Helping figuring out what metal detector to purchase.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished introducing my grandfather to metal detecting. I'm from California but in Washington helping hin out after he had an accident and broke several ribs and can't do many things now. But took him to an old school site after a bunch of research the school was long gone just an over grown empty lot was rather hard to detected in but I managed to find a piece of a 1950s pop gun an old axe and some more toy parts I thought with my meager findings he'd be uninterested but he was hypted up about it. Well now he wants to buy a metal detector and is willing to spend a little over 1000 dollors for a metal detector what would you guys recommend in that price range I greatly appreciate any opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Racer 2
Minelab Safari
Whites MXT
Tesoro Vaquero
Teknitics T2

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry but I'd like to also add the Teknetics Patriot to the list. There are promo codes out there for $50 off which would buy you the detector for $399 direct from the manufacturer. With all the savings you can set him up with a couple digging tools, a good pin pointer, headphones, finds pouch etc. The patriot is similar to the Fisher F70. Now if he is intersted in the XP Deus, PM me.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,, that budget allows for a complete outfitting.
I would recommend a metal detector that can be used during rain or shine. On land or in fresh water.
Something with a fairly easy learning curve. That machine in my opinion would be the AT PRO. You will have more than enough money left over to add a Leche Digger and Garrett Carrot. I would also recommend the Gray Ghost Amphibians headphones.
Good luck on your choice and I wish Grandpa a speedy recovery.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxsport should be a consideration coming in at around $800, leaves enough money for a pin pointer and shovel. It is a great machine and has a easy learning curve and performs very very well.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thank you guys so much this is the reason I love this site so many good people on here.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He ended up getting this one not looking forward to teaching him to use it 20170506_154433.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread