Research, permissions, politics?? (Tell me if I'm nuts plez!)

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay this is not a political post I promise!

So I've been researching old houses in Tennessee and I've stumbled on an excellent property old home and big yard built in the 1920's. Now I really don't care what people think in their politics and I never really get in to that stuff anyway.. BUT

I did some digging and the home owner is a HUGE Hillary supporter and Obama volunteer.

Should I go up to the house with a "Green Peace" shirt or "I love Mountains" shirt?

In Tennessee wearing a Hillary shirt might get me mowed down by a guy in a 4x4 but maybe some liberal leaning shirt?? Idk am I nuts trying this just for one permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are a liberal you would withstand being questioned about ,and be expected to act in kind.
I' m me when detecting.
Also when seeking permissions.
Easier to not drop a false front that way.

Were your landowners to bring up politics , it is good they are involved. But ,detecting is off media/ rat race time for some folks.
No offence but I'm really needing some swing time. You're welcome to join me . You'll need to talk load though with my using headphones.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are a liberal you would withstand being questioned about ,and be expected to act in kind.
I' m me when detecting.
Also when seeking permissions.
Easier to not drop a false front that way.

Were your landowners to bring up politics , it is good they are involved. But ,detecting is off media/ rat race time for some folks.
No offence but I'm really needing some swing time. You're welcome to join me . You'll need to talk load though with my using headphones.
Good point. I usually wear a t shirt and jeans.

this place looks awesome and was hoping for an edge but I may be overthinking it! Lol

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get one of those dreadlock wigs under a knitted, Jamaican-style hat, buy a beat-up old Subaru with PRE-APPLIED Billary, Obama, Coexist, and/or anti-Bush stickers, and roll in the nearest trash heap before you go over there. No way they would refuse you.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get one of those dreadlock wigs under a knitted, Jamaican-style hat, buy a beat-up old Subaru with PRE-APPLIED Billary, Obama, Coexist, and/or anti-Bush stickers, and roll in the nearest trash heap before you go over there. No way they would refuse you.

A good idea! Hey I'd do just about.. well most anything to score a big permission. This neighborhood is upidity affluent old money if she says no I'll just keep trying.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tell them you want to donate all your finds too the local dead beats so they can buy cigarettes and video games. You'll be a shoe in.

HH, RN

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL a Trump Mask will Do :laughing7:

For the Record, I don't see politics here either just a Mention of Politicians in a light Hearted way,
in a treasure related Thread.

in all Seriousness, Just approach like you would anywhere else & avoid bringing up Politics.
I think Dems are mostly Human.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear a "*****cat" hat , and a shirt with the slogan " treehuggin dirtworshipper " that should get you in there !

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I've been researching old houses in Tennessee ...owner is a HUGE Hillary supporter and Obama volunteer...
metal_detector.gif
Well - you have two options. Piss off the owner and not get permission or get the best I LOVE DEMOCRAT shirt and ask permission - I know what I would do to get permission!

mag315

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay this is not a political post I promise!

So I've been researching old houses in Tennessee and I've stumbled on an excellent property old home and big yard built in the 1920's. Now I really don't care what people think in their politics and I never really get in to that stuff anyway.. BUT

I did some digging and the home owner is a HUGE Hillary supporter and Obama volunteer.

Should I go up to the house with a "Green Peace" shirt or "I love Mountains" shirt?

In Tennessee wearing a Hillary shirt might get me mowed down by a guy in a 4x4 but maybe some liberal leaning shirt?? Idk am I nuts trying this just for one permission?

The first sentence in your post claims it is not political but in fact, that's exactly what it is. This is a permission, why would these people's politics even be an issue unless you made it one? Just go ask them if you can metal detect in their yard and leave it at that.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The first sentence in your post claims it is not political but in fact, that's exactly what it is. This is a permission, why would these people's politics even be an issue unless you made it one? Just go ask them if you can metal detect in their yard and leave it at that.

I always make a pointed effort to get to know "my landowners" before seeking permission, it's a great "sales" tactic. If I find I have something in common with a land owner, I'll find a way to squeak it into the conversation before the question of detecting ever gets brought up. Sales 101. I will back that up by saying I've never faked a common interest with a land owner because I had trouble remember my lies when I was a kid....lol.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes seriously. What if the owner invites you to a rally
and says, in the meantime they will think it over ?
would you show up at a town Hall meeting & become an Arse , just to continue the charade
in hopes of getting on the property ?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
All people have one thing in common, regardless of race, gender or political affiliations and thats cookies. Bring a box of cookies when you go and introduce yourself.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one critter in the animal world that would fair well in this hobby is the chameleon.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crash and burn!! I went buy wearing even my work clothes no tie. I got " ummmm no" I said well okay thanks. :(

Bummer should have worn the Hillary shirt! :crying:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....mumbles something about those lil flashlight gifts.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Crash and burn!! I went buy wearing even my work clothes no tie. I got " ummmm no" I said well okay thanks. :(

Bummer should have worn the Hillary shirt! :crying:

When are you asking again? Nothing is good ,without a good demonstration. Maybe arouse some curiosity and relieve suspicion...

" Detectorist's in good standing in the metal detecting community follow rules of etiquette and respect for landowners properties.
Should you be concerned about damage to your yard like those funny folks on t.v. I would be happy to demonstrate how low an impact a recovery actually makes".

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
When talking to people I don't care about politics. I assume other people are the same, unless they ask, just keep your mouth shut about politics. There are plenty of other things to talk about besides politics, and if they find out you were playing a charade, they will probably never let you back (regardless of what political party you are with). Like someone said before, offering them cookies is probably more enticing than bringing up a subject that doesn't even need to be brought up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread