cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So whie walking through a local park the other day, this tree caught my eye. It s colonial Pennsylvania so I don't think Native Americans. Maybe it's just a regular tree....maybe not. What do you guys think? The pic is the angle that caught my eye. The youtube link is a close-up walk around of the tree.
IMG_9528.JPG

https://youtu.be/8dKG3O1YPYQ

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly a good spot to detect around. I could see kids and adults on that horizontal limb.

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! It would be a great spot to detect around..... Unfortunately, in this particular spot, detecting is extremely off limits. :(

pebble

Apr 25, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
TM808, Arc geo logger
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is a tree that has been shaped by humans, the KGC shaped trees like that on their trails it is called a Hoot Owl tree. I would look around to see if there are other trees that have been shaped, go in the direction the horizontal limb is pointing. Pebble

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
go in the direction the horizontal limb is pointing. Pebble

I'd say that's a pretty good tip. It is a shame this spot is off limits.

I fear the "off limits" trend will continue to grow.

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup Im familiar with the KGC, but I didn't think they had much action going on in south-east PA. However, the thought of a KGC trail up here gets me rev'd up and ready to search! I also know native americans made these trees to guide them to water, spititual places, etc., but that doesn't fit in here. Native Americans were long gone from the area before this tree started growing.
So....KGC has been tossed in the hat. Ill, bite...., but who else would have/ could have done this? I'll tell you the park it's in. Maybe it'll spur some ideas. It is Valley Forge National Park. The same place George Washington spent the winter of 1777-8 while Prussian generals taught the Anerican Army how to fight. Thats why I cant md here, but this tree line does lead out of the park.....eventually.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just myself, I would say there's no truth at all that there were 'pointer' trees made and used by KGC or anybody. HOWEVER, I really like readin Hillbilly Bob's writings, and you need to keep an open mind about it. I've seen some trees bent at that angle in SW Oklahoma by Comanches or Kiowas to point the way to a popular campsite, it was said, and I really thought that was a most impractical type of sign marker, as it's gonna be a long time before they're noticeable, but they do indeed point to the campsite. And trees do form like that naturally from time to time out in the woods, most folks just don't get out enough to see that though.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No real size given bit if that is a regular size POSTED sign the tree is maybe 45 years old.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Are you Fellas suggesting that you cannot even walk around the area with a detector.....not physically probing ? Well THAT sucks.
Hey, I'm just removing these gold bars because they're a trip hazard and we wouldn't want the little kiddys to hurt themselves! And I promise I'll dispose of these hazards in a responsible manner free of charge to the parks! Have a nice day Mr. ranger! Do you have any other remediation projects like this for me?

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm just removing these gold bars because they're a trip hazard and we wouldn't want the little kiddys to hurt themselves! And I promise I'll dispose of these hazards in a responsible manner free of charge to the parks! Have a nice day Mr. ranger! Do you have any other remediation projects like this for me?

Ha! Gave me a chuckle.

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No real size given bit if that is a regular size POSTED sign the tree is maybe 45 years old.

Yessir these are regular sized POSTED signs. So, being about 45 years old, what does that tell you? That its probably a big nothing other than a natural tree? Or.....?
I know trees can do some crazy things on their own, and Ive seen some very oddly shaped trees.... This one piqued my interests more than others in my area though.......

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here in the north east trees were used often as marker trees.have seen many.they were used by others to than just indians

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just myself, I would say there's no truth at all that there were 'pointer' trees made and used by KGC or anybody. HOWEVER, I really like readin Hillbilly Bob's writings, and you need to keep an open mind about it. I've seen some trees bent at that angle in SW Oklahoma by Comanches or Kiowas to point the way to a popular campsite, it was said, and I really thought that was a most impractical type of sign marker, as it's gonna be a long time before they're noticeable, but they do indeed point to the campsite. And trees do form like that naturally from time to time out in the woods, most folks just don't get out enough to see that though.

First Nations (Native American) peoples really did do this. I've spent far too much time investigating this to believe otherwise. I've traced the trails and compared with the oldest maps available. Using GPS to plot the trees and then overlaying the maps with modern maps it all lines up.

I've been told that the trees were created by weather -even lightning. What do you think?

bear-tree-side.jpg

Closeup of same tree:

bear-tree-close.jpg

Specific marks are on the FN bent trees because of how they were bent. Some were even bent so that they could be used in leather tanning ... quite practical.

I've also seen the hoot owl trees in Arkansas. Those sometimes get quite interesting and original. I've seen one with a face at twice a man's height overlooking what appears to be an Indian grave yard (Now a state park in Arkansas).

There were trees that were bent, but there are also "casualty trees" that closely resemble the bent ones. Just have to know what to look for.

Interesting story: Discussion Forums ? View topic - Help Please ... you might look at other parts of the thread as I know the author, and he is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread