Silver & A Magnet

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On second thought Terry, just forget it. I don't know why I've invested so much in this thread anyway. You cant do it and I believe you.

Thats the spirit!

Actually, given the properties of the various metals, using a magnet to ascertain silver seems a bit dubious, as many other metals would react as well, even if one could 'feel' it.

I always fall back to the local pawn broker who has an XRF....

Sterling will have a lower density that fine silver, probably around 9g/cc, 10g/cc maybe

Sterling has a density of 10.3, while pure silver is 10.5....that difference may be a bit difficult to determine in a home setting.

edit: thanks Terry!

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeker, just to clarify, I don't use it to id silver in the field(as in rockhounding); I use it on .900 and above at flea markets and coin shows. There are a LOT of Chinese fake silver coins out there; more every day. See alibaba.

I'm not sure I'd trust a pawnbroker unless I knew him well! I've yet to visit one that didnt want Retail + 20% for his used stolen crap. 8-)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On second thought Terry, just forget it. I don't know why I've invested so much in this thread anyway. You cant do it and I believe you.
No Champ, don't give up on me so soon! In post #17 I CONFIRM your test. Yes, no doubt about it. The property is real. I went on to try it with a wheat cent, clad dime, and clad quarter. I hung them down about a foot using scotch tape so they could swing freely. ALL deflected when in close proximity of the neo magnet. (they "pulled" toward the coin) You have taught me something I never knew before. I heard something about it before but never in the context brought forth here. Also.... I was able to get an easily observed reaction by, instead of putting the silver dime in the palm, balancing the dime on a finger tip. When the magnet came near, the dime easily dipped, as you explained. Yes sir, you have taught me something I did not know before! I will remember it. Thank you. Please continue with these types of threads... I learned something! Terry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats the spirit!

Actually, given the properties of the various metals, using a magnet to ascertain silver seems a bit dubious, as many other metals would react as well, even if one could 'feel' it.

I always fall back to the local pawn broker who has an XRF....

Sterling has a density of 10.3, while pure silver is 10.5....that difference may be a bit difficult to determine in a home setting.

edit: thanks Terry!
Seeker, Champ actually has something there! Probably not to be used to distinguish pure from alloy but very real in the proper setting/purpose. TTC

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, neither, being diamagnetic, it is repelled by a magnet. If it is paramagnetic or ferromagnetic, it is attracted to a magnet.

Interesting video

Well done! I never knew of this. But i think that this is only practical in the lab and not in the field while hunting.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread