PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on my treasure leads for the year and need some input.

Specifically, the La Muneca/Arapaho Princess treasure lead describes a rock that looks like a doll.

Just out of curiosity, what would a doll look like from the early to mid 1800s that the Native Americans would reference?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I had to look up that legend to get the gist of it. Sounds like a myriad of others that were spun in the treasure mag's of the 1960s and '70s. After awhile, they all sort of started to sound the same :)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The head of a Doll?
Or
The whole Body of a Doll.?

I'd look for Something Native American (from that Period) & something the White Folk (Style) that would have been the Norm in the time period yr talking about.

I really no not much about Gliff's , or old/ Ancient Carved Rocks , or Rocks the look like Faces or People.

I find if I stare at a rock ,or rock wall long enough Ill eventually see a face , as our brains are set up to seek them out.

GL on your Quest.
Davers

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I found this rock and that is what made me look at the treasure lead. Not sure if it looks like a doll. It kind of reminds me of the gopher from the movie Caddyshack.

I have challenged some of the logic to the tale and followed a more likely route and it leads to the rock I found.

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone,

Specifically, the La Muneca/Arapaho Princess treasure lead describes a rock that looks like a doll.

Just out of curiosity, what would a doll look like from the early to mid 1800s that the Native Americans would reference?

Thanks,

Patrick

Here is a photo of a Civil War era doll.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 9.39.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 9.39.55 PM.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 179

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting link about the origin of the word, especially about it might mean a mile marker. The people in my family would maybe call a tall standing rock a 'muñeca' but they're Mexican-Indian, and the people down there searching for gold were Spaniards, and a lot of difference in their language and what we speak around the house. I have a really hard time talking to native Spaniards. So the milestone definition might have some significance.

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a difference in languages. The Spaniards spoke high or noble Spanish. Where I lived in Texas had a lot of hybrid tex-mex Spanish. There were many words one would speak that the other did not understand.

There is more to this area than just the Spanish. After the Spanish were here for a couple hundred years, the French had ownership. There were also bandits/outlaws, settlers, miners and the like.

I am just trying to get an idea of what a doll would have looked like. In my mind, I keep coming up with like corn husk figures.

Essentially, does that rock formation I found appear to be a doll or just a rock.

I might be barking up the wrong tree but it's still a tree.

Patrick

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a difference in languages. ... Where I lived in Texas had a lot of hybrid tex-mex Spanish.
Patrick

Heck .. In the area where my ranch was in Texas, there were some people that knew no Spanish at all, but might as well been speaking Swahili .. I never could understand what those folks were saying, and they were 3rd generation bonafide, certified born and bread Texans.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife said it looked like a bear, not a doll, haha! Of course that observation goes to the particular person's perspective, frame of mind, and background and upbringing. I'd still check around it cause singular landmarks always attract people's curiousity and you might find historic or pre-historic artifacts around it. If you ever get that all figured out, come over to Mt. Princeton and point out the Spanish Princess for me in the chalk cliffs. I've never been able to spot that.

JollyJack

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Very glad you posted these pictures. I am pretty new to the whole treasure hunting thing, and mostly been confined to reasearch, hoping to find time for some actually field work. However I believe I 'found' the same rock outcropping, though I just happened to stumble on it while exploring the area with my wife. I was not in the area looking, but I have done a considerable amount of research on the Arapaho Princess Treasure. I also believe that a good deal of the common logic concerning the location does not add up. I just recently returned from the area, but didn't get a picture of the rock outcropping. I am curious, what led you to this area, and did you go up the hill and investigate further, I know it is steep. Like I said I just happened to see it while passing through and couldn't believe my eyes so I stopped. It was actually the cliff face above which attracted my eyes. Only after looking closer did I notice the oddities of this one you posted. Knowing I was in the general region I made a note of the location for further investigation.

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Patrick D,

Your photograph looks like a prairie dog not a princess.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Is there any historical evidence of a Spanish leader marrying an Arapahoe princess?

Goldspell

May 21, 2023
Probably not a record to put on family tree.com since Arapahos did not document marriages. Nonethless this record is passed down through the generations and the treasure, once found, will go to an Arapaho princess. My daughters are Arapaho, andvof corse they are decended from Chief. If it is found on National Park land, they will claim it.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Probably not a record to put on family tree.com since Arapahos did not document marriages. Nonethless this record is passed down through the generations and the treasure, once found, will go to an Arapaho princess. My daughters are Arapaho, andvof corse they are decended from Chief. If it is found on National Park land, they will claim it.
The treasure was mined mineral. It never belonged to the Arapaho thus won't belong to anyone except who found it.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Hey,

Very glad you posted these pictures. I am pretty new to the whole treasure hunting thing, and mostly been confined to reasearch, hoping to find time for some actually field work. However I believe I 'found' the same rock outcropping, though I just happened to stumble on it while exploring the area with my wife. I was not in the area looking, but I have done a considerable amount of research on the Arapaho Princess Treasure. I also believe that a good deal of the common logic concerning the location does not add up. I just recently returned from the area, but didn't get a picture of the rock outcropping. I am curious, what led you to this area, and did you go up the hill and investigate further, I know it is steep. Like I said I just happened to see it while passing through and couldn't believe my eyes so I stopped. It was actually the cliff face above which attracted my eyes. Only after looking closer did I notice the oddities of this one you posted. Knowing I was in the general region I made a note of the location for further investigation.
I'm pretty sure you didn't just stumble on this location. 🤔

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Hey,

Very glad you posted these pictures. I am pretty new to the whole treasure hunting thing, and mostly been confined to reasearch, hoping to find time for some actually field work. However I believe I 'found' the same rock outcropping, though I just happened to stumble on it while exploring the area with my wife. I was not in the area looking, but I have done a considerable amount of research on the Arapaho Princess Treasure. I also believe that a good deal of the common logic concerning the location does not add up. I just recently returned from the area, but didn't get a picture of the rock outcropping. I am curious, what led you to this area, and did you go up the hill and investigate further, I know it is steep. Like I said I just happened to see it while passing through and couldn't believe my eyes so I stopped. It was actually the cliff face above which attracted my eyes. Only after looking closer did I notice the oddities of this one you posted. Knowing I was in the general region I made a note of the location for

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Patrick
I am 100% positive where the Doll Muneca is located. How much of the story is true, not sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread