Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: lost pocket knives

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Surf PI, Surf PI PRO, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    301 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have several Kershaw knives. They are my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    dirtlooter and dsdigger like this.

mx
    May 2010
    344 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    I probably had a dozen pocket knives as a kid, but none survived. I either lost them or broke the blade off and tossed them. I wasn't really that into knives in those days. Just bought another one when the current one broke or disappeared.

On the other hand, my father had a thing for pocket knives and took care of them. I found these in a bureau drawer after he died in 2008. I've been tempted to sell them, but I just can't do it...

Attachment 1462798
    When I was young, I had one exactly like the second one up from the bottom. I recognized it instantly. It probably wasn't a great knife, but back then I didn't know any better.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    3547 times
    When I was young, I had one exactly like the second one up from the bottom. I recognized it instantly. It probably wasn't a great knife, but back then I didn't know any better.

That's a Kamp King knife, made by the Imperial Knife Company in Providence. Very nice pocket knife...
    dirtlooter, Davers and dsdigger like this.

pocket knives have come a long ways, I know some of you have even found them at civil war sites and the cool factor is sky high for those. Stainless steel has its place and I have them but the old carbon steel is my favorite, it can be resharpened so much more quickly on a stone. I managed to lose a great knife while in the back of a C-130 back in the mid 70's flying over Saudi Arabia. I was napping in a fishnet style hammock when we flew over the sand dunes, the area became very turbulent and I was bounced around like a sack of potatoes. The buttons on my fatigues hung up in the fishnet and I liked to never got out of it. Of course everything in my pockets came out and I never found the buck knife, figure the crew chief found it. Also, loaned my knife to a guy working on the yoke mike switch on the pilot's side, he was lying on the floor in an awkward position and he needed a knife to strip some wire. I warned him over and over that my knife was razor sharp and he just said sure and went at it. Minutes later, I was down there doing his job because he had to go get his thumb taken care of. He didn't know that you could get a knife that sharp.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot
    7057 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    pocket knives have come a long ways, I know some of you have even found them at civil war sites and the cool factor is sky high for those. Stainless steel has its place and I have them but the old carbon steel is my favorite, it can be resharpened so much more quickly on a stone. I managed to lose a great knife while in the back of a C-130 back in the mid 70's flying over Saudi Arabia. I was napping in a fishnet style hammock when we flew over the sand dunes, the area became very turbulent and I was bounced around like a sack of potatoes. The buttons on my fatigues hung up in the fishnet and I liked to never got out of it. Of course everything in my pockets came out and I never found the buck knife, figure the crew chief found it. Also, loaned my knife to a guy working on the yoke mike switch on the pilot's side, he was lying on the floor in an awkward position and he needed a knife to strip some wire. I warned him over and over that my knife was razor sharp and he just said sure and went at it. Minutes later, I was down there doing his job because he had to go get his thumb taken care of. He didn't know that you could get a knife that sharp.
    Probably a buck 110 you lost?. They still are durable for their build. I have hundreds of knifes from everything from pocket to skinners to about 8 filet knifes bayonets and hand forged kitchen knifes. I am in the process of rebuilding my forge (all last weekend) I want to start making some real nice Bowies and drop tang hunters. As far as favorite it really depends upon what I am doing. On my desk is a USMC K-Bar I got that needs a handle and a lot of work. I am thinking stag would be nice. Good carbon steel in that knife.
    i have friends that are way into in with William Henry and such. I like a knife I can use and when I dig them I to often wonder about it as every man carried a knife. To bad the new generation will never know that or trading a knife with out even seeing what your buddy had, lol
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

I have quite a few knives too, I have made quite a few also and have given a lot away as gifts. After my series of strokes left me unable to talk to do much of anything back around 2004, I struggled to do anything. I had previously found about 10 circular blades around 10 to 11 inches used by a chicken processing plant and decided to made a knife out of one. I used grinders to cut out the shapes or styles from them and then ground them out from there. Didn't have a forge or anything like that so I made do with how I was doing it. I had a lot of antler and other material and so I made probably 30 knives from that. it was therapeutic and helped me a lot. How ever, I love to watch Forged in Fire and always wonder what if. I am not physically able to hammer very hard anymore so am not pursuing it. I have recently inherited most of the forge (hand crank blower etc and huge vice) that belonged to a relative that smithed for both sides in the CW. Story goes that after one side would head out, the other made their way there to get work done.
    Tnmountains, Davers and dsdigger like this.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + .
    3188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtlooter View Post
    it can be hard to buy a knife for a man, there are so many kinds of them and they are or can be very personal. My grandfather always said that you could tell a lot about a man by his knife...the condition of it. well used or hard used to hardly used. the style also could reflect what he did a lot of. A broken knife or a very rusty one spoke of miss use or abuse. I have always been slow to loan my knife out, broke that rule once when I loaned it to a guy in the woods that had just killed a deer. He worked at the same place I worked at so I knew that I would get it back. A month later, I was shocked to see my carbon steel knife and had never been washed or cleaned and was a rusty mess with dried flesh and hair stuck to it. I give my wife pretty cheap ones, she tends to lose them
    IMO
    Y'r Granddad was a wise Man, his 'Quote' rings so true in my older age.
    We need more Men like Him , I think they are runnin low in this Great Country.

As for yr "Friend" Hope that was Deer remains on the Knife. lol
    As I am finding , In life we Start at the top,with the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through True faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or True Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with Both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + .
    3188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBaby View Post
    I like my Kershaw knives. Recently I was helping my neighbor with his truck and he asked if I had a knife on me. I said of course, and whipped it open and handed it to him. He then proceeded to cut through a bad 02 sensor wiring harness - I didn't say anything but my eyes had to be about the size of saucers. No major damage done, it sharpened back up fine but I'll have to think twice about letting anyone borrow my knife again.
    That's Why I like a Serrated Edge on part of my Knife .'JIC'.

I carry a SOG Flash 2 , I have used it for 5+ years now , Kinda big for a pocket knife, A good Knife but the pocket clip design Sux , I have to carry it ' inside out ' on my belt. Got used to it that way tho.
    As I am finding , In life we Start at the top,with the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through True faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or True Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with Both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot
    7057 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I was always taught the rule if a knife was handed to you open you handed it back open if closed then hand it back closed. Might have been a local thing. I came up with a few "Western knifes" drop tangs from the sixties. They really take an edge and are good at skinning.
    Here is a knife I made off a buck I took. I tried to scrimshaw the pedicle the blade was damascus. The steel was given to me and its not that great. Hopefully I will be making better ones before long as gifts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4978.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	1463564
    Last edited by Tnmountains; Jun 19, 2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Jan 2010
    DFW Texas
    Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
    2175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    I was always taught the rule if a knife was handed to you open you handed it back open if closed then hand it back closed. Might have been a local thing. I came up with a few "Western knifes" drop tangs from the sixties. They really take an edge and are good at skinning.
    Here is a knife I made off a buck I took. I tried to scrimshaw the pedicle the blade was damascus. The steel was given to me and its not that great. Hopefully I will be making better ones before long as gifts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4978.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	1463564
    That is the way I was taught too - basically to return the knife as it was given, it was bad luck to close a knife if you aren't the one that opened it and vice versa.

I was taught the same thing about handing a knife back. Pretty awesome day as my wife found her first lost knife, pretty toasted of course but looked to be a pretty good one back then

us
    May 2011
    2323 times
    Pocket knives are one of the more odd things I love to find for some reason and I have found many.
    Those, along with watch parts and lighters, are always welcome any time I dig them up no matter what kind of shape they are in or condition.

Here are 5 knives I found at just one site, an old yard near a knocked down house that was part of an old farm the went back to probably the late 1800's.

I felt like an archeologist after I lined them up, you can just sense the different ages and eras they were lost in looking at the condition of each one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050313.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1463802  
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good!".
    2017 Totals...Clad, silver pin, a silver bracelet, 13 silver coins including a freaking Barber quarter and a beautiful walking half, Plus 4 V nickels....still on the hunt for gold!

us
    Stretch

Jan 2017
    XP Déus, White's TPro, Tek Gamma, Garrett Carrot
    828 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice thread and story DL!
    I have not found a lost knife while out detecting but hope to some day.
    I have been collecting knives all my life. Prob have over 50 in my collection.
    They have to be special to be in the collection... not any old run of the mill knife makes it in.

I made 3 knives years ago... went through the whole forging process. Really neat stuff! They do not have handles on them as we never got that far. Guy I was working with decided to move out of state. I should finish them up some day. It was similar to Forged in Fire... awesome show BTW!

Bought my first Buck back in the 80's and used that knife for many years! It was always on my belt when I was doing construction. Could slice up pepperoni paper thin at break and be ready to cut any and everything all day long! I still have it and use it anytime I need a knife and have a belt on.

Will try to get up a pic of some of my fav's! If DL doesn't mind, it would be cool if any poster puts up a pic of a couple of fav's to share.
    dirtlooter, dsdigger and Davers like this.

Quote Originally Posted by digger27 View Post
    Pocket knives are one of the more odd things I love to find for some reason and I have found many.
    Those, along with watch parts and lighters, are always welcome any time I dig them up no matter what kind of shape they are in or condition.

Here are 5 knives I found at just one site, an old yard near a knocked down house that was part of an old farm the went back to probably the late 1800's.

I felt like an archeologist after I lined them up, you can just sense the different ages and eras they were lost in looking at the condition of each one.
    awesome, what I love is the opened blade, someone was using it when they set it down, dropped it or just forgot it. a cousin of mine seemed to lose every knife he had, heck he lost everything period so he bought the cheapest knife to carry...still has it

Charter Member
    us
    Jeff

Jan 2017
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
    856 times
    I have yet to find a knife but I see that several find them and most have a story behind them if you could only find out what it was. I carry mostly Kershaw and have for so long. Very dependable and I had a knife that I found in a box that my Dad got at auction and the spring-assist had failed. Got the number off the knife, emailed KAI and they ended up sending me a replacement at no charge along with the replacement instructions. Always carry one if not two when no gun on me. Also have several Buck knives and a few very old Gerber knives. Most are stainless but there are some Carbon steel and I do know to keep lightly oiled and not in leather or cardboard liner as those attract and hold moisture and can discolor or rust the blade. In fact as i write this, have a Kershaw in a front pocket and a Buck in a back pocket.
    dirtlooter likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links