rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi question on MDs if you know or have been there
I've been MD'ing an area close to a rev war battle and my MD goes off saying something's way deep so I dig- keeps saying 9 more inches I keep digging until I finally give up although it keeps going off in this one area on high sensitivity
Has anyone du endlessly (see pic) with similar empty signals to same area? I'll be in China soon.
Debating on giving up though I may be very close as signal got stronger deeper I get.
Yes- I'm persistent. 😂 Dang oxen shoe same area started this...
IMG_8537.JPG

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!! Just two more inches!

You better make sure no one taped a penny to your coil, or maybe a bus was buried there.

HH, RN

OP
OP
rosespetal

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lmao

haha no but that is a great idea to prank on a friend that I will surely do!

I know some of the area dirt was moved to build a house- so that may be why I'm endlessly digging although I'm amazed it keeps telling me to dig more- always same area- around a stump that's only about 12" wide or so, I can excavate the stump soon at this pace.

As I'm fairly new to this type of MD (upgraded from a 'usual' lower end popular store MD) the sensitivity setting surely makes for new places to dig esp DEEP sadly lol my back cannot take much more- I need a backhoe.

LOL!! Just two more inches!

You better make sure no one taped a penny to your coil, or maybe a bus was buried there.

HH, RN

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with the Whites Detecter but the target can't be that deep, unless it's huge. Try backing off the sensitivity and make sure the target is not in the side of your hole.

HH, RN

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you have wasted your time , you could have been on your way and found something but you chose to investigate this signal....don't stop now....treasure hunter...just might be a cashe .....or not..just keep diggin ....and diggin....have fun

OP
OP
rosespetal

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah time outside on a beautiful day is never wasted ;)
It is followed by an empty signal of which are usually fairly deep. I did go through the sides too- and now at this deep it finally even w sensitivity now down to a 5/6 instead of the 8/9/max produces a high tone so its closer then I think. The oxen shoe was a good 12" deep that Igot here along the same path down the mountain only 200' max away- thus why I keep digging- time and erosion place a huge part in my choice to 'just keep digging !" although I almost gave up on the oxen shoe too so deep til the pointer told me I was ever so close. Dang mountains, dang erosion- DANG OXEN SHOE! I will not give up ;) although I am wondering what in the heck it can be.

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT--- AND MY BACK.
Oxen shoe 12"+ deep mid mountain.
18447608_1678806325467216_2720957040601783932_n.jpg

you have wasted your time , you could have been on your way and found something but you chose to investigate this signal....don't stop now....treasure hunter...just might be a cashe .....or not..just keep diggin ....and diggin....have fun

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Me thinks you're doing something wrong, or chasing some signal that has a more plausible explanation. Here's an example (but DON'T get "lost in the example"):

A buddy and were hunting around some abandoned WWII era barracks. He got a signal at the corner of one of the old wooden buildings and started digging. 10+ minutes later, I noticed he was STILL working on the same hole. Which, by now, was very deep and big. Yet every time he'd re-scan, the target was still there, seemingly deeper.

In disgust he gave up and called me over to scan the hole. In 5 seconds I could spot his mistake: The corner of this wooden building had metal "flashing" . Hidden metal border rib, inside the exterior covering of wood. And the tip of his coil was getting a beep off of this, which he just mis-took for being under the coil (since he couldn't swing any closer to the edge of the building w/o brushing the corner). And since this flashing and corner of the building apparently was sunk into the ground as well, he just kept getting this signal deeper and deeper. And each time, seemed to be under the dead center of his coil.

Because he didn't know that the front tip of the coil was also sensitive (albeit to only 1"). Or didn't put 2+2 together and wonder if there's not something under the wood exterior of the building he was swinging close to.

I've got scores of other such humorous stories . Your best bet is to hook up with someone proficient (long time user who routinely bags old coins) and get them to trade off flagged signals with you at a spot prolific with targets (even if only junk or modern stuff). Listen to what they're listening to. See what they'd pass versus chase. Ask them "why or why not?", etc....

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I've ever seen that could be detected at that kind of distance is a large cast iron pipe. Look around and make sure you aren't between two manhole covers.

Last edited:

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
toiling under heavy loat the animal lost a shoe , cant go any further.....dig hole and hide chest full of ???.... a couple hunded years go by and you get this signal and dig......and dig......you know you cant quit now......treasure hunter

OP
OP
rosespetal

rosespetal

Dec 11, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Whites pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much- for the help and lack of sarcastic response :)
There's a revolutionary battle and basic massacre 30 mins away- along with insane large divits of dirt one can hide in atop the mountain flats- like trenches. Add the oxen shoe and paths of troops returning on the way back down from Saratoga NY battles (about 1.5hrs away) which you see creates my curiosity. Timeline of the date of the shoe- depth- and NOT the area for 'farms' let alone oxen due to the mountain itself and terrain. Doesn't fit.

I have learned alot in my short time but this drives me batty- as its a fairly 'new' build from blasting into a mountain- no more than 20yrs. of age though the area itself- and the 'leveling' of the yard not near the septic nor well is what created this lol Because of the erosion patterns down the mountain where things were found in line with the area pattern. I never continued my dig in the past- I gave up w certain similar times though nothing is within a 50' radius- at all- but a tree stump and a HUGE rock that we pulled lol- I finally wanted to learn what the heck causes the 'absent buzz' and then beep as you get closer- even in the walls- nada- with the pointer- nada- no salt water to attribute to it- and even finally hitting the 'high pitch' as if it's RIGHT THERE- but still NADA. I let it grasp the ground to ignore minerals and such which can be picked up to get rid of them- and now I still will NEVER know what it was GRR!

Though the neighbor did rent a backhoe .... if he still has it when I get back to that area- I'm having him dig to kingdom come because I just really want to know haha
No treasure- no cache- prob some 1700s budweiser imitation can ;) jk I just HATE not knowing- and w the ground leveled there and dirt just moved to level for building- somethings gotta give.

Appreciate the NON sarcastic suggestions :) if I backhoe one day to kill that curious cat I'll post what it is LOL!

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re-bar in the concrete lid of an old septic tank?

Old pie tin?

Have both of these on my "finds" list.

The day I found a bunch of nichrome wire filaments threaded into the roots and grass was a learning experience. Loud signals but darned if I could find anything in the sod plug or soil. Then I found a couple old crushed threaded sockets and "the lightbulb went off", so to speak. Finally I started pulling out bits of almost invisible wire. It must have been where a carnival tossed a bunch of old burnt-out or broken bulbs. Not much glass, oddly.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had trouble like that. My problem is hot rocks. Some are magnetic. Found a deep one at 4'. My white dfx kept going off. So I kelp digging. Now I have a Hugh rock.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be wise and don't dig into any utility lines that may be present. I know hitting utility lines without a permit or prior line locations can be costly. On the other hand I really hope you find a whopper of a meteorite. Good luck!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A buddy of mine dug a big giant hole one time, but his cz6 kept saying "deeper deeper". FINALLY he figured it out: It was a giant barrel hoop only an inch deep. And he was digging right through the center of. Doh Because the cz6 has concise singular "beeps" (rather than elongated audio , or tooty-fluty audio like some other machines have). And the singular "beep" was coming from the exact dead center of the giant hoolahoop sized loop. Eventually he gave up digging deeper (which, by now, was over a foot deep). And instead started caving in the sides exploring sideways. And then realized the target was barely beneath the grass. And he'd been digging the center the whole time.

Thus you might try going left and right, to see if your issue is pinpointing. "X" marks the spot, to make sure you're not on the fringe of a much larger signal .

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I put my pin pointer in the hole it would go off. I I find that happens a lot with it. What's up with that? Just goes wild at times

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah time outside on a beautiful day is never wasted ;)
It is followed by an empty signal of which are usually fairly deep. I did go through the sides too- and now at this deep it finally even w sensitivity now down to a 5/6 instead of the 8/9/max produces a high tone so its closer then I think. The oxen shoe was a good 12" deep that Igot here along the same path down the mountain only 200' max away- thus why I keep digging- time and erosion place a huge part in my choice to 'just keep digging !" although I almost gave up on the oxen shoe too so deep til the pointer told me I was ever so close. Dang mountains, dang erosion- DANG OXEN SHOE! I will not give up ;) although I am wondering what in the heck it can be.

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT--- AND MY BACK.
Oxen shoe 12"+ deep mid mountain.
View attachment 1451456

Rose, a little off the subject.... Oxen have TWO toes. They are never shoed. Mules have ONE (I don't know if they are called toes) just like horses. I have dug three mule shoes and that shoe looks very much like a mule shoe. They are less round... more "longish". Check out mule shoes on the net for further study. Being as deep as it was, I will also say you may be digging land fill. Not sure on the last, though, because I haven't seen the area. Just passing on a few tips. TTC

Edit: Go through my posts (metal detecting, today's finds?). You will see my most recent of one of the shoes. TTC

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here Rose.... just for you. One was never used. The small horseshoe is for comparison. TTC

Mules.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread