Found a cache! This year has been unreal.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has really been an unreal year. Actually two years. I suppose it has to do with the amount of time detecting. If you don't go out, you won't find anything. Anyway, Darryl and I went back to our farm in PA. The farmer was just in there, so this was the last dig of the year. Darryl got tied up in traffic, so I decided to check out a couple woodslines and hedgerows. Please check out Darryl's video from yesterday. Anyway, he was in traffic and I wasn't moving too quickly, so I just messed around to see if there were any targets worth digging. I went back over to the side of the field he found his silver cache on, and after a few minutes found a Donald Trump HHHUUGGGEEEE signal on the edge of the woods. To dig or not to dig, that is the question? Thought it was probably another big aluminum blob, there is a lot of melted aluminum on the farm, but decided to wait for Darryl.

The woods are now off limits due to copperheads and possible timber rattlers. Nasty creatures I don't want to meet. Anyway, he got there and we decided to do more videotaping (actually, nobody uses tape anymore), and I have this new cool camera so.....

He found 6 more silvers in the field we found what I'm going to be calling the first "cache" field. Got a bunch of trash also. We generally ignore the iron and aluminum foil signals with our detectors and don't dig them.

After that we went to other side of the field where we found most of our Civil War stuff. We think it was a picket post. There was a large body of Union troops about 5 miles away, but 5 miles is an eternity.

There were we think 3 houses and a barn on the property at one time. There is so much trash in one area, you can't even get a machine to ground balance.

Anyway......

Anyway......

Anyway......

(Takes deep breath.) We finally got over to the hhhuuuggggeee signal I had located but not dug. Last hhhuuuggggeee signal I dug I thought was aluminum was a Revolutionary War belt plate. Now it had rained recently, it was damp underneath but dusty on top the ground. Place is windswept beyond redemption. When my buddy Ed and I were there, we were almost blown over by the wind back in January.

I guess you should just watch the video, ''cause I'm still not believing this happened. Apologies for the sound, my main video processing program crashed. As soon as we got these out I realized my gold ring was missing so I had what most people would call a "fit". I thought it had come off when I kept putting the gloves on and off. That little incident totally distracted me from detecting! We went looking with our machines for the ring but didn't find it! Phooey! So it was almost dark, I got home and found the little beastie on the counter top. Note to self: do NOT bury valuables outside, it will get lost and try to REMEMBER where you put stuff! Enjoy. View attachment IMG_0289.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZp5KeXYi0&feature=youtu.be

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wholee Molee!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! :headbang: :notworthy:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you are on cloud nine, enjoy the high, finds like that don't happen very often.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like never. We're now wondering in the person who had this was compulsive or not trusting banks or some such thing. Like I once posted, my grandmother hid money in her house, but that's INSIDE.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Smokey, here's another banner for you! Congratulations :)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Morgan, first Barber half, first Walking Liberty half, (now I have a few), first seated quarter, first Barber quarter. That is only the THIRD war nickel I have ever dug. I think only #4 and 5 Washington quarters. I have only dug about 3 mercs before this! It's finally starting to sink in today. Now mind you, there are no key dates and nothing in really great condition. These coins would more than likely go for melt or just above it except for the seated and the two standing liberties, both liberties have 1929 dates on them. (Hate that design). The little Barber dime is pretty clear, though. I rubbed it a little too much.

AND I FOUND MY RING! ON THE COUNTER WHERE I LEFT IT. I must be oatmeal for brains.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoo hoo wow what a great find congrats guys

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rained today, and fighting a cold, so the cat stayed in. Still playing with the new "toys".

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good. Lord.

I don't even know what to say about this other than you can never leave this site again. Wow. Just... Wow. Congrats and another banner vote coming up!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the only treasure hunting website I regularly visit. So much variety here! I even got excited the other day and bought a quart of marbles just 'cause they looked nice!

I am going to renew my passport in June. It expires after that. I however will skip going to England, and the way things have been going will spare all of you finding the Holy Grail. That way the world won't end when I do find it. (Although that's Monty Python and King Arthur legend.) har har har

Maybe get out tomorrow. Got 2 new permissions today. Rain should be gone be tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These copperheads can't eat a whole cat! I'd have a nervous breakdown though. Did you know they smell like cucumbers? If you're out in the woods this time of year and smell cucumbers, oh oh! I was in my mother in law's garden once and smelled fresh cucumbers. I didn't remember her planting any. She hadn't. Nuff said.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!! BANNER ALL THE WAY! I could only dream of finding a cache like that, or any cache! I see a war nickel in the cache, probably buried in the 1940's or 1950's, was there any sign of a container or any sort nearby?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic huge silver cache, congratulations! :notworthy: :notworthy:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, did you catch the video? Just in the last 10 days I've been playing cameraperson. I love photography, ever have since I was really little. First camera was a Brownie. There was a relatively thin walled glass jar with a screw type lip, about the size of a pint I guess, was in a lot of pieces. We were guessing as to the size. The lid was gone. Reminded me of a mustard, pickle or mayonnaise jar versus a standard canning jar. Canning jars have thicker glass. I'd say the jar dates to within 10 years of the newest coin. Just a guess. Didn't find any distinguishing marks on the pieces.

Here's the video link again.

Sorry about the sound volume, my most excellent top of the line video editor program decided not to load the audio so I used another program. Just turn the sound down some.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
The find might have been a kids treasure. The $$ amount isn't that much but to a kid in the day it probably was.
I also hid my stash as a kid.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
was this on the farm I went to?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Jeff, it was. Darryl's cache was on the same farm. We were looking in new areas.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
while I am excited and happy for you (wwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my stash in a box. Mom found it and took it to a bank and I saw it no more! Never could collect coins after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread