Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: TO ALL DIGGERS: THIS IS IMPORTANT HEALTH-WISE –> PLEASE READ!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    1719 times
    Prospecting
    Best defense is to treat your outdoor clothing with Sawyers Permethrin. Then get some Picaridin insect repellant for your exposed skin. You can get both at Walmart. I've had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and don't ever want to catch it again...bad stuff. Or Lyme disease. I often even sleep in my treated clothes when camping, to be sure a tick, that I brought back to the camper, doesn't get me in my sleep. These tick-borne diseases are no joke folks.
    Jim
    The_Piratess likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2013
    NJ
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F22, Garrett Pro Pointer
    179 times
    Coin roll searching, MD'ing, gemstone & fossil shark tooth hunting, and drag racing
    On Saturday I bought "Quantum Health Insect Repellent, Natural, Buzz Away Extreme" in both a 4oz trial size spray (for use at home) and a 24 towelette box (to keep in the truck). It's supposed to be good for mosquitos, black flies, fleas, and ticks. We'll see if it works (IF it ever stops raining here in NJ long enough for me to get back out there).

us
    Dennis

Dec 2014
    MA
    Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
    321 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great Information, excellent
    thank you
    The_Piratess likes this.
    Dennis Gareau
    Managing Director
    MetalDetectors.com
    dgareau@metaldetectors.com
    866-749-9506

Charter Member
    us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    "Over there"
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    10204 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (5)
    All good info. I've had Lymes 4 times having grown up on Eastern Long Island. Actually lived on Martha's Vineyard too.

Now, I act like I have dementia when people ask where my sites are.

Thanks for posting

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 12
    Colonial State Coppers - 7
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 107
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 90
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - 800-900

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1852 Trimmy trimmy trime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C
    1749 King George II Farthing (mint fresh)

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    Mar 2016
    Hawkeye State - Area 515
    Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
    2225 times
    Gimme your jewels
    Once my mother-in-law scoffed at me as I sprayed my kids down with deet, "That stuff is so bad for them!"

I gave her a look of disapproval and said, "Do you know what is worse then Deet? No? Lyme disease and encephalitis!"

She shut up.
    The_Piratess and VaNana like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tess, but only if you're nice...

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
    1020 times
    Less than 50% of people bitten by a tick carrying Lyme will end up with a Bull's Eye rash. The initial symptoms of Lyme are usually flu-like or a general feeling of malaise. A deer tick is about the size of a sesame seed. The nymph deer tick is about the size of a poppy seed and must have a blood meal in order to develop into an adult or it will die. They are found in/on trees, bushes, tall grasses, fallen leaves, tree/branch cuttings and especially where there is moisture.

The current ELISA test as mandated by the CDC misses 90%+ of Lyme infections as there are various types and they only test for a few. If you have it and are lucky enough that it actually does show up on the ELISA test, then you will be allowed to have a Western Blot test done which is more accurate. It still misses quite a few and doesn't test for all strains. The most common strain in the U.S. is Borellia burgdorferi but there are more and more are still being found. Lyme disease is never by itself as there are many co-infections with it such as babesia, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis and many others. Often these co-infections with Lyme require different medications and treatment modalities. Having Lyme diagnosed and treated immediately is your best hope for recovery! Imogex labs have the best and most accurate testing. Two to six weeks of Doxycycline 100mg. twice per day is recommended depending upon how fast you were diagnosed and only if you were diagnosed within the first 30 days. Please take this very seriously as Lyme Disease is extremely debilitating and can be fatal!
    Last edited by The_Piratess; Jun 04, 2017 at 07:24 AM.
    DaytonaRacer and RustyGold like this.

"I don't want to sail with this ship of fools." - Karl Wallinger

us
    Greg

Oct 2015
    Vilonia AR
    BH Land Ranger Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Garrett 350
    9 times
    Metal Detecting
    DndEnd

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    444 times
    If you wake up and find a tick stuck to your belly, does that mean you have lyme disease?

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    1020 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Pueblo View Post
    If you wake up and find a tick stuck to your belly, does that mean you have lyme disease?
    No it does not. If you live in Arizona, then the odds are that you probably do not also. There are not many cases of Lyme disease in Arizona. A lot of people who have or have had Lyme disease move to Arizona for that reason as it is mostly dry and arid which is not conducive for ticks as they require more moisture to thrive. However if you get a Bulls Eye rash in that area, start not feeling well or unusually tired and if you just want to be sure then have a test done. Hope this helps.
    Old Pueblo and RustyGold like this.

Charter Member
    us

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    1020 times
    Powassan Virus is even more dangerous than Lyme Disease. It is potentially fatal. Powassan virus differs in Lyme in that it can be transferred from a tick to a human in a matter of minutes. Unlike Lyme which is a bacteria, the Powassan is a virus so the options are much less to do anything about it. Two more cases reported in Maine have health officials on high alert as agencies across the nation brace for a particularly high-population tick season. So be careful out there and HH!

Powassan virus: Potentially fatal tick disease that can be transmitted in minutes reported in Maine | Fox News
    Last edited by The_Piratess; Jun 06, 2017 at 09:08 PM.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    444 times
    Thank Jesus. One time I was sleeping on a couch at my grandmothers when I was a kid and woke with a tick stuck to me, near my belly button. My grandmas poodle used to get them sometimes and I guess the spot I chose to sleep in was the dog's spot.
    The_Piratess likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    2210 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Digger View Post
    DndEnd
    ? ?
    The_Piratess likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    2210 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Charter Member
    us
    May 2013
    NJ
    BH Tracker IV, Fisher F22, Garrett Pro Pointer
    179 times
    Coin roll searching, MD'ing, gemstone & fossil shark tooth hunting, and drag racing
    Oh wonderful. Thanks, creskol.

ca
    Apr 2004
    Canada
    Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
    6 times
    Take this for what you will, and I don't mean to be pushy or give false hope with what I'm going to say.

If I were in a situation where a tick was involved, I'd be trying to boost my immune system to fight off any problems. The best way I've personally tested is through homemade kefir, made from full grains, not that powdered stuff you may find for sale online. Kefir comes in two forms: water, and milk. I've been drinking the water kefir for a few years now and I'll illustrate its effectiveness with a simple history of my allergies. Ever since I was a kid I've had horrible summer allergies, with ragweed being one of the worst offenders. This was a seasonal issue every single year with no exception. Then one spring I tried water kefir, I drank it every day and then summer arrived and nothing happened....no runny nose, no itching eyes, no sneezing, no need to take anti-histamines. I went for a walk one of those days and asked my mother casually what the plants we were walking through were. She replied that they were ragweed. I was walking through a field of ragweed and felt 100% fine.

Kefir is a live bacterial culture that benefits the immune system, I recommend it to everyone I can because I know it works. There are those who of course would discredit me, usually "scientists"(and I do use that term loosely)and say that my body just healed itself. To that I say; Harry Potter is for kids, that type of healing doesn't happen randomly and out of nowhere. It wasn't a placebo effect either as I didn't know anything about what I was drinking at the time, I was very skeptical.

Whether it helps people with Lyme disease is not for me to say, all I am saying is that it helps your immune system. You do however need to drink it every day just like water, otherwise the benefits fade.

Cheers,

Prime
    Last edited by Prime; Jul 08, 2017 at 06:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links