Better call Saul 6/5-Mike and the metal detector-possible spoilers

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So in the begging of the episode, we see Mike looking at a note pad, then sticking a stake in the ground and begin metal detecting with his Bounty Hunter(202 I believe). You see him swinging high and not really paying attention. If you think he is searching for something, he isn't.

He later digs up the innocent driver's wedding ring with the rest of the body attached(an unrealistic a foot down). Calls the police, reports it, and claims he was looking for arrowheads.

So here is what really was going on:He placed the stake where the body was located. and the location was on the note pad(most likely given by Nacho). He was digging random targets, close to the surface(that's why he was swinging high in the air) to give the appearance that someone was metal detecting the area. The Arrowhead comment was to give the police the impression that he was an amateur hobbyist who wasn't very bright.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what you are talking about, but it appears that it's another hokey TV show, not reality, just baloney, like more than one sandwich, and I'm not really missing anything.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I don't know what you are talking about, but it appears that it's another hokey TV show, not reality, just baloney, like more than one sandwich, and I'm not really missing anything.

It's a great tv show. It's not about metal detecting. But to each their own.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great show!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in the begging of the episode, we see Mike looking at a note pad, then sticking a stake in the ground and begin metal detecting with his Bounty Hunter(202 I believe). You see him swinging high and not really paying attention. If you think he is searching for something, he isn't.

He later digs up the innocent driver's wedding ring with the rest of the body attached(an unrealistic a foot down). Calls the police, reports it, and claims he was looking for arrowheads.

So here is what really was going on:He placed the stake where the body was located. and the location was on the note pad(most likely given by Nacho). He was digging random targets, close to the surface(that's why he was swinging high in the air) to give the appearance that someone was metal detecting the area. The Arrowhead comment was to give the police the impression that he was an amateur hobbyist who wasn't very bright.

Lol this actually went slightly over my head, but yeah I knew there was some sort of guise going on. When he said he was looking for arrowheads with his metal detector I kind of cringed and hoped he was just playing a part. That and his random location swinging was making me wonder. Knew he had the location of the body, but just figured it was bad translation of metal detecting to TV. Makes me feel much better if he actually knew the location to begin with and that was all just to set a scene.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched that episode. I actually called my son immediately (another huge fan) and told him how Mike was using a BH Tracker IV (which I once hunted with) that made an impossible tone, had a functioning meter (that is worthless in real life and went straight to zero over the target) and then claimed to be hunting arrowheads with it when he called the cops.

Mike BH Tracker IV.png

Also, that Tracker IV never would have detected the gold ring at that depth; at least not in a dry desert. Maybe if it was wet it could have been remotely possible but everyone knows that those old BH machines aren't exactly known for their depth.

The writers totally blew that scene but it's a such a great show; I still give them a pass.
I really enjoyed watching the entire scene.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread