Thoughts on detecting vacant homes for sale?

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Driving around today I found a home for sale built in 1941. Flat lot trimmed yard. Bank owned. I know people in this industry and most homes are owned by big bank bundlers.. somewhere halfway around the country, most of the time owners are long kicked out. Only real visitors are realators when they show it. I'd like to detect it, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With permission....I hope.

It could be impossible to get permission I would think. Some are going to auction, repo etc. If I call the bank most of the time these subprimes are bundled garbage loans that went south. Only real idea would be contacting the agent.??

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with the local tax office and they can tell you who owns the home. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea! Thanks for the tips. I've got research to do.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF IT IS UN KEPT - GRASS GROWING... WEEDS - AND YOU CANT FIND OWNER
IF OVER GROWN - ASK REALTOR IF YOU MOW IT CAN YOU HIT IT - KNOWN GUYS TO DO THAT
MAYBE ASK POLICE IN THE AREA OR NEIGHBORS IF THEY THINK ANYONE WOULD MIND
KNOW GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THAT
IVE NEVER BEEN A DOOR KNOCKER - WISH I WAS - GOT LOTS OF 1700S-1800S HOUSES UP HERE
MANY FOR SALE AND PEOPLE STILL IN THEM - THINK MORE GUYS SHOULD ASK - "HEY.. EVER WONDER WHATS IN YOUR YARD BEFORE YOU MOVE" AND MAKE A DEAL (KNOW GUYS THAT GET OK AND PEOPLE WANT NOTHING - JUST WANT TO SEE FINDS) - ASK IF THEY EVER LOST ANYTHING AND YOU'LL TRY AND FIND BEFORE THEY MOVE
ONE PERMISSION ME AND FRIEND HAD - WE GAVE THE GUYS SON SOME WHEAT CENTS AND MUSKETBALLS - GUY SAID WE COULD COME BACK ANYTIME
THAT WAS IN LIKE 1981 - COUPLE OF YRS AGO - WE ARE HITTING THIS SPOT AGAIN - GUY DRIVES UP AND ASKS IF WE HAVE PERMISSION - WE SAY WE HAVE FOR YEARS - MY FRIEND ASK HIS NAME - ITS THE KID WE GAVE STUFF TO WHEN HE WAS LITTLE - HE COULD NOT BELIEVE IT - WE COULDNT EITHER
HE SAID HE HAS HAD TO KICK OUT MANY THAT DONT HAVE PERMISSION

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
In CA, during 2007 and 2008, home prices took a plunge. And a lot of people went "backwards" on their mortgages (owed more than the house was worth). And a lot of them simply walked away from their homes, or got kicked out for lack of making payments. And in some of the harder hit cities (where the spike up and then down had been hard), there were sometimes several houses on each block of some neighborhoods, that were vacant ! Bank owned by nameless faceless banks in some other state. And you could (I suppose) knock yourself silly trying to get permission. But if you even got someone to return your call, you can probably guess they'd have just said "no" (why should they be bothered ?)

I knew some guys who went yard to yard in such locations. And were getting silver that way. No one ever bothered them. I suppose they might have appeared to be inspectors . These guys even mowed a few yards prior to detecting them (to get the grass height do-able). Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ? :tongue3:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... I've made calls to realtors and received permission to hunt on the spot.

Really ? When I've tried that, the realtor says "I'll have to ask the owner" And then it just sort of fizzles there. One time however I happened to know the realtor personally. And they said "go ahead, but just keep a low profile and don't make waves ".

OP
OP
darktower007

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In CA, during 2007 and 2008, home prices took a plunge. And a lot of people went "backwards" on their mortgages (owed more than the house was worth). And a lot of them simply walked away from their homes, or got kicked out for lack of making payments. And in some of the harder hit cities (where the spike up and then down had been hard), there were sometimes several houses on each block of some neighborhoods, that were vacant ! Bank owned by nameless faceless banks in some other state. And you could (I suppose) knock yourself silly trying to get permission. But if you even got someone to return your call, you can probably guess they'd have just said "no" (why should they be bothered ?)

I knew some guys who went yard to yard in such locations. And were getting silver that way. No one ever bothered them. I suppose they might have appeared to be inspectors . These guys even mowed a few yards prior to detecting them (to get the grass height do-able). Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ? :tongue3:

I could wear a bright vest and a hard hat and maybe put some cones behind my truck in the yard. :laughing:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ? :tongue3:

It is still called trespassing and it is illegal no matter how it is spun.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CASPER, STOP YELLING AT ME! I would suggest going to the clerk of courts and get the PUBLIC info on the house after the repossession notice but before the owners are kicked out. Then contact the owner and get the permission. He really wouldn't care. "Sure, go ahead. Won't be mine next month". WOW! Just realized the potential returns for this kind of research! (this is actually a very lucrative business for investors before the auction. Against the law for banks to hold the property for possible profits). TTC

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with # 10, go for it. Once I asked a real estate agency to ask the owner if I could search for single coins and jewel by email. Never heard from him. The same old house is up for sale again. The problem is very tall grass, but I may go for it. Wish me luck.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I have thought about actually doing that just to keep from getting pestered hunting sidewalk to curb sights. I'll be looking through the thrift shops for a "get up".:headbang:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've talked to Real Estate agents about properties that I wsnted b to drtect. Most have said that they would get back to me.
Most didn't. Two that did both said that the owner says there is an insurance problem. I don't know why some land owners will allow deer hunting but not metal detecting.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... And they said "go ahead, but just keep a low profile and don't make waves ".
Hmm. Is there a message here, Tom? I think your friend is telling you he cannot give you permission... only the owner can. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread