s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the beach as often as possible and I've found lots of coins that are corroded by the salt, minerals etc. I've used different methods to try to clean them so that I can at least see the date but I have one coin that I've been trying to clean and it just won't. I thought it was a nickel when I found it but I checked it with my AT pro and it rings in at silver. Any ideas on how to remove the corrosion without damaging what ever it is?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is that corroded there is likely little left under the crust to damage but if you haven't tried lemon juice, you can give it a soak in it overnight. I picked up what I thought was a modern zincoln with a very heavy brown crust but after the lemon juice soak I found a very worn seated dime.

I have also seen some hunters breaking off thick crusts by lightly tapping it with a hammer or hard object.

Last edited:
OP
OP
s.c.shooter

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Susan

Berton

May 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please, do not clean the coin by yourself (if you want to sell the coin in the future). You can search for the local expert who will help you to do this and not to damage the coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread