Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been digging a campsite recently and I want to display everything together, some things I really want to protect like flintlock parts and my fully intact and now functional round ball scissor mold, others like square nails and mystery items still have a little rust and I don't want to waste my time picking rust scabs from square nails, so to the question can the rust spread from the nails to the things Ive fully cleaned?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rust is not contagious. It does not spreads from iron to iron. You need moisture for rust to form. Keep your display dry.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a little cleaning and preserving of the iron is in order. Rusty pieces in a display won't look as nice as preserved ones nor will they last longer. Rust never sleeps.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do not want to put a lot of effort in to it soak it in apple cider vinegar over night then wash off and just wax it. Try an item first see how you like it. I did a canister of iron grape shot and was very happy

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had them in acv for about two weeks most of the rust is gone but I didn't want to spend the time picking scabs of square nails and crevasses of some of the scrap metal, but I do want to keep everything from that site together since it is 70 years older than anything else on I've found on the land and I don't want to mix it in with my boxes and buckets and drawers of other items... the gun parts and such are well cleaned and preserved, I find a good soak in gun oil does a great job and some like the pieces of cast iron cooking items I painted with a black rust inhibiting primer too Finished Mold.jpg Bullet Mold.JPG a before an after with my bullet mold... I was really happy with how it came out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread