Buried Under the Old Oak Tree?

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Best state in the whole damn Union.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an extreme novice at metal detecting (just got my unit 2 days ago,) in fact I'm still not positive how to discern coins from nails yet on my BH Land Star. So bear with me.

However, I'm hunting my parents' acreage, and my mother has this notion that the mafia who came through the area (used to be a resort town on the way north) would bury treasure under oak trees. I personally haven't read anything to support this, but what do I know? Half joking, she told me to check out our old oaks. Well I did, and I got some very strong readings on either side of one.

I am curious, but it seems digging would be a hassle. It is just a stump now, about 4' diameter with overgrowth surrounding it. I'm trying to determine if a dig would be feasible, or worth it. In all metal mode, it starts buzzing loudly a from few inches up to the base of the stump, on either side of it. In notch and disc mode, I'm not getting any beeps, so it might be in an awkward spot, if not under the stump. It's in the gold range, but so is all the junk I've picked up so far.

Quite frankly, I'm stumped (sorry.) Is it worth trying to dig? Are there any techniques I can use to figure out whats giving off the readings? Is burying treasure under oaks really even a thing? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest digging it and finding out what it is. If it's good welcome to addiction if it's not get use to it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definitely dig it. Sounds like it could be something. Don't know where you are but some times people buried money beside large trees like putting in bank. Since this tree is gone it may be a forgotten cache. Do it and have fun sweating for it.... And Welcome to the addiction. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, maybe I'll have my viking stock brothers help dig when the summer heat subsides. hah The only concern I have is with the roots. It could be very difficult to get anywhere, and stump removal for a tree this size runs about 1k. It was standing a few years back until it became diseased. My parents couldn't afford removal so we just lopped it off so it would stop falling apart on the roof. I miss that behemoth! I guess it seems reasonable someone would put their savings there. There was only one prior home owner back in the 80s, but maybe some previous land owners could have hid something.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm already addicted. So far, the only remotly interesting things I found were a 1980s Coors Light can and a small turquoise pebble by happenstance. Not sure how that got there, as Minnesota isn't exactly turquoise territory. Still waiting to hear back from a geologist on that one. Maybe someone dropped it long ago. Lucky for me, I don't mind finding junk. More to research.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im guessing your in upstate ny.im in schenectady if you ever want to partner up

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days, folks would set under the shade trees and leave the contents of there pockets in the grass. I have found some of my best finds under tree roots, also found some plow points too! Let us know what you got.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm an extreme novice at metal detecting (just got my unit 2 days ago,) in fact I'm still not positive how to discern coins from nails yet on my BH Land Star. So bear with me.

However, I'm hunting my parents' acreage, and my mother has this notion that the mafia who came through the area (used to be a resort town on the way north) would bury treasure under oak trees...
They were known to bury 55 gal drums that were not filled with treasure.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's Goooooold in them there teeth! Dig it, I have seen old gold bar pulled from under large trees. 3 feet deep!

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL! Well that would be almost as exciting, if not a little gross. Tsk. Indeed that's something the Iceman would do. (Could I cross my true crime hobby in with metal detecting!? hmm. I already wear an Ed Gein picture ring when digging. LOL)

OP
OP
FeralMermaid

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Welcome from California !
Hint......mom REALLY wants that stump gone !
Have fun with the experience .
Mark.

Probably! What was once a mighty oak is now kind of an eyesore.

But no really, she's a freak like me, and planted the idea of metal detecting in my brain. Her aunt was an avid detectionist, and she's always talked about doing it herself. Just gave up after getting one that didn't work.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trees have always been good to me. Found a WWI collar disc under one today. Found some chiggers too, or they found me. :sadsmiley:

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, FeralMermaid! I must say that you are very well spoken. Perhaps an author? You tend to a very nice turn of phrase.
Yes, large trees do tend to accumulate things, since people like shade and sitting and lying about under trees was normal before the days of air conditioning. It does sound as though your tree was quite old, four feet across at the base could be easily 100 years old or more. If there has never been a home there though there may be nothing to find, unless cows in central Minnesota carry pocket change. You'll find the pages of T-Net littered with stories of "buried loot", most of which are just that-stories. Criminals tend to spend the loot, not normally being the types of folks who plan for the future. Still, stranger things have happened.
You did say something that tells me you've got the right attitude to be a successful detectorist, though. You mentioned research. That's the key to consistently finding nice things in this hobby, research and location. It's the dusty archives and old books, manuscripts and diaries that will put you on the road to finding the old stuff. After all, you need to go where people lose things to find them again.
If that's your photo in your profile, then you should have no problem getting permissions to dig places. A young lady will get permissions to hunt places us crabby old greybeards will be denied, in many cases, and that's a good thing for you.
As far as the beach goes, remember; people tend to live in their own little bubbles. They are there to do what they go to the beach for; swim, recreate themselves, have a few beers, whatever. Your metal detecting will get about zero interest, except possibly from kids; kids are curious. Adults tend to think of Detectorists as somewhat goofy, on the whole, and on the whole, we couldn't care less. As a self avowed "freak", I suspect you too will have a pretty low care factor about what other people think, so load up the old Bounty Hunter and head to the beach.

Last edited:

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig dig dig! In the day it was folks air condition/picnic area in extreme summer temps. I found two silver civil war quarter /dime coins wrapped around massive root system. Probe kept going off, it drove me nuts but I finally was rewarded.

Tree size make the difference too (bigger tree means older treasures/iron. Your story of finding something good would make a great mystery movie too.

Good luck from CT !!!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bite the bullet and start digging! Maybe get some pics along the way just in case you do find something good. Best wishes and welcome to T-net!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, tie a yellow ribbon round that old oak tree (stump). Just so you don't lose track of it - :occasion14:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello FeralMermaid,

IMHO, since you are new and learning the machine digging all signals for a bit will serve you well. Most if not all experienced detectorists hunt by tone, so digging everything will give you the chance to equate target with tone.

If you should have specific questions, please feel free to PM.

GL & HH

Regards,

Doc

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a newbie most folks suggest you dig it ALL as you will learn the language of your machine with every target recovery you make. Loud signals around old trees would be a definite must dig this to see what it is for me. Get your brothers to rent a back hoe and see what you have under those roots.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread