Cartwheel Penny in the United States?

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Gold, AT Pro, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug my far share of British coins in the United States. This week I dug my first Cartwheel Penny. It's not in the best condition (pictured below), but it's the first one I've personally seen come out of US soil. I know they're somewhat common to find in the U.K., but not on this side of the pond. I'd love to know- Who else has dug a Cartwheel in US soil?
Sorry if this has been previously discussed. I couldn't find a thread about it.
Thanks,
Kurt

IMG_4464.PNG IMG_4462.PNG

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only seen a handful dug here. Can't recall who or when though. They are thick thick coins. Congrats on yours.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen a handful dug here. Can't recall who or when though. They are thick thick coins. Congrats on yours.

Thank you Isaac! It's unbelievably thick and heavy. They weigh an ounce. Once of those coins that I always wanted to find that I doubt I had the chance to. It hit like a half dollar. We live dig it. It was an awesome reveal. Only problem the camera wasn't rolling. I'm still sick about it

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one about 20 years ago at an old house site, quite a surprise!

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you for responding. Congrats on yours! I never expected to ever dig one myself.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion is that these are fairly common to find here. Remember that there were many minted, all bearing the date 1797.

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is that these are fairly common to find here. Remember that there were many minted, all bearing the date 1797.

I know its not a rare coin Ben. Colonial is my passion. My question is who else has dug one in the US? How many have you dug Ben?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If not from UK diggers, you're probably seeing them posted by Canadians. Any British coin after a 1783 Hibernia would be an uncommon find in the US.

To the OP I wouldn't say they would be somewhat common to find in the UK... I'd say they are real common to find there. The twopence would be tougher.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I recall Cru saying that they haven't found many cartwheels ,but I don't remember if that was about the one penny or two penny ,or both As huge and heavy as those are , it wouldn't surprise me if they just weren't lost all that much anywhere .

OP
OP
K

Kurt Franz THB

Jun 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I recall Cru saying that they haven't found many cartwheels ,but I don't remember if that was about the one penny or two penny ,or both As huge and heavy as those are , it wouldn't surprise me if they just weren't lost all that much anywhere .

Thank you for you're input

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would be the two penny.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's - yeah those things are like two full ounces ! You'd have to try pretty hard to lose one.

And even harder to find one! (and I did - but just one) I always laugh when someone finds the penny and calls it a "huge coin" :)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The penny is a common find here, I personally have never found a two pence. All have the date 17697, but it appears that coins were minted for several years, just all bearing the date 1797. Always a nice find even here.:icon_thumleft:

SS

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of it. Of course being near the Mississippi River I might not expect to see many old English coins out my way so I haven't researched them much. Glad to see you getting acquainted with posting finds. You are one of my favorite YT metal chasers. Catch ya' on the rebound with some more cool stuff I am sure.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I was going to do the same, but you posted your link first. Great history behind this coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread