verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start with historicaerials.net. see if you have a local historical society. Search Google for historic maps of your area. Your local courthouse may have information as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best way to research your local area is not through the internet but with your eyes, ears and feet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your local library should have info of interest, but much of it may not be eligible to be signed out, you may have to read it there and if you need some of it, maybe you can make a copy.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk with the old folks in town. They tend to be more accurate and reliable than the internet at least in my experience. You can also try to find historical maps of your town these can be located on the internet sometimes.

HH, RN

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If already broached pls disregard.
For just sittin on your butt, no legwork I find your states' historical almanac, Tx refers to it as a 'historical handbook' is hard to beat. It'll keep you from goin off 1/2 cocked. Knowin how many times your physical residence has been in a diff county is sorta crucial when lookin 4 stuff whether at the courthouse or www. My place changed counties 3 times as it evolved,still looks the same as it did in 1850. My farm was once part of a community of immigrants known as Brushy Knob, highest ele. in the county. So, it was favored by natives for a lookout, due to elevation a river cobble is an artifact layin on the ground or in a leather pouch carved like a buffalo. All kinds of info as to schools, fraternal orders,cotton gins,skirmishes civil or un. can generally be found all condensed from myriad official state records. Check out .gov

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two things.... Look through the large book stores by entering as much info for your area to see if local history books might be available. Second: Seek and find the local historians for your town/county. Judith Marvin, about mid eighties, lives down the road. She authored some Image of America series books. She lives in an old house from the 1850s. Her area is part of the ghost town of Brownsville, the eastern end of Murphys. She is out and about a lot but Judy knows her so I have telephone rights! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the local history room of library, county offices, etc. and look for old maps of the town. Compare them to Google Earth aerials of the same scale and "blink" back and forth to see old stuff or open spots. TTC

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's where historicaerials is good. There is a slide feature that allows you to compare old images to new ones.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winters are long here so I use the non detecting months to surf the net and do local research. Once you find maps you can overlay them to find where schools, parks and playgrounds were, but aren't any more. I also google existing parks looking for pictures of what they used to look like. Play areas and park buildings have frequently changed locations, and even swimming beaches may have been moved. I also use google earth to look down at parks. Sometimes you can see the outlines of old ball fields and play areas that way.

In addition if you live in the same city where your parents or grandparents grew up you can ask them, or older neighbors when they went swimming, sledding or playing when they were young.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Contact your county's historian......

Better yet: BECOME a "historian" in your local "county".

Why does all us md'rs leech off of historians, relying on museum's and historian's hard work, while never lifting a finger ourselves ?? FOR PETE'S SAKE let's get off our duff's and volunteer some time .... JUST LIKE THOSE "county historians" did decades ago when THEY TOO just started.

Join historical societies. Docent/volunteer your time @ museums. Might require (gasp) 6 hr. p/month manning a desk or archiving papers, etc.... Then you have carte-blanche to back-room archives. THEN you have "respect" and "kinship" with those other long-timers. Who will see you as not simply leech. And the credentials it provides go a long way into getting "in's" into sites.

Everybody always goes to museums, reads books, ask historian's questions, etc.. Yet never asking "how does these tools and platforms get into place" ? Who frickin' wrote the book I'm capitalizing on?

Sometimes a little embarrassed at the one-sided-ness of md'rs. Of all people to write history and contribute to the research IT SHOULD BE US !

And think of it: Those "county historians", how the h*ck do you think they got THEIR information ?? They simply studies previously existing work, studied, interviewed long-timers and put that into print for museum archives, etc...

C'mon md'rs, get off your @sses !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
qdp diggers. When I joined, I lurked and read the current posts, but my appetite for knowledge drove me into searching threads for key phrases. This subject is covered almost monthly. This site has been here for millennia :tongue3:

see the pic below it shows where to enter your search word or phrase.

tnetSearch.JPG

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better yet: BECOME a "historian" in your local "county".

Why does all us md'rs leech off of historians, relying on museum's and historian's hard work, while never lifting a finger ourselves ?? FOR PETE'S SAKE let's get off our duff's and volunteer some time .... JUST LIKE THOSE "county historians" did decades ago when THEY TOO just started.

Join historical societies. Docent/volunteer your time @ museums. Might require (gasp) 6 hr. p/month manning a desk or archiving papers, etc.... Then you have carte-blanche to back-room archives. THEN you have "respect" and "kinship" with those other long-timers. Who will see you as not simply leech. And the credentials it provides go a long way into getting "in's" into sites.

Everybody always goes to museums, reads books, ask historian's questions, etc.. Yet never asking "how does these tools and platforms get into place" ? Who frickin' wrote the book I'm capitalizing on?

Sometimes a little embarrassed at the one-sided-ness of md'rs. Of all people to write history and contribute to the research IT SHOULD BE US !

And think of it: Those "county historians", how the h*ck do you think they got THEIR information ?? They simply studies previously existing work, studied, interviewed long-timers and put that into print for museum archives, etc...

C'mon md'rs, get off your @sses !
Very good info, Tom. ╦╦Ç

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... sledding ....
Now THERE's an untapped spot in CA. People here need to follow the coastal people up to the winter snows to detect in the warmer months. ╦╦Ç

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detect all public land that's in my area. Simple premise, but it works...

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually give my legs a rest after dark. My state DOT has aerial photo's of the whole state starting from the 30's. Helps in some park because some area's were used more then and now are overgrown or laid out different. Found a area that's just a wide spot along a bluff now but was a trolley/bus stop. Edit It was a DNR site not DOT, sorry.

Last edited:

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look for Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps if you can find them. They were compiled to show the layout of structures and some information on their construction for fire insurance purposes. In Texas (where I am) the state university has a very complete set for Texas available online (seemingly, every county seat in the state at least). In California (where I used to be), my local public library had them in the local history room. The oldest ones I've seen (and I used to use them for work) were from the 1880s, and the latest I ever saw were from the early 1980s. They usually cover the central parts of town (for towns of a certain size) and show residential as well as industrial and commercial structures. The original ones were hand-colored (yellow for frame construction, blue for stone, red for brick etc.). Number of stories, outbuildings and so on are also shown. I hunt houses with a book of Sanborns in the car...the latest available for my home town is 1921, so if it's on the map, and configured about the same as the map shows, it's a target. Where they're available Sanborn maps are among the best resources you can find.
Attached is an example from another town, also a 1921 map. D = Dwelling on these maps. Useful no?

Attachments

• Sanborn example 1.jpg
    Sanborn example 1.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 64

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detect all public land that's in my area. Simple premise, but it works...

Same here. As an American tax indentured slave I figure it's the best way at recouping all the money they suck out of my hard earned wages.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread