Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most of us have had disappointing hunts where you had high expectations for the site. I grid hunted one half of a soccer field not far from where I have found silver and a class ring. I hunted with a dig all signals in the field, this pretty much what I do anyways. I am not a relic hunter per say but in the right places I am. So I avoid most iron signals because of the sheer amount of iron trash and being an older slower crippled type person, I tire easier than I used to. I dug several awesome potential signals today, all pull tabs or similar things. Actually didn't quite get enough clad for our chocolate frostys at wendys. The only jewelry type items were broken cheap stuff. I still found the usual foil trash and other items but just not quite as much. The good thing is that that half is pretty well done(for this time) and there has to be something better in the other half(surely). In this hobby, it only takes one hole to totally change it from being a not so great day to an awesome day. What I love is the total surprise of seeing something unexpected in the hole or plug. As we see in so many posts, there is a lot of stuff that has been lost for us to find. I am always amazed at how much stuff people lose even today. So, a disappointing day isn't the end of the world, it just makes the great days even more awesome. So don't let the lousy days keep you from having the awesome days. Just one more hole before I quit!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same day today bottle caps and pull tabs. And yes I played the "one more hole" game for the last hour of a four hour hunt. Insane lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am so bad about the just one more hole thing, I will do it all the way back to the truck but it has paid off several times. of course it is about the same thing with fishing, just one more cast. hope it gets better for you too

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the gamblers fallacy - just one more hole! OK, one more... :thumbsup:

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Learning that others find a lot of trash has renewed my spirit, believe it or not. I got my first MD for Xmas 2015. Couldn't wait till spring. Took it out a few times only to find fence posts and tabs and he like. Funny story, one time I got my grandson all excited to hunt and we went all over the place. Kept getting hits, he kept digging to find nothing. About an hour into it, I finally figured out I was setting it off with my boots! Duh! The only successful find I had was helping someone find their lost arrows. I found all but one. I haven't touched the MD since.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You summed it all up really well, I think that was written for many of us. And we just keep going, and going and going...........

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
persistence eventually pays off in both great finds and hard earned experience which leads to confidence in the possibilities of better finds. I also believe that for a lot of us, the appreciation level of a great find skyrockets on what some would consider a so-so find

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post DL! Sorry you didn't get enough clad for the Frosty trip. My son and I have implemented that into our trips so no matter what kind of day detecting it was, we get a treat at the end of it!
I don't always find something great but I do enjoy just getting out.
I also do the one more find on the way back to the car and usually put the controller in my pocket so I can just "hear" the target and guess on what it will be. I am usually 90% correct and like to end on a quarter or dime.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you watch school soccer games, you will notice that people sit on chairs and I am sure that change will drop out of their pockets. Good hunting and good luck.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always swing back to the truck!
I once found 2 silver rings on my way back in a schoolyard and therefore I will always do it again since its just a matter of time until those next 2 silvers are encountered. Rock solid fersure guaranteed.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the sidelines are where parents are jumping up and down when the kids play and the trash tends to be higher there too. some parking places around here are just grassy ground and potential finds are there too. My last class ring was in such a spot. the young man had intentionally placed his new ring in his pocket so that he wouldn't lose it. I figure that he lost it when he pulled his keys out. no one knows when or where they will lose something otherwise they wouldn't lose it in the first place. that bucket lister could be in the most unlikely place of all and you are hunting there just because you have no where else to hunt at the moment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread