Rocks under city parks?

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Might have been a repository for construction soil at one time. Have you been able to see the shapes as if they were hand laid, similar shapes/sizes, broken or rounded edges ? If you can, you might be able to match where in the area they came from.
Could they be natural occurring gravels? Are they"cemented"in "fines"or silts? This might be natural and simply capped with soil for this park.
Mark.

OP
OP
M

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....Might have been a repository for construction soil at one time. Have you been able to see the shapes as if they were hand laid, similar shapes/sizes, broken or rounded edges ? If you can, you might be able to match where in the area they came from.
Could they be natural occurring gravels? Are they"cemented"in "fines"or silts? This might be natural and simply capped with soil for this park.
Mark.

It isn't Natural, I found a metal fragment In a triangle shape, looked like it belonged to something, Who knows.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
probably part of the fill used before fill dirt was added. that is the same type set up in the park I am hunting now

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
typically before dirt fill is put in they use bank run or something to take up excess space .

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks, bottles and all sorts of other junk ends up in some parks. Many times lake grounds were dumping grounds for household junk and when the land was turned into park it wasn't cleaned up, just covered with soil and landscaping. One local park near me when through major revision recently and a huge bottle dump was uncovered. I thought they would hall it away but nope they just reburied them all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it Driveway Rock ? (Gravel)

Perhaps the area was prone to turning to Mud / swamp or very un-level
before they turned it into a Park.

SteveOrygun

Apr 15, 2017
Orygunistan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Born 4/17..
Fisher CZ3d W/Nasa Tom tune!
Whites V3i.... WOW!!😎
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug a school soccer field, 1"- basalt crushed covered by some grass..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
One park I hunt has a basement level ( about a foot below grade) of rubble from when the village burned long ago.
It does provide good drainage and answered how to get rid of post fire debris.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this Soccer field is on top of estimated 1,000,000 Tires

Untitled.jpg

there used to be a Mountain of illegally dumped tires here.
Once someone started it, everyone thought they were welcome to dump there too :icon_thumleft:
After it Caught Fire in '82 and again '85, they tried to get rid of them, but there was no place for that many.
finally someone decided to cover them with Netting to prevent them from Rising over the years,
I think it was Army Corp who covered them over and built the field.
won't find much there. perhaps some clad. built in the 80's I think.
if Rubber ever becomes Valuable it will be worth digging back up :laughing7:

09/18/1985 – STILL – 01:50 – Assistance to North Manheim Township; Tire pile on Gordon Nagle Trail. Chief sent Humane, West End, and Yorkville. In service: 12.5 hrs. 8 companies in all fought the fire including several tankers. The tires were owned by Willie Webb’s Tire Service on Rt. 61 south of Pottsville (and formerly of 8th & Mt. Hope Ave. until a very spectacular fire in March, 1982). It was estimated that, “a couple hundred thousand tires” were involved out of the estimated 1 million plus tires on the site. Front end loaders from North Manheim Township and Fidler Brothers Construction cut “fire breaks” in the tire pile. This is the location of the soccer fields today. Humane and American Hose were called back at 18:10. In service 17.5 hrs.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions