Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: How has this hobby of metal detecting changed you?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    Indiana
    Garrett AT Pro
    158 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It has made me realize how soft our culture has gotten. I'll dig an axe head and know that the person who used it was using it because they needed to heat their home or cook a meal or heat some water for a bath. People now-a-days would not be able to function if they to live like that. Then if I dig a coin from the depression era, I think how much the person who lost it, really needed it.

Apr 2017
    285 times
    I am much more aware of human behaviour. Not just the pull tabs and litter culture, but the actions that people were making over the last several hundred years. I made a break through hunting at an old military site recently. Im already in tune with nature as I hike alot but tracking peoples movements just by putting yourself in their shoes is rewarding when it pays off.

Chub

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, ATX Deepseeker, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 SE (LTD2), Gold Bug 2, Whites TM-808, Falcon MD
    279 times
    I've been metal detecting since I was about 7 years old, and I still always find myself thinking, "I wonder what could be lost or buried there?" When flying and gazing out the window of a jet I wonder how many meteorites are out there in the vastness of the west, just waiting to be found. And even after all these years I am still amazed at just how much gets lost on any given day, and on how much trash gets tossed down too.
    Kurios1 likes this.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3127 times
    Metal Detecting
    Metal detecting has changed my life in the following ways:: Bringing me to my knees with humbleness and appreciating the value of a penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Loco-Digger, Kurios1 and cactusman like this.

us
    Searching just ain't easy

Aug 2016
    Lost in space
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector
    20 times
    I wanted to become a metal detector back in the 2000s this is when I was much younger. However years by passed and now in 2017 I brought my metal detector lets say back in the summer of 2016, now I recently brought a shovel which is much proper for what I am trying to do. Metal detecting (To me) can be profitable, educational, and you exercise a lot.

My only problem now is, finding places that will let me metal detect, especially with all the laws against digging on (Certain property) which can become a hassle. I pretty much metal detected my whole yard, that involved me finding some of the recent clad quarters, some nickers all this is recent date and hitting live wires. Which broke me up from metal detecting on my property again.

Hopefully, I will be able to metal detect on something else other than my property.

us
    FlippinDirt

Jun 2017
    Dayton, Ohio
    Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
    64 times
    I started up detecting about 4 months ago and it has quickly become a passion and addiction and i am continuously learning more about our nations past and my local area. The history that lies beneath the ground is amazing. From coins to relics to trash, it all has a story.
    RustyGold, Loco-Digger and Kurios1 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    SoCal
    XP Deus Sovereign GT Omega 8500 Patriot
    3083 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    It has caused me to become attached to my iPad to check on the latest TNet info..
    Msbeepbeep likes this.
    "Today" is a great find!

Charter Member
    us
    Saint Malo Marauder

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
    1620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    I am much more aware of human behaviour. Not just the pull tabs and litter culture, but the actions that people were making over the last several hundred years. I made a break through hunting at an old military site recently. Im already in tune with nature as I hike alot but tracking peoples movements just by putting yourself in their shoes is rewarding when it pays off.

Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Im thinking, an Indian pirate? This is actually the rock that most eye patches were formed over. Eye patches were traded along with glass beads. Alot of indians and pirates had one eye in those days. So my reasoning is pretty good. The weave on the towel is indicative of the indians of the carribean. Name of the tribe escapes me right now.

chub
    Really a common, blue, bath towel in this link? Strange Rock, Indian or Pirate

Why don't you learn how to even spell behavior to begin with, and in general? Stop tracking my movements already and lay the Hell off of me! How dare you insult me and my Native American heritage! And no "indians" did not live in the Caribbean, nor did they commonly wear eye patches neither! Do NOT post anymore of your sick and creepy statements ever again and don't put anybody else up to it either!
    Last edited by The_Piratess; Jun 22, 2017 at 08:16 PM.
    Mzjavert and Kurios1 like this.

"I don't want to sail with this ship of fools." - Karl Wallinger

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    741 times
    I think a quote by "Andy Sabisch" pretty much sums it up. "The most valuable thing I have ever found while treasure hunting is piece-of-mind". From his Quattro & Safari handbook.

Apr 2012
    Tupelo, Ms
    Fisher F2 w3coils - Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
    104 times
    I was standing in the parking lot of Zaxby's in Chattanooga Tn Sunday taking a picture of my daughter and wife and looked down and found 2 cents. When you pick up a detector nothing looks the same. Always detecting!
    sprailroad and Kurios1 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Scotland, Aye !!

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    6848 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    It makes me appreciate more life's experience of looking at grass (and all that is above the ground) from the top down versus from the roots up.
    Don.......

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Carrot
    1470 times
    Metal Detecting
    Actually it hasn't changed me. Rather it has helped me discover and define parts of my personality. Being a true introvert I enjoy a solitude hunt. Being shy, I hate the thought of asking for permission to hunt on private property. Yet metal detecting is so vast, I have found the types of hunting that fits me.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    3127 times
    Metal Detecting
    I buy more BENGAY

Charter Member
    us
    Saint Malo Marauder

Apr 2017
    Ghost Ship
    Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
    1620 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    I buy more BENGAY

Lol! Good one.
    Truth1253 likes this.

"I don't want to sail with this ship of fools." - Karl Wallinger

us
    Jun 2012
    MA
    M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
    7898 times
    I have learned to appreciate that which surrounds me, more....except the gang members trying to shoot each other...what can ya do...but duck!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
    Truth1253 and Kurios1 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links