Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Best detector for finding 10lb gold bar in bottom of river

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7191 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by chub View Post
    Wallmart LRD works well. Is the river in Nigeria? I can send you the money for the release of the detector.

Chub
    Watch out. No doubting
    dirtdigginfool likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    Do not forget me 24601

Oct 2011
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Mark IV Garrett Ace 350 Garrett Carrot
    2725 times
    Metal Detecting
    Personally I'd magnet fish the area first to get rid of as much junk as possible.
    RustyGold, chub, Rustic and 1 others like this.

us
    Jun 2013
    Anywhere but here!!
    4153 times
    Any good White's, Tesoro, Fisher or Minelab Metal Detector made for use under water down to 20 feet to several hundred feet or made for both land and water use will likely do the job. It depends upon how accurate you want it and the price you are willing to pay. Considering that the Gold Bars have been sitting on or under the river or stream bed for some 100 years or more, they will likely throw off one heck of a wide signal which could make pinpointing the exact location or center of the target difficult. You may be wanting to Scuba Dive to locate the Gold Bars but understand that any metal you have on you for diving and/or for digging, will likely interfere with finding the signal of the Gold Bars. You could snorkel or use a Hookah System to stay down for longer times to search for the intended targets and neither will interfere with the signal. Do understand that you may and likely will encounter other targets that give off strong signals under water, so it would behoove you to remove these while searching as they will likely mask or hide the signals from the Gold Bars. Who knows, the other targets could turn out to be some things that are special or even very rare and worth a good sum of money.

Good luck!

Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Jun 19, 2017 at 07:07 PM.
    RustyGold and dirtdigginfool like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus Sovereign GT Teknetics Omega Equinox 800 Pre-ordered
    3834 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    An AT Pro comes to mind after watching aquachiggers videos on YouTube!

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
    486 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Let's start an office pool bet guys: Typically when someone with only a single post comes on board with a fantastic wild treasure, that's the last we ever hear from them. They become 1-post wonders, never answering the feedback people gave them.

I'll be the first to throw a dollar into the ring and say "single post "
    Someone owes Tom a dollar.

Chub

Jun 2017
    6 times
    Guys, awesome info, thanks. Currently I have 2 jw pulse 8xs one with 8x48 coil and a non working (for now) pulse star 2 w 40x40 coil. Also have dive hookah set up and lots of diving experience in currents. Research is done so check that off the list. Doing recovery with 2 others and don't trust anyone else. I like the fish finder idea. I know GPR and resitivity won't pick up on something this small. Thanks.
    BTW, anyone know who can fix the pulse star 2? Not getting a response from tb electronic.....

Oh, almost forgot to thank you trolls for your entertaining comments......thanks!
    Tom_in_CA and Clay Diggins like this.

Apr 2017
    486 times
    I never mean any malice with my posts. I wish you the best of luck. What size (dimensions ) are the size of the bars?

Chub

us
    Mar 2015
    Bodymore, Metalland
    Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
    553 times
    He's back and he's serious! Tom send someone that dollar lol. I'll let you know if the fish finder helps with my search but my trailer bearings are shot and need replacing. Once you get those bars come hookah my silverware with me. It'll be easier than gold bars.

Jun 2017
    6 times
    Ha, no worries Chub. It's all entertainment. Don't know dimensions just mass. Guess....2x4x2in?

May 2017
    2 times
    If these may be spread out over a decently large area, wouldn't you want to pull a boat towed submersible metal detector to cover a large area and ID possible targets? Then use those targets for diving exploration.

maybe find a rental - JW Fishers Pulse 10 Boat Towed Metal Detector

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, a Fisher 1280X and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1004 times
    Shipwrecks
    I'm probably too late to the party to have anything pertinent, but what you are doing isn't too different from what we do here on the 1715 wrecks.
    5 lbs of gold is approx. 7 cubic inches, so the 5-10 lb zone is less than half the size of a brick.2"x 4" x 1 or 2 inches.
    The river is said to be slow moving, but during flooding is that an area that is still relatively calm or could your targets have been scoured out of the bottom and sent downstream some distance? If the bottom is muddy or big chunky rock, chances are better that whatever was thrown in may still be in the area. Seems likely that if is hard bottom, scoured down to the rock or gravel base, you might want to look downstream til you find a deep hole.
    I'd likely do a look with a SS sonar...Humminbird or Lowrance side imaging would give you a look at the structure of the bottom, then just do some survey lines looking at the down imaging sonar and you can get a good idea of the consistency of the bottom as well...It might be nice to find out if you will be diving on a smooth bottom or if someone's old corn picker is down there waiting for you to find it in low viz or to grab your expensive MD tow sled and coil. Voice of experience speaking on that one. "River" implies short visibility.
    Enough with the unsolicited advice.
    Almost everyone here on the 1715 Fleet uses Aqua Pulse detectors, but if it is fresh water, not salt or brackish, the choice of a MD is a lot broader.
    Good luck! I hope you find it on your 7th dive...just enough for an adventure, but not so many dives as to get discouraged!
    chub likes this.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    De Tampe Bahia - La Florida
    JW 8X - ML X2
    18135 times
    Pulse 8x skid.

And I know where one is for sale.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash.

Jun 2017
    6 times
    Darn, I just bought an 8x skid....Too late!

Apr 2017
    486 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman View Post
    If these may be spread out over a decently large area, wouldn't you want to pull a boat towed submersible metal detector to cover a large area and ID possible targets? Then use those targets for diving exploration.

maybe find a rental - JW Fishers Pulse 10 Boat Towed Metal Detector
    Where can I get info on the big pvc pipe style that the meteorite men use? Been looking but cant find a circuit diagram or kit or unit.

Chub

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    7191 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeller333 View Post
    Ha, no worries Chub. It's all entertainment. .....
    Glad you got a sense of humor j-keller. Here's your dollar :

A gold bar of that weight is ~$200,000 value at current melt . And typically, whenever someone comes on T'net with fabulous tales like that, it's usually a ghost-story type "he said she said" camp-fire lore.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links