Found this snake yesterday....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was up in the Birch Creek valley, near the old Lost Texas Jack silver mine. I was doing a little detecting, looki9ng for another silver ledge, and ran into this guy. I was at 6,500', and about 2' from the edge of a snowbank. He, or she, was too cold to have much movement. There was a rubble filed extending along the base of the hill, and I assume it spent the winter in those rocks. the temp was about 50, or 55 degrees. The snake was obviously out to get warmed by the sun. I came back a couple of hours later and it was gone. I think it's an Eastern Racer. I've never seen a snake of that color, in Idaho, before.
Jim
LTJ snake1.JPG LTJ snake2.JPG

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did it have a blunt-looking tail? I think it may be a rubber boa if it isn't the one you're considering.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you didn't send it to snake heaven. Don't know the species. I'm on the East Coast.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a rubber boa.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute animal. Looks like it wasn't interested in chomping you.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No fire and brimstone for the snake this time, Smokey? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya know guys, I thought it looked like a boa of some kind, had that heavy-body of a boa, and sort of a blunt tail, but when I looked up the snakes that inhabit Idaho, there was no mention of boas, and I've never seen one before. Can't believe they exist at that elevation...amazing!
Jim

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After looking that up, that's exactly what it was. You guys that called it are sharp!
Jim

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking that up, that's exactly what it was. You guys that called it are sharp!
Jim

If it is an invasive specie please dispatch them as soon as possible. They are destroying the wild life in the Everglades. Maybe someone let it loose as a pet or it escaped. I doubt it will survive your winters there though!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is an invasive specie please dispatch them as soon as possible. They are destroying the wild life in the Everglades. Maybe someone let it loose as a pet or it escaped. I doubt it will survive your winters there though!

They are actually a native species, believe it or not.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trippy native Boa! Glad you didn't dispatch this very mild mannered snake. Rubber Boas are extremely docile, and are virtually never known to bite.

Rubber boas have been known to inhabit a wide variety of habitat types from grassland, meadows and chaparral to deciduous and conifer forests, to high alpine settings

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Trippy native Boa! Glad you didn't dispatch this very mild mannered snake. Rubber Boas are extremely docile, and are virtually never known to bite.

Rubber boas have been known to inhabit a wide variety of habitat types from grassland, meadows and chaparral to deciduous and conifer forests, to high alpine settings
Yup...Dan's right, and so is MW. These snakes are all over the west, but need moist, moderate temps. Don't do well in the drier climates and areas, like deserts. They tend to be nocturnal, so aren't often seen. I rarely kill any snakes anymore. I might kill a rattler, but only if it was in a place where it might be run into by my dog. Northern rattlers tend to be pretty shy, and non-aggressive. They usually give you plenty of warning, and at a distance. But dog's aren't really smart about snakes, so I usually give up on prospecting snake country once the weather warms. That boa was a pleasant surprise to find.
Jim

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with the Rubber Boa choice. I've seen a number of them in Idaho. Not TOO common, but not extremely rare, either.
luvsdux

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky that you did not step on it. Snakes taste like chicken and they are free food.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd go with the Rubber Boa choice. I've seen a number of them in Idaho. Not TOO common, but not extremely rare, either.
luvsdux
I would think your area, especially heading east, would be good habitat for them. Not too cold, and plenty wet enough. There are probably more than you know. :-)
Jim

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the racers here are black

Top Member Reactions