Silver & A Magnet

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A silver ring? Nope. TTC

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not if its a precious metal. Here is a good question. Is the ring attracted to the magnet, or is the magnet attracted to the ring? :icon_scratch:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver is diamagnetic. You can feel a slight repulsion if you use a rare earth magnet.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver is diamagnetic. You can feel a slight repulsion if you use a rare earth magnet.
ALL materials exhibit a certain amount of diamagnetism. Even water. Even magnetic materials! Some materials show more of the property than others but I believe it would be so slight in silver that it would have to be demonstrated under laboratory conditions. TTC

OP
OP
K

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool might have found a silver ring. No magnetic pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALL materials exhibit a certain amount of diamagnetism. Even water. Even magnetic materials! Some materials show more of the property than others but I believe it would be so slight in silver that it would have to be demonstrated under laboratory conditions. TTC

No, its easily felt on silver. Get a good Neo magnet (stronger the better, but 20# is plenty) and try it yourself. The larger the piece of silver the better. Half a dollar is Easy to feel; you may beed to work up to a dime.

To make it even easier, place the silver on a inclined glass slope where the coin is almost sliding and 'push' the coin with the magnet. This is my GoTo check when buying scrap silver.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool might have found a silver ring. No magnetic pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the diamagnetic test I outlined above or an acid test. Theres a lot of gray metals that aren't magnetic but aren't silver.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, its easily felt on silver. Get a good Neo magnet (stronger the better, but 20# is plenty) and try it yourself. The larger the piece of silver the better. Half a dollar is Easy to feel; you may beed to work up to a dime.

To make it even easier, place the silver on a inclined glass slope where the coin is almost sliding and 'push' the coin with the magnet. This is my GoTo check when buying scrap silver.

Martin Simon of UCLA physics lab, in part: "The forces created by diamagnetism are extremely weak, millions of times smaller than the forces between magnets and such common ferromagnetic materials as iron. However, in certain carefully arranged situations... " Doesn't sound like your every day field test would do it. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW I have 3 50 pounders. I am not at all saying you cannot move a piece of silver using this property, just that it is not a thing that can be "felt" in the hand. The difference between one metal and another would not be possible to discern. TTC

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I don't know what to tell you except that it is very easy to do. I have shown numerous people the effect and it is easily noticed. Have you tried it yet? (btw, your example doesn't apply)

You must have a rare earth magnet; normal ones aren't strong enough /sq inch. I read about it years ago in Wiki and didn't believe it until I actually tried it. You don't have to move anything, just feel the effect of the resistance. Again, it is VERY easy to notice with a strong neo magnet and a large piece of silver such as a half dollar. Even if all you have is a pre65 dime, you should be able to feel it.

If your 50#er is a rare earth magnet, Try It.

eta: you can push a pre65 dime across flat glass with a 60# rare earth magnet. I just did it.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I don't know what to tell you except that it is very easy to do. I have shown numerous people the effect and it is easily noticed. Have you tried it yet? (btw, your example doesn't apply)

You must have a rare earth magnet; normal ones aren't strong enough /sq inch. I read about it years ago in Wiki and didn't believe it until I actually tried it. You don't have to move anything, just feel the effect of the resistance. Again, it is VERY easy to notice with a strong neo magnet and a large piece of silver such as a half dollar. Even if all you have is a pre65 dime, you should be able to feel it.

If your 50#er is a rare earth magnet, Try It.

eta: you can push a pre65 dime across flat glass with a 60# rare earth magnet. I just did it.
I've got three fifty pound pull rare earths. I'll dust them off, if I can find them and give it a try. Give me a little while. TTC

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No hurry.
fyi, I am not some huggyfeely new ager or mystic. I consider myself a scientist and live by the scientific method.

As a rockhound, I also use the neo magnets and diamagnetic properties to help ID certain gemstones. The effect in rocks is weaker tho so what we do there is to float the stone/gem on a tiny styrofoam raft and push it with the magnet.
(chart I use: https://static.secure.website/wscfus/7885803/5552138/a57-ms-index-best-for-website.pdf )

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go Champ. As you can see..... no push...... Your turn. TTC

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the ring attracted to the magnet, or is the magnet attracted to the ring?

Actually, neither, being diamagnetic, it is repelled by a magnet. If it is paramagnetic or ferromagnetic, it is attracted to a magnet.

Interesting video

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok..... I was able to move the dime by hanging it on a foot-long piece of tape. Neat! But no way strong enough to "feel" the repulse in hand. I have no doubt the property exists. I just don't believe it is strong enough to use as a guide to identifying silver "except" in controlled conditions. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to "like" your post, Seeker, but it won't let me. TTC

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How strong is your magnet Terry? Most folks I show the effect to don't feel it with a 60# and dime the first time. We then go to the half, then the quarter, and then they can feel the dime. You need to feel the effect to learn it apparently. My method is to hold the coin in my palm and lightly swing the magnet over it; a very light holding of the magnet is key. I can feel it on a dime with a 10# neo magnet but I have done it for years.

And you can believe it or not. Its still America after all. Some people say things that certain metal detectors cant do but others just snicker and keep finding stuff.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another test for silver- a scale, and a graduated cylinder half full of water.

Just get the ring's weight and volume. Pure silver has a density of 10.5 grams per a cubic centimeter, much denser than base metals. Sterling will have a lower density that fine silver, probably around 9g/cc, 10g/cc maybe. Not an absolute test, but if it ain't dense enough it ain't silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread