Help Finding Old Treasure/Metal Detecting Magazine Article

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

Allow me to preface this request with a story...

I used to manage a couple of record stores (yes, vinyl records!) and would hate when customers would come into the store and say, "I heard this song on the radio just now and I don't know any of the words or title and I can't even hum the tune but it was sung by some guy...do you have that record?" AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!

Now for my request...

Way back in the mid-to-late 70's there was a short story in a treasure/metal detecting magazine that featured a young man who had amazing AURAL detection/discrimination skills. He could tell by tone with great accuracy whether the coin in the soil was a nickel, dime, quarter, etc. The paraphrased tagline was something like, "If he starts to give the date on the coin from the tones, we'll call shenanigans." Does anyone remember that article and can you point me to the particular magazine? (I just heard you all go, "AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!")

I understand chances are slim and any help is appreciated but I have just always wondered if he is now a "Famous Detectorist".

Thanks for going "AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!" with me.

Respectfully,

Batch

P.S. And where is Gypsy Heart to go AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!! with us when we need her?

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope somebody finds that article for you, I'd love to read it myself. I'm still a sound guy, but I never was that good!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started getting Western & Eastern Treasures magazine in the mid 70's and I don't recall that article, but I could be wrong. I'd suggest you contact the treasure magazines directly with your request.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
w&e could probably help you.
I use sound now to tell the difference between, silver, cooper, nickle, iron, etc.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions