Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted an ad on Craigslist Nashville awhile back for two handmade Oak Display Cabinets my father build.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/fuo/6157141385.html

I got this response. They asked if I'd accept a cashiers check @ pick-up. I said NO. I stated "Please send a personal check or bring cash". If "You send a personal check and it clears I'll let you know and you can pick it up then". Cool they said...?

Next day I get an email saying the check is in the mail but some extra money was added for moving expenses. I instantly wrote back and said "Don't send ANY extra money just the $450.00" please.

I didn't / don't give a damn about somebody's "moving expenses" for this cabinet. This happened on Wed. of the past week. Sat. I receive a check for $2,074.25. (See attached pics). Selling price was $450.00. On Sat. I get repeated texts about "Did I receive the check". 3 messages came. Each had a different name meant to address "me". Last message was "Have you changed you mind"...? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who the hell sends 4X's plus the asking price of an item? I NEVER got back with them. I googled the Company but the zip isn't right and I stopped. WHO THE HELL WOULD DO THIS AND WHY? Never would I EVEN attempt to cash a check for 4X+ the amount asked. And what am I missing....?

Attachments

• DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN0764.JPG
    DSCN0764.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be what they call money laundering. Do not cash the check. If you do, and they want a refund of the overage they can steal YOUR bank account information from the cashed check. It's a scam. You might want to make a report to your banker.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scam is, They send you a check for over the amount. Then you say I don't need moving expenses they say OK give us the difference back. After they leave the check bounces and you hold the bag on what you gave them and they get free cabinets. its lame, people, good people continue to fall for it. They keep reintroducing this scam with a new twist and around it goes again. One would think everyone is sharp enough to see through it but sadly not. Fraud is a Billions a year business. Bast Terds

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be what they call money laundering. Do not cash the check. If you do, and they want a refund of the overage they can steal YOUR bank account information from the cashed check. It's a scam. You might want to make a report to your banker.

FYI because of things like this, it is no longer required to put your account number on the back of the check. You do not even have to sign your name on it. you can print it in block letters.
Do not put account info like this or sign your deposit checks, anymore!!!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI My Awesome Uncle Gene is a retired FBI agent that worked in Fraud and counterfeiting division for 20 years. He says that every penny these F Tards steal goes straight to funding terror From the Osamas to any other anti American uprising. They take money from us and use it against us. Unfortunately we all need to be on guard about everything we do. They need to be permanently stopped. God Bless America

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldest scam in the book.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a truck listed on craigslist, first week I got 3 of these scam offers.

I noticed they all start out with "Hello, do you still have the truck ??"
First one I said yep then they launched into their spiel offering to pay over the amount asked with a cashiers check then sending an associate to pick it up at my convenience.

So now when someone asks "Hello, do you still have the ______ ??" I instantly block their number from bothering me further.
True, someone legit could ask the same thing but I don't care - I put in my ad "If you see this, it is still available" so if someone legit is dense enough to still ask then I don't want to deal with them anyhow.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And to your local FBI office and local police. Good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, should contact the police. For your own protection.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I get similar messages for most things I post on Craigslist over $100. My reply is always for cash only. If message is voicemail or text, I block the number.

More COFFEE! Now!

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are fake, Cashier's Checks! Your bank will cash them for you but once they find out it is a fake, then you owe every bit of the money back! Report it!!!

They use this scam to prey upon people's naivety, or greed as some will cash them thinking that they will end up with extra money. Then they send someone immediately to pick up your item and collect the "moving expenses". Then after the "check" is found to be no good you have to pay the money back, you got robbed on your item and they cannot be tracked down.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are fake, Cashier's Checks! Your bank will cash them for you but once they find out it is a fake, then you owe every bit of the money back! Report it!!!

They use this scam to prey upon people's greed as some will cash them thinking that they will end up with extra money. Then they send someone immediately to pick up your item and collect the "moving expenses". Then after the "check" is found to be no good you have to pay the money back, you got robbed on your item and they cannot be tracked down.

I had one sent to me. Mine like this one looks very legit. The draft is from a REAL large company that googles with pages of returns. The listed Bank is Real with a REAL address in the local town of the legit company. It is on real Check stock. Its the account number that is bogus. Everything about it looks too good to be true, because it is. I called my uncle about it. He says that they get flooded with these reports and there is nothing they can do about it. All of the forgery is overseas and they have local runners that vaporize after the payday. That is why you got three emails with wrong names. There is a phone mill that people just churn over until they get a hit. Really sad. I guess the main take away is Don't let greed cloud your vision and tell everyone you know about this, especially our seniors (more senior than me anyway) Our elderly are the biggest target. They get taken daily and that my friends is a travesty.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The scam is, They send you a check for over the amount. Then you say I don't need moving expenses they say OK give us the difference back. After they leave the check bounces and you hold the bag on what you gave them and they get free cabinets. its lame, people, good people continue to fall for it. They keep reintroducing this scam with a new twist and around it goes again. One would think everyone is sharp enough to see through it but sadly not. Fraud is a Billions a year business. Bast Terds

It sure is and they sure are that and more! Most criminals are going into this area of crime and cyber crime because it is easier for them to get away with it. Cyber crime tech and law enforcement are booming, is a very good field to go into with lots of room for growth and advancement. It's a great profession for young people who are computer savvy and even hackers too. Plus many get to put a lot of their hours in working right at home. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one sent to me. Mine like this one looks very legit. The draft is from a REAL large company that googles with pages of returns. The listed Bank is Real with a REAL address in the local town of the legit company. It is on real Check stock. Its the account number that is bogus. Everything about it looks too good to be true, because it is. I called my uncle about it. He says that they get flooded with these reports and there is nothing they can do about it. All of the forgery is overseas and they have local runners that vaporize after the payday. That is why you got three emails with wrong names. There is a phone mill that people just churn over until they get a hit. Really sad. I guess the main take away is Don't let greed cloud your vision and tell everyone you know about this, especially our seniors (more senior than me anyway) Our elderly are the biggest target. They get taken daily and that my friends is a travesty.

Yes it certainly is!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the age of technology...

Cash is still king.

I still walk in to pay for my gas and not just because its good exercise :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a scam, they want the change then suddenly their checking account is closed and your out the money when it turns out they were playing a shell game with their bank.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very glad that you didn't go there. Good advice from the guys & lady's on this forum.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I like to play along with these people. Tell them you are currently in jail and trying to raise bail money. Say they need to send the next check to you at the jail at the local police dept.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate the scammers and glad you didn't go for it. I'd like to sell everything for 4X the sale price but the buyer would be busted quickly if it were real and if not thought through or you take that everyone is good, you're gonna get taken. Wife and I are pretty much on to the telescammers and love the ones who tell me that there is a problem with my Windows program. I like to say that's odd since I own nothing but Apple products, you must be full of (Fill in the blank) and please take your scam and do not call back again. A call back to the number states that it does not exist or accept calls. Oh yeah, I have Windows products but know enough to know when I have a problem and if it is something I can handle or need Microsoft help. mick56, I like that, credit card people call up to sign you up for a high card, "well, that would be fine but I have to disclose that I am currently under investigation for"... click, most time you don't get to finish once you get to there. With more online buying, you have to become savy at everything or at least a bit less trusting and more aware of what can happen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread