TO ALL DIGGERS: THIS IS IMPORTANT HEALTH-WISE –> PLEASE READ! - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: TO ALL DIGGERS: THIS IS IMPORTANT HEALTH-WISE –> PLEASE READ!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2018
    South Carolina
    Sovereign gt, Tesoro compadre
    5 times
    Meteorites
    What would be too late for that long round of antibiotics? Most of my tick bites stay looking bad for about a month.
    A2coins and Reanm8er like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    Missouri
    AT Garrett Max
    81 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very good article indeed, I used to Manage an Emergency room seen a few of these. Responses from the above posts are very well written...always look beyond the Obvious text book...very serious stuff.
    creskol likes this.
    Have detector, Will Travel RJW

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3524 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Knock on wood, I've got a great immune system and seldom ever get a cold or virus. I'm positive I've had a tick-borne virus at least twice. The first time I got Bell's Palsy and the second time cellulitis. For those who don't know, it's a pre-cursor for flesh eating virus. I don't know what physiological changes they do to your system but, now, every time I get a new bite every bite I've ever had lights up like crazy. A man in my home town was bitten by a lone star tick. He regained his strength after a long fight but can no longer eat red meat. No beef, no venison, no lamb, no goat or bear even!

When I was a kid we crawled through the tall fescue playing war or sometimes just to see if we could spot the Bob Whites nesting. We ran into box turtles, salamanders, strawberries deer tracks and the occasional yellow jacket's nest but hardly ever a tic. Now the Bob Whites are gone and the ticks are rampant.

My best defense is to cover up. I wear either gum boots or WWII leggings. A long sleeve shirt a bandana scarf and hat with side curtains. I will only use "Off" on my outer garments and boots. Another defense is thermal underwear. It will protect you from the heat as well as the cold!

Best wishes!
    Phil

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    1173 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Tom View Post
    I don't get your drift here.Are you saying that Lyme and other tick diseases are BS or the treatments available are? This is one very serious issue.

are not
    I am saying that our current technologies, Lyme shouldn't be an issue anymore. But there is no money to be made to fix it so people suffer.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Pistol

May 2014
    Baytown, Tx.
    Garrett ace 350, AT Pro
    21 times
    Metal Detecting
    On another health note, A tetanus shot every ten years is advisable also. We don't hear much of tetanus anymore but why be the one to bring it back to the limelite. Digging in soil we all know contains many many sharp objects to cut your hands.
    Dilodigr
    Crusin' thru life and searchin' for it's treasures
    Member of: Lost My Stuff.Com
    Coinshooters.com
    Treasure Hunters Assoc.of Pasadena

us
    Mar 2004
    Severn, Maryland
    None
    3199 times
    Cache Hunting
    Ok here's the tricks for staying healthy. Either use Cutter's Backwoods or Rapell (either one of them.) Before putting on your clothes, spray your socks, and pants and long sleeve shirt. Let them dry and then put them on. The spray is in the cloth, you can't sweat it off. You can tuck your pant cuffs into the top of your socks if you want to. No chiggers, Ticks, Skitters. or Horse Flies!
    Second Heat Exaustion is lack of Water! Heat Stroke is lack of Salt! Heat Exaustion Takes 2-4 days depending on how hot with Humidity. Heat Stroke is 2-4 HOURS for Death! Grab a couple Salt packets from your favorite fast food joint and carry them. If you start to feel dizzy, sick to your stomach, open one and pour it into the palm of your hand. Lick it ONCE! If it tastes Salty, spit it out. That is not the problem. If you can't taste the salt you needed a little, the next lick will be Salty, spit it out and stop. It your first thought is, "I must have gotten the Sugar", Keep licking! You were about to go into Heat Stroke. I learned this growing up in Arizona from my dad. Tried it every time I came home from hunting Jack Rabbits and Doves for a year and it was always salty for a year. Then I came home grabbed the Salt Shaker and lick my palm and the first thought was,"Woff, Momma put sugar in the Salt Shaker!" True story, during the summer have a couple of the salt packets in the car and then carry one in the field. The News always talk about Drinking water, but won't talk about Salt, because that can raise your Blood Pressure. Idiots! If it tastes salty, spit it out. Be Safe and have fun.

Jul 2019
    Thank for sharing.Figure this Article ought to be Pinned to the Top here given it's an incredibly genuine risk to Us Treasure Hunters here.

Sep 2019
    Very important information, thanks a lot.

Oct 2019
    3 times
    If you find a tick biting you, try to twist it off anti-clockwise, rather than just pulling it out (which risks leaving the mandibles, which carry the infection, in you). They like to gorge themselves full of your blood (carrying a sac which can be up to a cm long when full), so if they are attached to you, they're quite easy to spot (and kill).
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    7656 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Here’s help recognizing these little varmits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6BD4B5E-C397-458E-B520-F2D985EB6EDA.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	1761990

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8F5F4CB-B54E-45E1-BC92-2F21E7D550DB.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	1761991

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein