Need a quick answer about AT Pro VDI numbers.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting in the woods yesterday and got a great signal under a large tree root. It was ringing up 84 to 87. No lower and no higher. Can this be anything that's trash? I'm thinking silver quarter or large cent, but I want other opinions. I've dug a few ox knobs in this area, but they all rang up in the high 80's and low 90's, so I'm ruling that out for now. Doubt if it's a clad quarter, since I've never gotten one here. I've found 2 LC's and 2 silver quarters at this spot, though.

It's right under a 6" diameter root. I don't want to cut that root, but I was thinking of going under or to the side of it. There's a couple of smaller roots on each side, so I'll have to hack one or both of them to get under the main root. Do you guys think it's worth it? Am I going to get used on this deal? Let me know if you ever dug anything in the 84 to 87 range that was junk. Need a quick reply, since I'm going to attempt it in an hour or so. Thanks!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every repeatable signal is worth it. Dig it, especially that tight on the vdi.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tim, I've had other things come up in that range and it's frustrating. A larger piece of aluminum kinda balled up or bent badly will do it. Looks looks like from your avitar you have an AT Pro, so i assume you hit the iron audio. I've had large pieces of iron occasionally hit high like that too. Usually when that happens, the depth will be off though. I just dug a small bell out in the woods that hit 80 something. You never know.....but i would go back and dig it!

Hammer287

Mar 28, 2017
Northwest Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get those numbers on my AT pro when I hit old rusted iron. The iron discrimination is on but like others suggested you should dig it when you can. I had a signal like that today and I dug it and lo and behold I found my third crotal bell. I just posted it now in the general discussion forum. Good luck

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! Now I'm worried that it's just a hunk of rusty iron! That would be a huge disappointment, but I guess I'll deal with that if I ever get this thing dug up! A bell would be great, though. At least it's something worth saving.

I spent 45 minutes working on this stupid target today, but no luck. Still can't find it or get my pinpointer to locate it. I cut two smaller roots with a hatchet, but not much help. The tree grew on a hunk of shale, so that's stopping me as well. I broke up a lot of the shale with the poll of my hatchet, so I did make some progress. My thinking now is the heck with the tree and bring a Sawzall or a chainsaw to take out that big root! It's just a small maple tree, so no big loss. They're common as dirt around here.

After doing all this work, the signal is now a steady 81. It could still be a silver dime or even a reale, so I'm not giving up hope yet. I'll keep you updated on this saga. I need to take a day off and regroup tomorrow. Got to be a way to get to this target...

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tim, Don't give up man! You'll always wonder if you do. It could be something awesome. Nuff said from the guy that doesn't have to hack at it. Good luck!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not giving up, just taking a break. That capped bust dime ain't going nowhere! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread