Italy Gold

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
So from my past experiences and others on here I have a question.

Has anyone ever seen gold stamped Italy that was real gold?

I personally have not, I own a house in Italy and find lots of gold, but every one stamped Italy is fake. It is not big secret about the Asian child work shops in Italy producing mass amounts of counterfeit items.

But has anyone ever actually seen something that is stamped Italy that turned out to be real gold.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a quick google search on it which yielded some interesting results.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have, but most of the gold I get is puny. The first "gold" item I bought in my treasure hunting experience was, however, marked 14K Italy and was very fake. This was a larger, heavier chain that would have been around $300-400 spot.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we can take a look at "white wolf" in his thread "thank you italy" he just got a nice Italian gold chain. It would be cool to know if it were real. Take a peek oddjob ? Your threads were very close to each other on the home page. Im curios as I have some pieces marked italian. I need to get a gold test kit.

Never mind I see you've already been there and done that. But now im looking for my italian gold to have checked. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But has anyone ever actually seen something that is stamped Italy that turned out to be real gold.
Not that I can remember. Silver yes, gold no. I know I have a fake 18k Italian gold mesh bracelet somewhere. I didn't buy it as real though so I didn't lose any money.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I can remember. Silver yes, gold no. I know I have a fake 18k Italian gold mesh bracelet somewhere. I didn't buy it as real though so I didn't lose any money.

I had a really nice fake 18K bracelet that I bought a lot closer to the value of a fake one than real, but actually was able to sell, as it was (costume) for around $50.

I definitely find a lot of fake sterling (magnetic especially) marked italy as well. But I mainly buy sterling, so that isn't as much of a surprise to me. Is it just as common to find fake Italy sterling as it is gold?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a really nice fake 18K bracelet that I bought a lot closer to the value of a fake one than real, but actually was able to sell, as it was (costume) for around $50.

I definitely find a lot of fake sterling (magnetic especially) marked italy as well. But I mainly buy sterling, so that isn't as much of a surprise to me. Is it just as common to find fake Italy sterling as it is gold?
There is a lot of fake Italian silver too. My fake bracelet was in a pile of costume that I bought for little money. I also seem to remember reading that gold jewelry items produced in Italy for Italy or the European market will always be at least 18k and marked with a makers mark/registration number. Anything less is made for export, mainly the US.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few chains that tested real that were marked "Italy 585" and weighed around 4 to 6 grams.
But I've held A LOT of fakes but they were very obvious. All of them were huge, thick men's chains that were white in colour.
All of them were marked "Italy 14K" but the piece they are marked on is the same type found on junk chains.
Took a look at White Wolf's and it's dead on to ones I got cash for at the gold buyer's shop.
See the shape of the piece (small, oval with center punched out )that his chain is marked "Italy 585" on?
That's the same type of link you'll see most all gold chains marked on. The same piece that all the "Italy .925" silver chains have as well.
Pay attention to the piece I'm talking about as I just taught my buddy who bought oodles of junk chains over the years what to look for.
I told him you can spot a gold chain a mile away among a pile of junk by noticing that shape of link that the gold stamp is marked on.
Sorry, no pictures of the link but take a look at White Wolf's post and his chain were it has the marking. I believe it's the real deal.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the thread that make me think of it, because I have found more than enough Italy stamped gold, and that chain reminded me of a monster I found just right down from my beach house in Italy.

Now if you have pieces marked Italian, I have a very nice serving set, platter, fork, ladle and gravy dishes that are marked Italian 12K. I had those tested at many of places and they are real gold.

but Italy stamped gold I have never found anything real or even seen anything real. But after having our house for so long on the Italian beach I am pretty much used to any mega honker gold find being Italy stamped.

I found a little leather case once with 9 Papal ingots in there. I got back to the house and threw them in the junk pile. Wife asked me if I tested them, I was like what, thats around 200 grams of gold, in Italy, I would never be so lucky. I told her I am sure they are even stamped Italy. I was wrong , it did not have the Italy stamp, but that is how used to it I have gotten.

That would have ended up being sold on ebay as bling. Man someone would have been happy; then I had to listen to my wife as to why we test everything.

Maybe we can take a look at "white wolf" in his thread "thank you italy" he just got a nice Italian gold chain. It would be cool to know if it were real. Take a peek oddjob ? Your threads were very close to each other on the home page. Im curios as I have some pieces marked italian. I need to get a gold test kit.

Never mind I see you've already been there and done that. But now im looking for my italian gold to have checked. Thanks for the heads up.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a few chains that tested real that were marked "Italy 585" and weighed around 4 to 6 grams.
But I've held A LOT of fakes but they were very obvious. All of them were huge, thick men's chains that were white in colour.
All of them were marked "Italy 14K" but the piece they are marked on is the same type found on junk chains.
Took a look at White Wolf's and it's dead on to ones I got cash for at the gold buyer's shop.
See the shape of the piece (small, oval with center punched out )that his chain is marked "Italy 585" on?
That's the same type of link you'll see most all gold chains marked on. The same piece that all the "Italy .925" silver chains have as well.
Pay attention to the piece I'm talking about as I just taught my buddy who bought oodles of junk chains over the years what to look for.
I told him you can spot a gold chain a mile away among a pile of junk by noticing that shape of link that the gold stamp is marked on.
Sorry, no pictures of the link but take a look at White Wolf's post and his chain were it has the marking. I believe it's the real deal.

Very good info to consider muddyhandz. Thanks !!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, all the gold ones have been fake in my experience. I do have a real silver Italy marked .925 necklace though.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this the link we should be looking for? I hope my chain is real gold. It does look like the real deal.

004.JPG

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's the link I'm talking about. Your chain is gold. If not, then the largest gold buyer in my city is doing something wrong!
Putting Italy aside, that's the same type of link you'll find on most other small gold bracelets and finer chains.
I told my buddy if that link is pear shaped with a small circle it's guaranteed to be junk, like the ones marked "Korea."

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't care where it came from, or how it is marked, anything gold needs to be tested.

rollaz

Tenderfoot
Jun 27, 2017
Russia
Detector(s) used
Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WhatsApp Image 2017-06-27 at 18.50.16(1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-06-27 at 18.50.16.jpeg

This is how looks like real gold in Italy.
I am italian...

More common gold in Italy is 750, that is 18 KT.

In second image you can see 750 stamp and then another stamp.
Other stamp is a star, then a number that identifies the person or firm that made it, and last there is a sign that identifies the italian province where jewel were made.

Just buy in jewleries only.

It depends the city you visit too. Hope this was useful.

Daniele.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions