Thoughts on detecting vacant homes for sale?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thoughts on detecting vacant homes for sale?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    When in doubt... dig!

Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
    856 times
    Metal Detecting

Thoughts on detecting vacant homes for sale?

Driving around today I found a home for sale built in 1941. Flat lot trimmed yard. Bank owned. I know people in this industry and most homes are owned by big bank bundlers.. somewhere halfway around the country, most of the time owners are long kicked out. Only real visitors are realators when they show it. I'd like to detect it, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honest Samuel likes this.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    4267 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    With permission....I hope.
    CASPER-2 and ChampFerguson/TN like this.

us
    When in doubt... dig!

Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    856 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by villagenut View Post
    With permission....I hope.
    It could be impossible to get permission I would think. Some are going to auction, repo etc. If I call the bank most of the time these subprimes are bundled garbage loans that went south. Only real idea would be contacting the agent.??

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3091 times
    Check with the local tax office and they can tell you who owns the home. Good hunting and good luck.
    TerryC likes this.

us
    When in doubt... dig!

Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    856 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    Check with the local tax office and they can tell you who owns the home. Good hunting and good luck.
    Good thought. I'll try that route as well.

Honest Samuel likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Well reasoned and delightfully brutal

Mar 2008
    WA
    Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
    1645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darktower007 View Post
    Only real idea would be contacting the agent.??
    Try this: Â*Hamilton County Geographic Information Systems

Click on GISMO-5. Zoom in until you can see the parcel in question. Click on it. If you can't find what you need here, the county courthouse can probably tell you.
    Avatar taken from "The Biting Pear of Salamanca." See the original here: http://ursulav.deviantart.com/art/Th...manca-29677500

us
    When in doubt... dig!

Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    856 times
    Metal Detecting
    Great idea! Thanks for the tips. I've got research to do.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    15212 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    IF IT IS UN KEPT - GRASS GROWING... WEEDS - AND YOU CANT FIND OWNER
    IF OVER GROWN - ASK REALTOR IF YOU MOW IT CAN YOU HIT IT - KNOWN GUYS TO DO THAT
    MAYBE ASK POLICE IN THE AREA OR NEIGHBORS IF THEY THINK ANYONE WOULD MIND
    KNOW GUYS THAT HAVE DONE THAT
    IVE NEVER BEEN A DOOR KNOCKER - WISH I WAS - GOT LOTS OF 1700S-1800S HOUSES UP HERE
    MANY FOR SALE AND PEOPLE STILL IN THEM - THINK MORE GUYS SHOULD ASK - "HEY.. EVER WONDER WHATS IN YOUR YARD BEFORE YOU MOVE" AND MAKE A DEAL (KNOW GUYS THAT GET OK AND PEOPLE WANT NOTHING - JUST WANT TO SEE FINDS) - ASK IF THEY EVER LOST ANYTHING AND YOU'LL TRY AND FIND BEFORE THEY MOVE
    ONE PERMISSION ME AND FRIEND HAD - WE GAVE THE GUYS SON SOME WHEAT CENTS AND MUSKETBALLS - GUY SAID WE COULD COME BACK ANYTIME
    THAT WAS IN LIKE 1981 - COUPLE OF YRS AGO - WE ARE HITTING THIS SPOT AGAIN - GUY DRIVES UP AND ASKS IF WE HAVE PERMISSION - WE SAY WE HAVE FOR YEARS - MY FRIEND ASK HIS NAME - ITS THE KID WE GAVE STUFF TO WHEN HE WAS LITTLE - HE COULD NOT BELIEVE IT - WE COULDNT EITHER
    HE SAID HE HAS HAD TO KICK OUT MANY THAT DONT HAVE PERMISSION
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2719 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Like Casper said. I've made calls to realtors and received permission to hunt on the spot.
    “They’ll go over like a Led balloon.”

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10062 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    In CA, during 2007 and 2008, home prices took a plunge. And a lot of people went "backwards" on their mortgages (owed more than the house was worth). And a lot of them simply walked away from their homes, or got kicked out for lack of making payments. And in some of the harder hit cities (where the spike up and then down had been hard), there were sometimes several houses on each block of some neighborhoods, that were vacant ! Bank owned by nameless faceless banks in some other state. And you could (I suppose) knock yourself silly trying to get permission. But if you even got someone to return your call, you can probably guess they'd have just said "no" (why should they be bothered ?)

I knew some guys who went yard to yard in such locations. And were getting silver that way. No one ever bothered them. I suppose they might have appeared to be inspectors . These guys even mowed a few yards prior to detecting them (to get the grass height do-able). Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ?
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; May 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
    TerryC likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10062 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    ... I've made calls to realtors and received permission to hunt on the spot.
    Really ? When I've tried that, the realtor says "I'll have to ask the owner" And then it just sort of fizzles there. One time however I happened to know the realtor personally. And they said "go ahead, but just keep a low profile and don't make waves ".

us
    When in doubt... dig!

Feb 2017
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    856 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    In CA, during 2007 and 2008, home prices took a plunge. And a lot of people went "backwards" on their mortgages (owed more than the house was worth). And a lot of them simply walked away from their homes, or got kicked out for lack of making payments. And in some of the harder hit cities (where the spike up and then down had been hard), there were sometimes several houses on each block of some neighborhoods, that were vacant ! Bank owned by nameless faceless banks in some other state. And you could (I suppose) knock yourself silly trying to get permission. But if you even got someone to return your call, you can probably guess they'd have just said "no" (why should they be bothered ?)

I knew some guys who went yard to yard in such locations. And were getting silver that way. No one ever bothered them. I suppose they might have appeared to be inspectors . These guys even mowed a few yards prior to detecting them (to get the grass height do-able). Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ?
    I could wear a bright vest and a hard hat and maybe put some cones behind my truck in the yard. :laughing:

Kurios1 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30006 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

Not saying this was "right" of them to help themselves, but I guess they figured that if a tree falls in the woods and no one heard it, did it make a sound ?
    It is still called trespassing and it is illegal no matter how it is spun.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk
    TerryC and Clay Diggins like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    7629 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    CASPER, STOP YELLING AT ME! I would suggest going to the clerk of courts and get the PUBLIC info on the house after the repossession notice but before the owners are kicked out. Then contact the owner and get the permission. He really wouldn't care. "Sure, go ahead. Won't be mine next month". WOW! Just realized the potential returns for this kind of research! (this is actually a very lucrative business for investors before the auction. Against the law for banks to hold the property for possible profits). TTC
    Last edited by TerryC; May 13, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
    WARNING: TerryC has so much TOXIC MASCULINITY that he is known to cause cancer in California.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    3091 times
    I agree with # 10, go for it. Once I asked a real estate agency to ask the owner if I could search for single coins and jewel by email. Never heard from him. The same old house is up for sale again. The problem is very tall grass, but I may go for it. Wish me luck.
    TerryC likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links