When was your first Gold Find

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Was just wondering if people still remember their first ever gold find whilst MDing and what was it?

I still remember my first gold, but have forgotten most after that. Mine was at Medina Lake back in the mid 80s and it was a White Gold ring with 3 Pearls, one big center and two smaller on the sides.

Back then took it to a place called Shultz in San Antonio to get it cleaned up, he said it was from the 20s and he offered me 700 bucks.

One of the very few items I have kept.

SO what is yours?

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
4-4.5 years ago was my 1st. I remember the park and general area in that park, and I remember it was a thin womans ring below nickel range but not much more than that do I recall. Smashed prongs with no jewels it's not worth much so I still have it as a milestone piece.

I can walk you to exactly where I found the honkers in the years afterwords though!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah! January 13th, the year of Hurricane Sandy. 1774 gold Guinea on the TOP of the sand!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold tooth in my omelet...
Lost by the cook in the galley.

Reward for returning was a jar of dirt.

:P

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who can ever forget their 1st gold find?
My first gold find was actually an eyeball find at Hungry Mother State Park in VA, a 10k signet ring when I was a preteen.
My 1st detector find was just off the edge of a soccer field, a large 14k gold bracelet 3-4" down. Broken clasp.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. Last year during the blazing summer heat I pulled a lunker of a men's white and yellow gold wedding ring. (15 grams) Immediately sold it and bought a better machine. Have yet to sell anyting else I've found, but man, did I need a new detector. :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its sad but i am one of those people that does not remember. I know it was a ring and im pretty sure it was found On Whiteman AFB in Missouri back in the late 70s. If i had to guess, it was likely a Wedding band. I remember when the early 80s came around and gold almost hit 1000 per ounce...i sold everything when gold was in the low 900s. Now...if i could just forget my first wife!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my local park in the grass by the pool.It was a wedding band .It was only an inch down so fairly recent.I felt pretty sorry for the person,so I put it on our local radio station and paper but not even 1 response .I sent it in with some other scrap gold a few years later.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just wondering if people still remember their first ever gold find whilst MDing and what was it?

I still remember my first gold, but have forgotten most after that. Mine was at Medina Lake back in the mid 80s and it was a White Gold ring with 3 Pearls, one big center and two smaller on the sides.

Back then took it to a place called Shultz in San Antonio to get it cleaned up, he said it was from the 20s and he offered me 700 bucks.

One of the very few items I have kept.

SO what is yours?

For me it was 1998 with my 1st detector 'Whites Classic 3' 'No ID'.

I went to a spot on the local lake where a rope swing was ,as I recall through the mid 80's onward . Long since built over with a Subdivision.

They drain this lake every Winter so the Water was low , I was basically checking every signal then I found a nice smaller with diamonds 10 k I think. A GREAT feeling it was.

I gave it to my Mom, then almost 10 years later I eyeballed it in the Backyard, I think Mom R.I.P.
lost it but did not have the heart to tell me.

I still have it somewhere, I'm pretty sure. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sad at all mate, it happens when you find more than your fair share, then combine that with decades of hunting. I have forgotten many items it happens.

Its sad but i am one of those people that does not remember. I know it was a ring and im pretty sure it was found On Whiteman AFB in Missouri back in the late 70s. If i had to guess, it was likely a Wedding band. I remember when the early 80s came around and gold almost hit 1000 per ounce...i sold everything when gold was in the low 900s. Now...if i could just forget my first wife!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was 9/5/2015, 16 months after I began detecting, I dig a small inscribed gold pocket watch.

20150908_213726.jpg 20150908_213757.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer, my 2nd year detecting...one of those "dig EVERY signal" days...paid off with a nice, dainty 18k ladies ring...still waiting for my 2nd...Ddf

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting on a beach on the Oregon coast a few years ago. Found a man's white gold wedding band. I still remember how different the ping was on my MXT. I'd never heard that before ----- what a rush. I'd found other rings, plated, and they don't sound the same. One disappointing ring was found at a log cabin get away on the river, that had been owned by what I assume was a cheap skate doctor, who was being cheap and sneaky with his girl friends. I found a diamond engagement ring, except chunks of the plating was coming off, and the rock was not a diamond, probably glass. That one was a boom to bust, so I don't count that one as my first real gold find.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
10k class ring on a ball field in Monroe, MI in 1983 - returned. The last one was a 10k band at a park tot lot swing set in Plymouth, Mass in '87. Gave it to my wife and she divorced me for another fellow - took a while to recover from that. A long absence from the hobby afterwards.

But! I'm back and hungry for gold :) I will say that I did get some color panning in South Western NC a few years ago.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1976 - age 13 - 14k antique ring with turquoise stone - found on football of old school
I gave it to my mother to wear
I have found over 1000 gold items since then

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14 Kt white gold men's wedding band in a park in Burbank, Calif. 1988

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread