How has this hobby of metal detecting changed you?

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something I was thinking about the other day after digging up trash. I know that I have become VERY aware when I see others throwing trash on the ground! I keep thinking...that could be dug up by my grandchild someday! Might sound stupid but that is how I feel. Also, this hobby has helped me lose (and dieting) 26 lbs in the last few months. Just the walking around and bending down. And.... it has given me pleasure to start learning about the history of the area I live in...as I am originally from Pennsylvania.

Again, I am just wondering how this hobby has changed you.

Last edited:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am out digging up relics around the old homesteads, I try to imagine how life was back when the settlers were here. This hobby has made me enjoy life more.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way it's changed me is that I can no longer look at the ground around an old house ,or building without thinking about what may be buried there .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With life so busy, time with headphones on my head and sweet sounds of coins, relics and jewelry flowing into my ears; I find metal detecting very centering and relaxing. :icon_thumright:

The world is full of bad choices, addictions, frustration...etc.; metal detecting seems to be a healthy alternative. :thumbsup:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll never look at old parts of town the same again. Sure, the buildings are nice to look at, but all my mind can think about is what is under these streets?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've also developed ADD because I'll be driving down the road and out of no where volleyball court.

Last edited:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into metal detecting after buying up "junk" silver at local auctions. Ran my bank account down and considered buying some gear and finding it myself. Well, you know what happens to a lot of folks is you start researching old sights, and learning your local history. As for the trash issue I believe all the garbage I recover is paying for my past "sins" of tossing pull tabs, foil, etc, myself. :BangHead: Many folks find metal detecting their "therapy" for allowing the cares of life to drift away while out on the hunt. My appreciation for the past has increased and just driving around I am constantly "scouting" out potential spots for even one more cool recovery. This is more than a "hobby" to me. I never thought metal detecting would change my perspective on normal everyday things so dramatically but, it certainly has.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think it has made me more handsome, intelligent and prosperous.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
It has relieved me of my weekend mornings and several thousand dollars, but it has paid me back may times that.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent my adult life convinced I'd never get a tattoo....nothing in this world means that much to me to ink myself for the rest of my life....
Now I got a bada$$ pirate with a metal detector.:headbang:

Mom is still pissed.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has it changed me? No, then again...i'm always looking for change!

OP
OP
cajamk

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kurios1, thank you so much for your reply to my question about how this hobby has changed your life. I could not have worded it better myself. When I pull trash out I am also paying for my past "sins" . Great reply.

OP
OP
cajamk

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Escape , I can see from your profile pic that you are more " handsome, intelligent and prosperous." than most of us here on Treasurenet! LOL!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
being as I have always been smarter than most people and extremely good looking, I have been a bit shy in public

with my detector, hat and sunglasses, I now go freely where I will

Pepper06

May 9, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has made me realize how soft our culture has gotten. I'll dig an axe head and know that the person who used it was using it because they needed to heat their home or cook a meal or heat some water for a bath. People now-a-days would not be able to function if they to live like that. Then if I dig a coin from the depression era, I think how much the person who lost it, really needed it.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am much more aware of human behaviour. Not just the pull tabs and litter culture, but the actions that people were making over the last several hundred years. I made a break through hunting at an old military site recently. Im already in tune with nature as I hike alot but tracking peoples movements just by putting yourself in their shoes is rewarding when it pays off.

Chub

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been metal detecting since I was about 7 years old, and I still always find myself thinking, "I wonder what could be lost or buried there?" When flying and gazing out the window of a jet I wonder how many meteorites are out there in the vastness of the west, just waiting to be found. And even after all these years I am still amazed at just how much gets lost on any given day, and on how much trash gets tossed down too.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting has changed my life in the following ways:: Bringing me to my knees with humbleness and appreciating the value of a penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myth legend

Aug 15, 2016
Lost in space
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Metal Detector, now an At Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to become a metal detector back in the 2000s this is when I was much younger. However years by passed and now in 2017 I brought my metal detector lets say back in the summer of 2016, now I recently brought a shovel which is much proper for what I am trying to do. Metal detecting (To me) can be profitable, educational, and you exercise a lot.

My only problem now is, finding places that will let me metal detect, especially with all the laws against digging on (Certain property) which can become a hassle. I pretty much metal detected my whole yard, that involved me finding some of the recent clad quarters, some nickers all this is recent date and hitting live wires. Which broke me up from metal detecting on my property again.

Hopefully, I will be able to metal detect on something else other than my property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread