HELP!!!

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How close are you swinging your coil to the ground?

Is there an arc in your swing?

Do you GB your machine at every new site?

Have you tried burying the found coin at a known depth, and then passing your coil over it again?

Are you using "standard-coin" mode or are you using "pro-zero" mode?

Other factors could be involved.

Are you in a highly mineralized area, or does it happen all the time?

Are you in a highly electrified area, or does this happen all the time? (meaning power wires, hydro plant)?

How old is your machine and how long has this been happening?

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is their a coil protector on the coil?

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never pay any attention to that information. If I'm going to dig it, I dig it.

OP
OP
W

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine is 2 weeks old. it seems to happen everywhere. I ground balance every time I start, no power lines high power anyway. No coil cover, tried every mode, have not tried burying a coin but I will now. I swing 1 or 2 inches depending on grass heights no arc that I'm aware of I'm sure it happens but not constant.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that it is a new machine and complete with the stock coil?

First if you have it, make sure that you keep the coil cover on.

You don't lose any depth and it will protect your coil from getting scratched, or worse chipped.

If you don't have a coil cover, then I would suggest spending the few bucks and getting one.

Check and make sure that your connections are tight where the cord attaches to the control box.

Is your cord twisted up the coil the way it is suppose to be?

Do you have any metal or anything attached to the shaft near the coil?

Is the bolt that attaches the coil to the machine a factory plastic bolt, or do you have something else there?

Target sizing will vary as to how deep the target shows up on your machine. For an example if you are finding a coin near or on the surface, but you coil is off the ground too far, it will show you a deeper depth.

If it is a really tiny object (smaller than a dime lets say) the machine will sometimes have a hard time giving the proper depth.

If none of these things work or are true, then try doing a factory reset on your machine. To do a factory reset press and hold the power button for 5 to 10 seconds (until the detector produces a fast double beep).

Let me know how that works out?

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a short time the coil protector that you don't need will fill with fine sand and cause erratic display errors! Trash it!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a short time the coil protector that you don't need will fill with fine sand and cause erratic display errors! Trash it!
Bad advice, just clean out your coil cover more often. You really really don't wanna damage your coil or wear through it.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad advice, just clean out your coil cover more often. You really really don't wanna damage your coil or wear through it.

Even worse advice...you will never ever ever ever damage it or put a hole in it. Mmmmmm ...... nevermind , go ahead and use it ! lol hahahahahaha
HH

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bad advice. Too bad I don't still have it, I would send you a pic of the coil I ruined the first year I had it by while hunting without a coil cover along rocky shorelines. Coil covers are cheap, coils are not, and it only takes a second to pull off the cover, clean it and stick it back on.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most people are lazy. They will not remove the coil
Protector regularly and clean it.
Susan, unless you are the Incredible Hulk because it's no easy task!
Geese!
I once chipped a large section of my whites coil on a rock when I slipped and almost fell but my coil saved me! I used ABS Cement from any home improvement store and permanently sealed it !
Used it for years until the display quit! It's All about experience, And I have it!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have an idea why my AT pro is telling me that everything is 8" deep??? Driving me crazy!!! Found a wheat 2" deep but the pro says 8 8 8 8 please help thanks.
Hey Walldow, many factors can effect the depth reading on your machine. I pay little attention to it. If you hunt in pro mode you can learn to judge the size and depth of your target by the audio. For example, if you get a strong signal, raise the coil slowly off the ground while swinging, if you are still getting a good signal at 10 or 12 inches then it's a large target close to the surface. As far as the coil cover goes, to each his own but your machine is a big investment, why take a chance? I remove mine and inspect and clean my coil every three or four hunts.
Good luck.

HH, RN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread