Be prepared(dehydration)!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I want to warn you dont do the same mistake I made over the weekend. I went detecting in the city locally, I took no water. After about a few hours in the sun, I was so drained, I nearly passed out.

I made it back to the car and went to a different spot(there was a soda machine there). I bought an orange soda(should of got water I know). While 30 minutes at the next area, I got so tired, that I didnt dig anything, and went home.

Make sure you take plenty of water and keep it cool during hot days!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
water first and no beer the night before :occasion14:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip to remember. It's 95 and dew point is 70 here in Connecticut today!

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get thirsty you waited to long. If you're not pissing clear before, during and after hunting you are playing with fire and you just may be doing the chicken in the near future. G2 and H2O, no soda.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping hydrated during hot weather is key,I almost had a heat stroke about 10 years ago while roofing a house. Got to the point where I stopped sweating, passed out under a shade tree and ended up in the hospital overnight. I can still take the heat but not as well.

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen many a Marine do a face plant in the field from dehydration/heat stroke, sometimes it just can't be avoided in those circumstances.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Camel Back. I love those things!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you should get checked by a doctor. A 'few hours' does not dehydrate me at all and really shouldn't anybody in good physical condition, so maybe somethin else goin on.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be smart and avoid the heat all together. Go out early in the morning and only spend a few hours at most.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just be smart and avoid the heat all together. Go out early in the morning and only spend a few hours at most.

if I did that I would have to hunt in the dark by 6:00 am here its already in the 90s and I have seen it in the 80s and 90s after the sun goes down just carry plenty of water with you and take short breaks in the shade if you can find shade crap what am I talking about sometimes its over a 100 in the shade LOL

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone isn't familiar with Sqwincher....check this out...
More potassium, less sodium.... lots of flavors
Sport drinks, powders, concentrates, even freezy pops!
Home - Sqwincher

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get tickled at people that make a two and a half hour to four hour drive up from the valley to this area where I live thinking its going to be cooler up here just to find out its just as hot as where they came from and their not prepared for it

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm sorry about my first take on that as I talked with my son about that and apparently dehydration affects different people in different ways, which you think it would be the same for all of us. Maybe not related to some underlying medical condition, but could be in some cases, generally just related to a particular person's metabolism. Drink lots of water, stay out of the heat, and take care.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping hydrated during hot weather is key,I almost had a heat stroke about 10 years ago while roofing a house. Got to the point where I stopped sweating, passed out under a shade tree and ended up in the hospital overnight. I can still take the heat but not as well.

Once you've had heat or sunstroke, it will make you even more susceptible to having another one. Be careful!

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Man I'm sorry about my first take on that as I talked with my son about that and apparently dehydration affects different people in different ways, which you think it would be the same for all of us. Maybe not related to some underlying medical condition, but could be in some cases, generally just related to a particular person's metabolism. Drink lots of water, stay out of the heat, and take care.

no problem.

"I get tickled at people that make a two and a half hour to four hour drive up from the valley to this area where I live thinking its going to be cooler up here just to find out its just as hot as where they came from and their not prepared for it"

I was in the city 15 minutes away from my house with a very slow drive. There were a number of factors that lead to me being "heat exhausted":

1. I drank beer the night before
2. I went detecting for 6 hours the day before.
3. I didnt get much sleep the day before.
4. The weather has been cool and in the 60's, then it was a sudden jump in temperature into the 90's over the next two days. My body wasn't acclimated yet.
5. I only drank some fluids that day and brought no water.

All these factors lead to what happened. Normally, im pretty good with the heat.

Thanks for the responses everyone!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you bring a frozen bottle of water with you, it will melt enough to keep you in icy cold water for your full hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread