Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By smokeythecat
  • 1 Post By ivan salis
  • 1 Post By Oddjob
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat

Thread: How to ask an Octogenarian for permission to detect

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Nov 2012
    5775 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)

How to ask an Octogenarian for permission to detect

Now, I've met the lady before. Seen her a few times, been to her house before to do some photography about 2 years ago. So I went over today, it was drizzling a little. Started walking up the house and her, I guess, son, said he was 65, we got talking about how funny we walk, anyway, I ask him for permission and he said sure. He remembered me. So the lady comes out and wanted to know what we were discussing. So I told her of course. Well she did not want me digging in her lawn. Now she lives 2 doors down from some good friends of mine. She did not remember me. She did not remember my friends, but did remember their street.

House was built in 1853. Yard is probably full of junk. She said I could detect 1 time, while she was there, but not on a Sunday, but didn't know when she was going to be home. I was very polite.

I don't even want to bother digging there. It was a put down from my viewpoint.

I hope she doesn't drive anymore. If my memory gets that bad, well, figure it out....

And you know what's sad, I have a very, very special place in my heart for our older generation. They are very special people. I did Sunday visitations with my church to nursing homes for 7 years till my mom got Alzheimer's, then I couldn't take it any more. I hope she doesn't drive anymore, cause somebody could get killed. Kind of sad story. Now my aunt was sharp up till about 95. She's 102 now.

I am not downing the elderly so don't go there. I'm getting old too, da cat is gettin' there! I had to rephrase this slightly.
    Last edited by smokeythecat; May 06, 2017 at 02:15 PM.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2149 times
    I hope to never experience memory loss like that, it is one of my biggest fears. Then again, maybe it would be nice to forget some things!

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    2767 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    what did the 80 year old pirate say on his birthday ?--- yep --"aye matey"
    Joe hunter likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC
    XP Deus Sovereign GT
    3413 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Share with her some history from her yard and I'll bet there's a good chance you'll get some more permissions!

Charter Member
    us
    Retired

Aug 2012
    Great Falls
    Radiodetection RD1000 Minelab CTX 17 DD 6 & 10X5 DD Coiltek. GPZ 14 & 19 Coil JW Fisher Pulse 8X 5 & 16 coils
    4062 times
    Dig it anyway, if she comes outside and catches you just tell her you are from her imagination, and since she is having such an odd she concocted up some crazy figment of a person using a grub worm finder and digging them up.
    kingskid1611 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

us
    Apr 2017
    iowa
    Golden micromax, compadre.
    105 times
    I'd ask the son when would be a good time. Let him talk to her and decide the day. With a Little luck she may warm up, especially if you find something from her family's past.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    5775 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Maybe in the fall. Too hot right now. Pulling silver out of my next door neighbor's yard right now, go figure, and then off to the beach during the summer. Got a lot of GOLD on the beach last year including a 1945 Mexican ugly gold coin. Guess it fell out of somebody's jewelry bezel. Got a whole summer ahead of me, maybe will find something else.
    Oddjob likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links