Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I knew/ figured scam RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I guess I'm way to honest with everybody and so old school. Meaning... if I tell you what I'm going to do... I'LL DO IT!!!! I'd like to trust others to do the same but in today's world it is not possible.

Should I take / send the check to Bank Of America or what? I want these F****'s found and prosecuted. Contact who... local, county, state or Federal enforcement?

NEVER would I ever entertain cashing something like this... Who the hell would....? And why?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,
I'd start off with the local police station odds are they'll pass it along to the state police, fbi or whoever's jurisdiction it falls under.

Regards + HH

Bill

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these scum bags are not within this country. Not much that can be done other than pass the word along and deal with cash only.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
A few years ago I was talking to a friend that works at the local sheriffs dept about scams like this. The dept has 1 man for internet scams, and my friend said the dept wouldn't even look at something like this, there has been no harm done.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I was talking to a friend that works at the local sheriffs dept about scams like this. The dept has 1 man for internet scams, and my friend said the dept wouldn't even look at something like this, there has been no harm done.
All of you guys are absolutely correct. Nothing can be done. The master minds do not live in the USA. Even if you fall flat on your face and lose everything, they can't do anything about it. I understand the rage and frustration, Channel that energy into teaching and preaching about scam fraud. If everyone becomes educated, no one will ever fall for it. Then the these guys will go away. They are only working the scam because they are making money at it.
Craigslist Sucks, it is a scammers paradise. I do not put any phone number on the ad email only.

I have had them contact me in the past. There is a lot of fun to be had with a great deal of satisfaction to be had playing absolutely dumb with them. Tell them that you will deposit the check in a week when your foot gets better. They will call and call and you keep giving them the run around. They will kick the dog till its dead. When you have had your fill of fun a month or so. Bust out laughing and ask them if they really think Americans are that stupid? The silence at the end of the phone is delightful. All that work for NOTHING :)

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I've sold several large ticket things on Craigs that went ok but be warned. Along with this scam there are others.
It's unfortunate but people fall for stuff because of greed. On one concerning a Harley on E bay. A guy was hooked on the deal (almost) The scam was the owner died and the wife couldn't have it around as it reminded her of the husband. Even after my wife directed the the guy to the E bay scam watch he still wanted to believe it. Couldn't let it go. He didn't acknowledge the possibility of a scam as he only saw himself on the bike. Eventually he did quit the deal. This is so pervasive I know two that almost bought into scams on both E bay and Craigs. No telling of the ones that fell for it.
That's what greed will do and all the flim flam pros out there develop their art.
Limitool I'm glad you saw the light. Your right about an honest man, they are the hardest to scam.

Even if the scammers do live in the USA and even if the money doesn't go to terrorists or money launderers there are plenty of garden variety cons out there who will pick any pocket. My bet most are just the normal run of the mill cons. Might even live next door.
As there is no shortage of greed I doubt an education will change anything.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
The more time you can have the scammers waste on you, the less time they have for the others, that may fall for it.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I posted on Craigslist looking for a dog. Within one day I had to pull my wanted ad because of all the hate mail and scammers contacting me.
I've never used Craigslist before and I wouldn't again.
I had one person say they were a twelve year old girl with a father dying of cancer and that I needed to adopt her puppy immediately.
Her area code was from nebraska but she claimed to be in Michigan. Her name was something like Farooduk Madusha and she wanted me to send payment to Sri Lanka or some place like that. I guess she thought I was that stupid haha.
I had mentioned that I just needed a good farm and woods dog and I wasn't looking for a $500 dog because most puppy mills on Craigslist charge $500 and that's too much for me. We've mostly always had free rescues and they've been great dogs.
I had people emailing me asking how I would afford vet bills if I can't afford $500 for a dog haha. I didn't even bother replying.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the scam is thus -- they want YOU to cash the bad / bogus check -for them -and send them back the rest of the cash * -0h- in a few days when the check bounces --you my friend will be on the hook for passing a no good check to the bank and will owe the bank a full refund --the scammers will tell you to wire them the "extra cash" via western union and once they get their hands on it --using a phony ID --poof their gone in the wind -- an if you send them anything they will steal that too most likely --so they get your stuff for free as a bonus --plus any "cash" you send them -- and your out your goods plus all that cash as well..

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few years ago, I think somewhere in the upper west coast a couple went on vacation and someone with a grudge posted on craigslist their address with a statement saying that "we've moved and have no more room for stuff. Feel welcome to come by this weekend and get anything we left behind." The people that posted where busted but yikes!! Don't ever under-estimate people's ability to spoil your day.
I've always had success with Paypal. And an additional idea for large transactions is Escrow Online Service, Safe and Secure - Safefunds.com - Paymaster Service Worldwide.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never bought ANYTHING on-line, and never will. Have never even used a "debit" card, I've always paid in cash whenever I could. I prefer to see and feel whatever it is I buy, and not from a picture etc. off of E-bay or Craigs list or whatever. That has worked for me, so I'll stick with it. Sure, I've received phone calls about "problems" with my computer, calls about investing (oil wells no less) and a host of other things over the years. Sad to say, but in so many ways, it's comes down to "Buyer Beware".

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, I think somewhere in the upper west coast a couple went on vacation and someone with a grudge posted on craigslist their address with a statement saying that "we've moved and have no more room for stuff. Feel welcome to come by this weekend and get anything we left behind." The people that posted where busted but yikes!! Don't ever under-estimate people's ability to spoil your day.
I've always had success with Paypal. And an additional idea for large transactions is Escrow Online Service, Safe and Secure - Safefunds.com - Paymaster Service Worldwide.
Hey are you giving us ideas here? This is fairly Brilliant stuff. I am sure we can all think of someone that deserves this kind of ad! :) Oh wait, reel it back in TRD. If anyone is thinking about replicating this stunt don't forget about your digital fingerprint! Cyber tracking is pretty easy if you don't know what you are doing :).
Escrow accounts are Brilliant !! But there is a scam around that as well. To make you feel at ease sellers on craigslist were saying to click the link and deposit money for the Car (or what ever) in an eBay escrow account. Below the picture was a handy little button called (eBay Escrow) Except that a) It didn't go to an eBay escrow account and b) eBay doesn't do escrow accounts for anything except things sold on eBay. If you are in a situation to need an escrow account , make sure YOU originate the transaction through your own escrow company. Never use someone else's and Never originate an escrow by clicking a link on line and submitting info. An excellent sniff test for anyone insisting there ad is safe because it has an escrow feature is to let them know that you wish to buy, but you will be using your own escrow company. If it is a scam they will either go dark or they will argue that their escrow account is better or safer and insist that they can't sell the car or? using anything except their escrow. Neither of which is true. Have a Friends Daughter (19 years old) that lost 6K to an F Tard this way. She called me crying. Its hard to tell a young lady that she just gave away 6K and there is nothing that can be done :(

There is a Ton of useful information being Disseminated here! I think the original poster should change the Subject of this thread to How to avoid being a Dumkoff!! Lets spread the word people. These scammers need to have a short life.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never bought ANYTHING on-line, and never will. Have never even used a "debit" card, I've always paid in cash whenever I could. I prefer to see and feel whatever it is I buy, and not from a picture etc. off of E-bay or Craigs list or whatever. That has worked for me, so I'll stick with it. Sure, I've received phone calls about "problems" with my computer, calls about investing (oil wells no less) and a host of other things over the years. Sad to say, but in so many ways, it's comes down to "Buyer Beware".

It has been BUYER BEWARE since before Jesus. When did the masses fall off track and forget this simple concept?
I am the exact opposite of you. Except for big ticket tangibles e.g. cars, watches, art etc.. I buy everything online. (I really truly hate shopping in stores) But I have a credit card specifically used for online purchases and I make sure it has excellent fraud insurance. I get it hacked about every 2 - 3 months. The card company almost always spots the fraud first. I get a call. Nope that charge is not mine. Card immediately canceled, Im not liable for the purchase and receive brand new card in a day or two. Pretty painless really. The F Tards can't get your confidential information by stealing your Credit Card number. The only way they can get it is, if you are being a Dumkoff and fill confidential info out online!!
Heres my credit card number and ship address thats all you get!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently crime pays. If you live in or near a city and get access to the catch and release policies in many places it's easy to understand why there are repeat offenders.We had a DA here that seemed like she was afraid to take cases to trial. most went to a plea agreements.

If you ever have the opportunity to meet and talk to a con it's enlightening.They don't think like most people. Everything has an angle for them. If not incarcerated they fall into jobs like sales people in high stress areas where BS'ing a customer is SOP. Or politics.
A sociopath has no conscious like most and feels no guilt. So don't bother pointing your finger and saying "Aren't you ashamed!" They aren't. No cure.
Once I had to tell a guy that I was going to report his calls to the Telephone Company. He said, go ahead, I'll just get another number.
I'd have never thought of that. They breeze through things I would have thought were a problem.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now me being me (you'd have to really know me)... Tell them you cashed the check and THANK YOU!!!! When the guy / folks come to pick up the cabinet I'd have a "field day" at this point. That's right up my ally and mindset. Only one way in and out. I'd love to block the drive (easily done) and then do what I want for a long time with all activities being totally recorded. Me... being me.... I would FORCE them to call law enforcement and then explain. I don't care if they get to "skate" or not...? I'd make their life miserable for awhile. And I'd be prepared for any other threats by them also in desperation.

THIS WOULD TOTALLY MAKE MY DAY. And any threats by them or law enforcement would be a laugh at this point. I'm probably late but I'd still like to do it. I'd have a damn blast!!!! But I guess ya gotta be me to understand this mindset...!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now me being me (you'd have to really know me)... Tell them you cashed the check and THANK YOU!!!! When the guy / folks come to pick up the cabinet I'd have a "field day" at this point. That's right up my ally and mindset. Only one way in and out. I'd love to block the drive (easily done) and then do what I want for a long time with all activities being totally recorded. Me... being me.... I would FORCE them to call law enforcement and then explain. I don't care if they get to "skate" or not...? I'd make their life miserable for awhile. And I'd be prepared for any other threats by them also in desperation.

THIS WOULD TOTALLY MAKE MY DAY. And any threats by them or law enforcement would be a laugh at this point. I'm probably late but I'd still like to do it. I'd have a damn blast!!!! But I guess ya gotta be me to understand this mindset...!

Typically nobody would come for your item. They just want that cash from the bogus check, once they have that they will disappear into the shadows.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i know a few folks that use that letgo app, and have been robbed
same with craigs, i use craigs locally 25-30 mile radious, best way
to weed the bad guys out is meet at the cop station,as most cities
offer that option now

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know a few folks that use that letgo app, and have been robbed
same with craigs, i use craigs locally 25-30 mile radious, best way
to weed the bad guys out is meet at the cop station,as most cities
offer that option now

Good advice. I buy/sell quite a bit locally and always meet at a place of my choosing. Also, I am always armed - never hurts.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i know in 3-4 yr time, 3 folks been robbed, 1 busted
even public places arent safe if the bad guy insists

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread