Paid $ Seeded Relic hunts ? 'Can they be a Sham'?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see where newbs would enjoy a seeded hunt...I wouldnt waste my time on them unless I was with someone that was a newb. the whole thrill of the hunt is being able to find or unearth something that only YOU have seen in years....at least thats my opinion

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have done seeded hunts in the past, but mainly for competition. They were great fun!
It's also amusing when you make a find during these hunts that wasn't one of the "seeds."
Just another form of entertainment in my book, and I always had fun, especially when my kids participated.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true ... If I were new or with someone new 'Cool'.

As creskol stated if my Son would hunt that would be ULTRA cool.

He is 9 and wants 'instant Gratification' but still hope he takes to the hobby in the future, I won't force him tho.

There are lot's I left out , Don't wanna hurt any feelings .

I was just doing 'math' in my head & Stats from other hunters & something don't add up.

I may be wrong tho , as I believe most Seeded hunts are Great.

Thing are sometimes 'not as advertised or or written in a way that is true but deceiving.'

Just ranting.
Thanks for the reply's.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "prizes are misrepresented"? Seeded hunts are what they are. There are no secrets involved, not supposed to be anyway.

Yes , but the statements of prizes are true but written in a way where a possible hunter, thinks there is more to be found than there really is.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not interested in a seeded hunt just like I would not pay to fish in a stocked pond nor do a canned deer hunt. Where's the fun in that? I have paid to hunt on an Old site from the 1700's, but also had a chance to meet many of my friends from Tnet and other MD celebrities (non from TV) who also hunted there that weekend. It was a fund raising hunt for a historical society. Nothing seeded at that site, but they did have many vendors present and gave away many detectors and other hobby related gear and items.

I could see that a seeded hunt might be something to do as a father and son/s adventure though, knowing how short some kids attention spans are. This would be a great chance for them to hone there skills and to enjoy in their Dad's hobby and create memories that will last a life time.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see it for kids, but the 2 that I attended as an observer showed me that it isnt something I would enjoy. But to each his own.
As to misrepresentation, if you ever see it, post it everywhere with evidence of what was advertised vs what actually happened and let the Internet have its way.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not interested in a seeded hunt just like I would not pay to fish in a stocked pond nor do a canned deer hunt. Where's the fun in that? I have paid to hunt on an Old site from the 1700's, but also had a chance to meet many of my friends from Tnet and other MD celebrities (non from TV) who also hunted there that weekend. It was a fund raising hunt for a historical society. Nothing seeded at that site, but they did have many vendors present and gave away many detectors and other hobby related gear and items.

I could see that a seeded hunt might be something to do as a father and son/s adventure though, knowing how short some kids attention spans are. This would be a great chance for them to hone there skills and to enjoy in their Dad's hobby and create memories that will last a life time.

The Question was posted "any Native relics possible" Answer 'yes there was movements in the area , things (Relics) have popped up in the past. So a true statement , yes , but I heard of none being found in many hours. Much SGB but that's to be expected.

Yes I would pay to hunt a site as you describe it.
GL LD

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see it for kids, but the 2 that I attended as an observer showed me that it isnt something I would enjoy. But to each his own.
As to misrepresentation, if you ever see it, post it everywhere with evidence of what was advertised vs what actually happened and let the Internet have its way.

Very well stated.
I'm gonna wait to talk to others & get ( for Sure ) positive Evidence things may have been 'Slick Talked' ..
Yes To each his own & We live & we learn.
Good Day

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

I don't even know if they do seeded competition hunts anymore or not, but the ones I participated in were and absolute hoot! The hunts were usually timed, and you weren't hunting to keep the targets you found, but rather for points or quantity. I won some mighty nice prizes in these events, and had a blast in doing so. If I were years younger and in good physical condition, I wouldn't think twice about participating in one if the opportunity arose.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I attend 2 seeded hunts each year that are fund raisers for 2 different clubs. Participants get to keep all the coins they find and some coins are painted as prize tokens. Considering that I have won 3 gold coins, multiple silver rounds, multiple detecting tools and 4 detectors over the years along with rubbing elbows with many treasure hunters I feel the hunts have definitely been worth my time and expense. I haven't seen anything that would make me question the honesty or promotion of these two hunts.
luvsdux

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even know if they do seeded competition hunts anymore or not, but the ones I participated in were and absolute hoot! The hunts were usually timed, and you weren't hunting to keep the targets you found, but rather for points or quantity. I won some mighty nice prizes in these events, and had a blast in doing so. If I were years younger and in good physical condition, I wouldn't think twice about participating in one if the opportunity arose.

That's kinda the way the Local Club does it , "# marked Cent's" 2-3 hour hunt 4-500 prizes .
A good time , Got some of my best relics that way .

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attend 2 seeded hunts each year that are fund raisers for 2 different clubs. Participants get to keep all the coins they find and some coins are painted as prize tokens. Considering that I have won 3 gold coins, multiple silver rounds, multiple detecting tools and 4 detectors over the years along with rubbing elbows with many treasure hunters I feel the hunts have definitely been worth my time and expense. I haven't seen anything that would make me question the honesty or promotion of these two hunts.
luvsdux

They sound like Great hunts.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been to a coins and tokens hunt over 30 years ago. Fun, but, not worth the money that I had spend.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I been to a coins and tokens hunt over 30 years ago. Fun, but, not worth the money that I had spend.

I know people who have gone on paid hunts for Civil War relics and spent a small fortune on specialized equipment, transportation costs, food, lodging, etc. just to find a bullet or two. But, they seem to have a great time chasing their dream find, and do it time and time again. All entertainment has a price, and some entertainment is more expensive than others. If a detectorist's success was determined by the value of their finds as compared to the amount spent of finding them, almost all of us would be failures.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people who have gone on paid hunts for Civil War relics and spent a small fortune on specialized equipment, transportation costs, food, lodging, etc. just to find a bullet or two. But, they seem to have a great time chasing their dream find, and do it time and time again. All entertainment has a price, and some entertainment is more expensive than others. If a detectorist's success was determined by the value of their finds as compared to the amount spent of finding them, almost all of us would be failures.

Yea a DIV or that type of hunt would be fun to try just for the location change and the Experience.

Guess I expect to much & whats advertised to be at-least 98% True.

Toe Twell:dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck I gladly drive 1000 miles round trip to hunt with my friends on the East coast. It's not all about the finds, but the camaraderie. I do have a better chance of finding colonial relics and coinage in the original 13 colonies, more so than here in Ohio. I have met some wonderful people through Tnet and plan on meeting and hunting with more in the future.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a seeded hunt in the mid 80's in SE Michigan. Pretty aggressive crowd - I'd expected to make some hunting buddies there, but it wasn't what I expected - and it was very crowded.

Seemed like a good way to make friends though....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually will go to about 3 a year which are held at beaches by clubs. ALL the coins and tokens put down are "seeded". I have found native jewelry and coins at the hunt site. I do not consider these organized competitions as seeded at all. You pay an entry fee, show up, then dash off like mad in a friendly competition to get as much stuff as quick as possible. I haven't experienced anything that could be called deception.

These things are fun, but they are what they are. Entertainment and competition you pay for. I always get stuff, most of which I don't need anyway, get to meet people and have a fun time.

It's not how fast you detect, it's how well you detect fast, to coin a commercial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread