Arsenic is a metalloid.
Sulfur is a non metallic element.

Arsenic and Sulfur can chemically combine with some metals but if they did they would be called an Arsenide - not a sulfide. They would not be the mineral Orpiment if they were to combine with a metal. Arsenic and Sulfur can not chemically combine with gold but they are sometimes found in the same hydrothermal deposits with gold.

Orpiment and Realgar, it's sister mineral, are poisonous and should not be handled or ingested. Please don't grind your mineral sample up and snort it or mix it with your tea. Although they are two of the most poisonous minerals they can be kept as specimens if they are kept in an enclosed space and kept out of the hands of curious children and grandchildren.

Nice matchbox! :thumbsup:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder if it's from the Gechel mine near Battle Mountain, NV? Lots of sulphide ore in that country. Good explanation, Barry!
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread