Where does all the iron come from?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may be a topic discussed before but i was just curious. It seems like every old house is infested with scrap iron. Big chunks, small chunks and every chunk between! I just don't get it. Why so much iron? Did people carry it in their pockets? Did we have iron deficient people walking around sucking on iron bars as if they were candy? Im perplexed. Any ideas? I would be curious to see what kind of iron other people are finding. If you show me yours i will show you mine!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
little green gremlins deposit it there . JUST to tick you off :(

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right. Or its a big government conspiracy.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How old do you mean? I understand what you mean though.

In Virginia I found on a permission property where a house use to be in the 1940's. Torn down long ago, they literally threw everything in the back yard. It was a mine field of crap. Old bottles caps aluminum iron everything.

These places are hard to hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old do you mean? I understand what you mean though.

In Virginia I found on a permission property where a house use to be in the 1940's. Torn down long ago, they literally threw everything in the back yard. It was a mine field of crap. Old bottles caps aluminum iron everything.

These places are hard to hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most of the houses date from the early 1900s or before. Lots of flat thick iron with no real use that i know of. some square some long and rectangular and others with odd shapes. Maybe everybody was a black smith?

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's because in the 1800s and early 1900s, everything was made with iron. Kind of like plastic today. There where no dumpsters or trash collection so when things broke they just got tossed. Like mentioned above, those sites are hard to hunt but they can hide some great finds.

HH, RN

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the iron I find when detecting old sites here comes from old wood burning stoves, which makes me think what could have broke that stove apart like that? Food for thought.

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the iron I find when detecting old sites here comes from old wood burning stoves, which makes me think what could have broke that stove apart like that? Food for thought.

Kids! They break everything, then they break the broken pieces.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with what has been said here about iron in the yards of the older homes. Five of us got permission to hunt a one acre home site dating from 1831. Three guys worked the open back yard and didn't dig a single coin. I worked the front and found 14 coins and did notice an abundance of iron but not as bad as the back yard. I went back and tried the backyard and I got two to three iron hits for every sweep of the coil. Impossible to do anything. These people didn't just throw their trash out into just one area away from the house. They basically threw it out everywhere in the backyard! Most likely they didn't cut the grass back their either so it wasn't an eyesore with all the tall grass.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I have it on good authority that Tom saves his iron scrap and periodically travels the country, seeding old properties with it as he goes.

And those rotted zincolns at your beach? That's also his work.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it on good authority that Tom saves his iron scrap and periodically travels the country, seeding old properties with it as he goes.

And those rotted zincolns at your beach? That's also his work.

LOL...so now we know where to send all that iron.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found 50+ pieces on 15 foot of roadway 150 yards from the house, including 8 (so far) horseshoes. Recent rains have exposed the stuff. A metal detector indicates there are probably 50 more pieces there. We found the location of a farrier shop we were looking for. A couple of you guys and I will soon look for the expected stage stop that it serviced. Have to wait for the saturated soil to dry up a little more. TTC

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
trashy humans infest every where they live with iron --want to find a homestead / camp site find the iron...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread