Hi Follks;; A SERIOUS MATTER HERE -- Lyme's Disease & Others --

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a friend catch L D. He was always out hunting and fishing. He became wheelchair-bound. No use of arms and legs. Slowly got the use of his arms back. Two months later, he died. There are more common things that will put you down in our diggings. Drywashers must watch out for Valley Fever. Arizona hospitals have a pretty good handle on it as many contract it there in the desert washes. Otherwise, relatively unknown. TTC

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Permethrin treated clothing is the only proven way to protect yourself from ticks.It kills them on contact,DEET will not.I buy mine at Amazon or Walmart and a treatment will last for a month and a number of washings.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bit 2 days ago. Sucker was on there for 12hrs or so. Not sure how i missed it. Didnt detach in one piece either :/

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permethrin treated clothing is the only proven way to protect yourself from ticks.It kills them on contact,DEET will not.I buy mine at Amazon or Walmart and a treatment will last for a month and a number of washings.

Check out Picaridin (20 percent concentration). Does not melt plastic, non greasy and has been EPA approved for use since 2005 Studies have shown picaridin to be as effective as DEET in repelling mosquitoes. Unlike DEET, however, picaridin is odorless, non-greasy, and does not dissolve plastics or other synthetics. Last I heard DEET is still better on repelling ticks. Picaridin better for no see ems and mosquitos. One company using it is Sawyers.

We had to wear Fire Resistant clothing working for an electric utility and had a spray that was used to spray the clothing before wearing and then it lasted about 3 or 4 washes and had to be re applied. It had Permethrin. Took a whole can to do a few shirts and pants. Permethrin was used because DEET destroys the flammability arc flash rating of the garrmet.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this Barker ! I may be going to New Hampshire in late Sept. Will tics likely be an issue at that time of year? . I will be in the Alton area (Alton Bay )

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You want to treat your clothing with Permethrin. You can buy it cheaply at Walmart. But, you should also use Picariden on your exposed skin. I just removed two dug in ticks, because I had treated my clothes, but the ticks bit me on the elbow, just below the end of my short sleeves.
Another important thing about tick removal....if you grab them, and apply pressure to their abdomen, it will force the bacteria into your bloodstream, infecting you. If atick has been on you for more than 12 hours, go to the doctor, symptoms or no symptoms.
Always use tweezers, or the special tools made to remove them, which grab them by the head. I had RMSF 3 years ago, but knew I had been bitten, and was watching for the symptoms. When they showed up after 4 days, I got my butt to the doctor. I was treated, and no problem, but it took me almost a month to get back to 100%. Tick borne diseases are serious stuff, don't take them lightly.
For you western guys...mountain mahogany has more ticks, by far, than any other plant. If you wander around in them, in the spring, you're going to have ticks. Be warned.
In Wyoming, I found a heavy infestation in the Green River Basin. That's when I contracted RMSF. The ticks were on the ground, in the sagebrush, just about any plant life at all had them.
Jim

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Scary Stuff. The Mods have made this a Sticky Thread at the Top here ok. Thanks to TNMountains for his help in getting this put up. Stay safe guys. There aint enough coins etc to make getting these diseases for sure. Protect yourselves at all costs ok. PEACE:RONB

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have pets check out Permethrin (Pyethrin) carefully. It's lethal to cats. Which may not be a problem for some but would be unsettling to others.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have pets check out Permethrin (Pyethrin) carefully. It's lethal to cats. Which may not be a problem for some but would be unsettling to others.
I once sprayed Heidi's coat with it, but it made it sticky, and a mess. Best thing for dogs is the 3 month pill you can get at the vets. No fleas, or ticks for 90 days....it's a systemic. I've never found a tick on Heidi, though she covers 10X the ground I do.
jim

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several friends who got bad bad reactions from Lyme, and for one it has never fully gone away even years later and many treatments, it is a nasty disease. BUT, the tick pretty much has to be in you for 48 hours before you can get infected. I have spent many, many days in the woods and have probably been bitten over a hundred times and have not contracted the disease. I always do a check, when I get out of the woods but sometimes one gets in my skin, but I always find them before 48 hours and just get a sore which I treat with local antibiotics and although I have had many bites, no infections or diseases. They do NOT gravitate toward the crotch area, I have had many bites on my arms and neck and back, less on my legs. Get your wife or girlfriend to do a thorough body search if you suspect any may be on you, and be sensitive to the feeling of something crawling on you.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Prevention through repellents is critical for avoidance and should be everyone's focus when preparing to go out.

Something to consider though is how to deal with removing ticks that still find a way on you in a way that minimizes injecting yourself with what's in them. I recently saw this nifty little tick removal tool and now waiting for a set I ordered off ebay. Seems it is acts like the claw of a hammer but it traps the tick so that you spin the tool as you gently pull and it kind of unscrews the ticks feeding tube so the chance of it breaking off or worse the tick juice being injected into you is minimized. Here is a pic of one.
tick.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that flew so far over your head I doubt any information would sink in.

To make it very clear; I was saying that a forum just for this already exist.

But take it as you wish.

OJ, If this discussion prevents just one more in our hobby from getting infected, it is well worth it. They can stick this kind of data in where ever it will be read and help someone from the getting the disease. That's where it belongs!!!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that flew so far over your head I doubt any information would sink in.

To make it very clear; I was saying that a forum just for this already exist.

But take it as you wish.

Two threads on a subject, That does seem to be over kill, so all should just search for the topic subject like "pinpointers" , "AT pro" or other prior to ever making his or her thoughts known. That would certainly make searching the one thread per topic forum a lot more simple and easy with that policy in effect. I personally like the broad thoughts an multi thread approach as long as it fits our hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions