Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most of us have found pocket knives and most of them unless they were stainless, were pretty toasted. I for one have to admit that I have lost several knives over the years and a couple that I immediately regretted. For a guy, a pocket knife can be a very personal accessory and occasionally, it can be your favorite knife. I can remember as a young boy, helping an uncle search the trees in an area of the woods for his knife that he had stuck in a tree and forgot until the next day when he needed it again. we never found that one. years ago, I was about twenty feet up a tree in a climbing tree stand bow hunting. I needed my "favorite" Buck pocket knife to cut something, which it did but as I folded it closed, it slipped out of my hands. I watched in slow motion in the barely daylight light as it hit the bottom of the stand and shot outwards to who knows where in the million leaf pile and brush. I looked for that thing every time I was in the area. I doubt I could remember the actual area now at all. So when I find one, I always wonder how important the person valued this once useful tool, especially before stainless steel. I am 60 now and found one of my grandfather's lost knives, one that I can remember him using and how distraught he was when he lost it. it is one toasted knife that I gave to uncle that originally gave it to him, he was happy to get it. if only those knives could talk.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a a favorite..

Attachments

• bd_12.jpg
    bd_12.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 64
  • bmpstickit.png
    bmpstickit.png
    306.4 KB · Views: 57

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
big pocket...

chub

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dirtlooter!! Yea, isn't it the truth?? Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pocket knives are one of my favorite finds. Most are toast, be I still give them the respect they deserve.

DSC07113.JPG

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy your perspective and story telling abilities. It would be good to sit down with ya'll on a front porch on some rocking chairs enjoying some nice cold sun tea. I have found many toasted pocket knives. The corn field I worked this season kept giving me parts of the same knife scattered all over the place. I think there's still more of it out there! Yes, men do appreciate a quality made tool. To loose a knife, and I have lost a few, is a bummer for a man. So I can emphasize with the sentiments of this thread indeed. Thanks DL.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably had a dozen pocket knives as a kid, but none survived. I either lost them or broke the blade off and tossed them. I wasn't really that into knives in those days. Just bought another one when the current one broke or disappeared.

On the other hand, my father had a thing for pocket knives and took care of them. I found these in a bureau drawer after he died in 2008. I've been tempted to sell them, but I just can't do it...

DSC07115.JPG

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Freebird, don't get rid of them, they were special to him and that makes them special in a special way. I once gave a knife that I really liked to my younger brother. it was a carbon steel single blade Case that I could sharpen to shaving in a heartbeat, got the scars to prove it. So what does my brother do? walks over to the gate and sticks the blade into a gap and snaps the blade off! Could have killed him. I feel naked if I don't have a pocket knife on me, always needing to cut something. My grandfather instilled in me that a dull knife was a useless knife so mine are always sharp. To me, to get something cherished personally by a loved one or a good friend is to have a part of them to remember them by.

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We vacation in the Poconos.My kids,wife and I all carry pocket knives.The look on peoples faces when my wife whips out the Buck110.Anyhow we climb this cliff every year and at the top we build a stone monument.Been doing this for 15 years and as far as I can tell know ones ever seen it.Well a few years ago she left the knife up on the mountain.Came back the next year.Looked all over and found it open on the ground.Blade was still sharp as ever and the patina from all the snow and weather made it look like her Grandpa's.Thought some might like that story.All Buck fans but one the boy likes his Kershaws.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG A quick pic of my knife
Ken Onion Kershaw.... I'd rather loose my wallet than this....
Got dozens I've found, many others acquired from who knows where....

Just notice my dog photobombed me!:laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it can be hard to buy a knife for a man, there are so many kinds of them and they are or can be very personal. My grandfather always said that you could tell a lot about a man by his knife...the condition of it. well used or hard used to hardly used. the style also could reflect what he did a lot of. A broken knife or a very rusty one spoke of miss use or abuse. I have always been slow to loan my knife out, broke that rule once when I loaned it to a guy in the woods that had just killed a deer. He worked at the same place I worked at so I knew that I would get it back. A month later, I was shocked to see my carbon steel knife and had never been washed or cleaned and was a rusty mess with dried flesh and hair stuck to it. I give my wife pretty cheap ones, she tends to lose them

Z.Agee

Jun 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting for about 4 months now and i just found my first knife the other day, at a house built in 1900. It is a old Case knife. Super stoked about this one and cant wait to find more!

Attachments

• 20170618_184210.jpg
    20170618_184210.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer a Victronox Swiss Army knife. I use my at least 3-4 times a day. I literally feel naked without it. I pulled it out once at a conference to help a vendor set up his machine. He would have been unable to make his full presentation without my help.

Never found a knife md'ing, but found a few on the ground.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Kershaw knives. Recently I was helping my neighbor with his truck and he asked if I had a knife on me. I said of course, and whipped it open and handed it to him. He then proceeded to cut through a bad 02 sensor wiring harness - I didn't say anything but my eyes had to be about the size of saucers. No major damage done, it sharpened back up fine but I'll have to think twice about letting anyone borrow my knife again.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several Kershaw knives. They are my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I probably had a dozen pocket knives as a kid, but none survived. I either lost them or broke the blade off and tossed them. I wasn't really that into knives in those days. Just bought another one when the current one broke or disappeared.

On the other hand, my father had a thing for pocket knives and took care of them. I found these in a bureau drawer after he died in 2008. I've been tempted to sell them, but I just can't do it...

View attachment 1462798

When I was young, I had one exactly like the second one up from the bottom. I recognized it instantly. It probably wasn't a great knife, but back then I didn't know any better.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young, I had one exactly like the second one up from the bottom. I recognized it instantly. It probably wasn't a great knife, but back then I didn't know any better.

That's a Kamp King knife, made by the Imperial Knife Company in Providence. Very nice pocket knife...

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pocket knives have come a long ways, I know some of you have even found them at civil war sites and the cool factor is sky high for those. Stainless steel has its place and I have them but the old carbon steel is my favorite, it can be resharpened so much more quickly on a stone. I managed to lose a great knife while in the back of a C-130 back in the mid 70's flying over Saudi Arabia. I was napping in a fishnet style hammock when we flew over the sand dunes, the area became very turbulent and I was bounced around like a sack of potatoes. The buttons on my fatigues hung up in the fishnet and I liked to never got out of it. Of course everything in my pockets came out and I never found the buck knife, figure the crew chief found it. Also, loaned my knife to a guy working on the yoke mike switch on the pilot's side, he was lying on the floor in an awkward position and he needed a knife to strip some wire. I warned him over and over that my knife was razor sharp and he just said sure and went at it. Minutes later, I was down there doing his job because he had to go get his thumb taken care of. He didn't know that you could get a knife that sharp.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pocket knives have come a long ways, I know some of you have even found them at civil war sites and the cool factor is sky high for those. Stainless steel has its place and I have them but the old carbon steel is my favorite, it can be resharpened so much more quickly on a stone. I managed to lose a great knife while in the back of a C-130 back in the mid 70's flying over Saudi Arabia. I was napping in a fishnet style hammock when we flew over the sand dunes, the area became very turbulent and I was bounced around like a sack of potatoes. The buttons on my fatigues hung up in the fishnet and I liked to never got out of it. Of course everything in my pockets came out and I never found the buck knife, figure the crew chief found it. Also, loaned my knife to a guy working on the yoke mike switch on the pilot's side, he was lying on the floor in an awkward position and he needed a knife to strip some wire. I warned him over and over that my knife was razor sharp and he just said sure and went at it. Minutes later, I was down there doing his job because he had to go get his thumb taken care of. He didn't know that you could get a knife that sharp.

Probably a buck 110 you lost?. They still are durable for their build. I have hundreds of knifes from everything from pocket to skinners to about 8 filet knifes bayonets and hand forged kitchen knifes. I am in the process of rebuilding my forge (all last weekend) I want to start making some real nice Bowies and drop tang hunters. As far as favorite it really depends upon what I am doing. On my desk is a USMC K-Bar I got that needs a handle and a lot of work. I am thinking stag would be nice. Good carbon steel in that knife.
i have friends that are way into in with William Henry and such. I like a knife I can use and when I dig them I to often wonder about it as every man carried a knife. To bad the new generation will never know that or trading a knife with out even seeing what your buddy had, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread