What are your biggest regrets in the hobby?

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even begin to list them here. I would have a nervous breakdown before completing the list.

Metal detecting giveth, and metal detecting taketh away.

DigDug891

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Houston
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG.... 'coffin' analogy aside, sad you didn't get the Lotus. Had a poster of one in my room for years. Then to see the one in 'Pretty Woman'..... One of the best body designs of all time, IMO. But alas, probably too much car for the both of us, and a money pit at that I'm sure.

DigDug891

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Houston
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was for Back-of-the-Boat. Still getting the hang of this.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Living on Martha's Vineyard before I detected. A few years ago a fella eyeballed a tree coin on a beach there....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
After a great run in the 80's, I dropped out of the hobby for 25 years. Life happens to us. I look back at those 25 years away and I can't remember any real delights or pleasures. But I'll always remember the delight of digging up that very pretty junk pendant a couple months ago - worth only the beauty to me.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my long list of metal detecting regrets my biggest one is that I didn't hit it harder in the mid 60's with my Fisher BFO machine. The ground was full of silver then, and lots of halves, of course we spent it about as fast as we dug it, after all it was just normal money then.

Darn indolent youth!
Now you brought that up, I always get a big kick out of talking to the younger newbs and then watching their expressions when you tell them about eyeballing silver etc. I wonder how many of those guys are drinking beers talking about me. You know, the old coot babbling about eyeballing half dollars and searching ghost towns or coming home with more silver & wheats than clad! "Hope he got outta the sun before it's too late!" :tongue3:

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Now you brought that up, I always get a big kick out of talking to the younger newbs and then watching their expressions when you tell them about eyeballing silver etc. I wonder how many of those guys are drinking beers talking about me. You know, the old coot babbling about eyeballing half dollars and searching ghost towns or coming home with more silver & wheats than clad! "Hope he got outta the sun before it's too late!" :tongue3:

Too bad I am not old enough to have experienced the days when that was possible. So many places are so hunted out now that you can't even find shotgun shells, let alone silver. Even in three hundred years people probably won't even be very excited about finding a clad quarter, it will be like how it is finding a square nail or shotgun shell now, old but not extremely interesting and can be found almost everywhere.

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mine was sometime around 2011 or so. I was sifting the creek for fossils (mostly shark teeth, there were so many it was insane), and I noticed that a woman was watching me. She started to ask me questions about what I was doing that got more and more specific that I felt like I was taking a biology exam. One example question was, "What species of shark is that one?" "Isurus hastalis." "How can you tell the difference between those two?". "Oh, this one is the same shape as the Great White, but doesn't have serrations." There were plenty more questions, but it was actually fun answering, since I knew it. She then asked if I was interested in shipwrecks, and I told her they were my favorite, and that I grew up at the Graveyard of the Atlantic. She invited me on to go dive and work on the Queen Anne's Revenge, but it was a ways from home and on a volunteer basis, and being newly married it was the first summer I absolutely needed to make money, so I politely declined. Still haunts me, that's my favorite ship in the world, captained by one of my most interesting historical persons. It's funny too, because I had a teacher previously who did sluice work on it who I had spoken to often about the subject.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to say my only regret is i have not found 2 million $ in gold yet.

Getter

Jun 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up as a kid in Ocala Fl. 200 yards from my front door was an area that was filled with Indian treasure. The entire area was filled with pottery shards and artifacts, even as a child, I had a good collection.

Any time it rained, an arrowhead was almost a certainty. One day, the university came and dug every last bit.

I regret I was a child and did not know enough to amass a collection to set me for life.

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret having used eagle breastplates as skipping stones back in the 1960's. I also regret gettin old to quickly.:coffee2:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret not getting all the research, writings, maps, etc. my great-great uncle had related to his search for a certain treasure in SW Oklahoma. I was supposed to, but you know how family deals sometimes go, all that mysteriously disappeared when he died. Then again, I might have avoided a curse. I would be spending half the year working to build up finances, then the rest living out in the Wichitas, poking around in every nook and cranny and turnin over every rock, rest of the family always makin fun of me. Then again, that wouldn't be such a bad life, you think?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret buying cheap digger after cheap digger instead of doing it right the first time and getting a lesche.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sticking with it after I stated years back and then coming back in. So many places I could have hunted then are gone now or no longer huntable and my health is not as good as it was 25/30 yrs ago. A lot of what was out there has been found and I missed it doing other things that were not as enjoyable. Regret it, just can't change it. Research, check and hunt when and where able to.

ThirtyDollars

Greenie
Jun 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My regrets all had long hair and were flirting with me, but I usually figured it out a day too late. A few were obvious sure things. If I knew then what I know now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread