Metal Detecting Reality

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
So i have not seen anything related posted on here so I am going to post it.... Metal Detecting Reality or How I learned to Ignore People who believe I am Treasure Gathering versus Treasure Hunting.

I am relatively new to metal detecting as i started in 2014. I went through my 1st machine the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV fast and upgraded to a Garrett 350 and returned it within a week and bought the AT Pro.

I am considering buying the Nokta Impact and/or the AT Max. ( yes both) I am by no means an expert when it comes to Metal Detectors--- things that flash and make noises like "Congrats You Found Gold" sell me immediately. No i am not rich but as I am a military training advisor.

Now i do not post a lot on the forums and there is a great reason why... I am an introvert who would rather spend time metal detecting. I have run into people who believe people with metal detectors are getting rich. Serious- I make certain that these people know that 99.9% of everything that is found is trash and goes to recycling ....as seen in pics below.

Yes in the last few weeks i have been lucky... very lucky... i found my first gold coin and 7 silver coins in the same spot... however i hauled out of that same area in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 pounds of junk iron, glass, cans nails and signs ...
Metal Detecting is only as fun as you make it.... i have been lucky these last few weeks because I got away from public places and went to deserted places like the old farm that is covered in woods....

I encourage everyone to educate the non- metal detecting people of the world--- your reality is not what they see.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495995065.667761.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495995077.964408.jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand! I am also an introvert....incredibly so....and that is part of the reason why we dont find as many "valubles" as other detectorists. I personally dont like detecting between people on a beach, but the reality is that valubles /recent drops are where the people are.....and thats where the introverts arent. I used to have a love hate relationship with detecting. Some days coming home with nothing and feeling like I had wasted my day. Other times I have come home with 7 military buttons and thought woo hoo! and then I added my time and gas and realised even working minimum wage would have been more productive/lucrative.
It has to be considered a pass time / hobby for most of us.
I cant justify it any other way.
I love detecting alone ,in nature. The other day I had a terrible fall (after thousands upon thousands of hours hiking in total). I was alone, couldnt move my leg and had a rock crushing my ribs... another reality of my style of detecting. Leg is still blue from knee to hip.
But I agree, people think that we all secretly find thousands of $ in gold when ever we go out. Something else that is strange is the people who do find valubles then dont sell them to recover the cost of the detector?

But thanks for posting and sharing. Its relevant.

Chub

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of that junk, people will buy on ebay. So you can still make money. I got an old corroded token on there now, and it has a bid!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread