Funny discussion

Wudnut

May 20, 2017
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new at Metal detecting, i just met a guy who been doing detecting for some time. He asked, why is it, we get excited when we find a nickel or penny buried in the ground 2 inches. Yet if its in our pocket we just treat as chump change and give it no attention?
I smiled and replied, well the penny i found, was a 1991

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is fun to search for single coins and jewels and for buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because we got the one in the ground for "free" - everyone likes that word, even thought nothing is truly free.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the truth. I will get down to the ground and dig up a penny, but if one happens to be on the laundry room floor while I am sweeping up, it goes into the dustpan and trash without giving it a second thought.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have been hunting a long time and that nickel in my pocket I already own, now I want to own whatever folks have lost and I am always thrilled about my finds.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is so funny as I pretty much tell the same story. :laughing7:
If I see anything less than a quarter on the ground I walk on past it. I wouldn't stop to pick up a penny ever!
Now that I am into MD'ing, I get so excited searching for things, hearing the sounds, deciding if it a good target and then trying to dig it out and leave the spot looking like I was never there.
I can't seem to get enough of the Thrill of the Chase!! Could do this all day, every day!

Funny how we can spend an hour or two and come home with $1.25 and be so excited! Never worked so hard for so little money... but it is not about the money is it?

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I must be odd man out by spotting a penny on the floor at a grocery store and stopping to pick it up.

My vacation spending money comes from change so every bit is a plus. I never pay with change, only bills. The change returned from a sale goes into the vacation jar. If it's $4.01 and I have 60 pennies in my pocket I'm still gettin .99 cents back for the jar.

I recently went to FL on vacation and had over 400 extra just from change used in daily transactions.

That's why I pick them up and put them in my pocket.

Ben Franklin would approve, I think.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in the water yesterday as the beaches re-opened for the Memorial Day weekend, pass after pass with no signal - we'd cleaned it out last year!

And then I got a good signal, scooped out a shiny zincoln. With that I was truly delighted :)

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm huntin for the whales. The minnows are just extra free gravy.

And I've always picked up money or something that I can convert into money so long as it doesn't belong to someone else. I always scoured the creeks and roadsides as a kid for soft drink bottles. I mean, Come On; 2¢ is 2¢!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm huntin for the whales. The minnows are just extra free gravy.

And I've always picked up money or something that I can convert into money so long as it doesn't belong to someone else. I always scoured the creeks and roadsides as a kid for soft drink bottles. I mean, Come On; 2¢ is 2¢!

My state has 5 cent on cans, 10 cents on 16oz bottles.... we did that as kids, alot. Some people scratch out a meager living just hitting trashcans in public parks. I figured out one old woman has a daily route.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread