$2.97 at Wal-Mart

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
20170331_185645.jpg

Full-tang stainless steel about 1/4" thick - maybe 5 months into the season.

Good luck, OP! :BangHead:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tig welded a stainless rod onto the back of my hand crafted shovel. I will post pics later...but even that has bent. I bend it back. Nobody is doubting, we are realists and experienced detectorists. Lucky you dont have a 12"deep machine!

Chub

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Lesche for Christmas and I'm not impressed at all. The blade is dull compared to the $8 Fiskars digger I used to buy at Walmart. The tip is ridiculously dull as well. I'd love to sharpen it, but then I'd void the warranty. The serrated edge was nice, but now it's gotten dull from use.

The only good thing about the Lesche is the handle. Very comfortable and well designed. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. The Lesche digger is NOT that great of a digger, imo.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't waste a cent on some el cheep o tool for digging around here. I have hit some tough, rocky ground... would snap that thing the OP posted.

I am 6'6" and have big hands. The Lesche is nice but the handle is too small for me. My son likes it.

I like the DigMaster from White's. Big handle and very comfy. Serrated on both sides too! :icon_thumright:

Whites.jpg

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a Lesche for Christmas and I'm not impressed at all. The blade is dull compared to the $8 Fiskars digger I used to buy at Walmart. The tip is ridiculously dull as well. I'd love to sharpen it, but then I'd void the warranty. The serrated edge was nice, but now it's gotten dull from use.

The only good thing about the Lesche is the handle. Very comfortable and well designed. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. The Lesche digger is NOT that great of a digger, imo.

That Fiskars is a decent digger if a guy doesn't pry plugs out with it too often. I used one for two years before it snapped at the handle too.

About the Lesche, screw the warranty, I'd sharpen it. It's $35-40, let the warranty go and make your life easier by sharpening it. Fighting digs with a dull tool to preserve the warranty, sorry, but I got to laugh. :laughing9:

I and others seem to be concerned with breakage more than razor sharpness. That broken hori-hori I posted was sharp enough to slice tomatoes when I recieved it. Cut sweet plugs, too! But what good is a sharp tool if it's broke?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing as how all of us have broken thick thick steel shovels, pry bars, hammers, shovles, ladders, etc...

...we are just sharing the FACT that a hollow compost trowel is bend with little torque.

If we were spreading compost, that's the perfect tool.

If you're cutting plugs in a earth, that is not the tool for the job.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone who can bend this is pure beast! I've never seen a report of a broken Raptor and would love to.

It feels over-built out of the box and can take a total beating in the field. Tamps plugs down great. Not for every soil condition, but no tool is.

31C.jpg

OP
OP
S

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
My original intent with this post about my $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel was to think outside the box, improve on it, and test it to see if it holds up. Also, to potentially give D.I.Y T-Hers and tinkerers whose net worth closely resembles the temperature where they live a possibility. And frankly I was curious to see if I could modify a digger (still improving on it) that would work at my challenging new site. I get the fact that most of you feel the Lesche is the gold standard in diggers and I applaud those who were honest enough to share their BAD experiences with it and others like it. This thread took on a life of its own and you've all given me more than my $2.97 worth of food for thought and entertainment!

It's a good thing though that years back Mr. Lesche (or whoever invented it) didn't listen to the likes of some of you. I imagine he probably got and earful of sentiments like: "Give it up, NOBODY will pay $40 for that deformed looking steak knife to dig treasures!"
HH
-spyguy

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love my whites hand digger and my lesch t-handle, you will regret that walmart digger. I have gone though several cheap diggers, and a small lesch hand digger (the whites is a beast comparatively). If you were around me here in western NY you would bend that walmart digger first or second hole guaranteed.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My original intent with this post about my $2.97 Wal-Mart trowel was to think outside the box, improve on it, and test it to see if it holds up. Also, to potentially give D.I.Y T-Hers and tinkerers whose net worth closely resembles the temperature where they live a possibility. And frankly I was curious to see if I could modify a digger (still improving on it) that would work at my challenging new site. I get the fact that most of you feel the Lesche is the gold standard in diggers and I applaud those who were honest enough to share their BAD experiences with it and others like it. This thread took on a life of its own and you've all given me more than my $2.97 worth of food for thought and entertainment!

It's a good thing though that years back Mr. Lesche (or whoever invented it) didn't listen to the likes of some of you. I imagine he probably got and earful of sentiments like: "Give it up, NOBODY will pay $40 for that deformed looking steak knife to dig treasures!"
HH
-spyguy

In case youre still missing it, let me try again: virtually everyone of us has tried what you are doing and it failed quickly and miserably. We have tried to give you the benefit of our failures but sometimes its just best to let someone have a Learning Experience. Some people just retain/accept Truths better that way.
Again, Best of Luck to you.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a military issue e-tool. Fancy name for a shovel that folds. The edges are fairly sharp and will take the top of your skull off if used properly. The other digger is a plastic garden trowel from Lowes for $2 for the finer work. Sure the the tips wear on this trowel, but for 2 bucks are considered expendable. If the ground is really hard, I will go to the car and get a pick axe. I have yet to gouge a coin with the plastic digger.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That Kool Aid tastes good, its sharp enough to cut skin out of the box - sharp enough for me, I'm making a hole in the ground not whittling wood. I have put an insane amount of torque on mine in rocky, hard packed ground without even flexing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread