Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the time of the year when I get to eat real tomatoes, you know, the ones right off the vine and super tasty. The tomatoes that can really make a BLT shine, real flavor and deep color. New potatoes are fixed in many ways and I like them all. We have to protect the garden from all the critters but the rewards are worth it. As a kid, fresh strawberries out of the garden with a big slice of yellow cake was mighty good but got even better with ice cream. As an old fart, they are still mighty fine table fare. Of course a real strawberry milkshake is hard to beat too. While this is something that many of us take for granted, many don't know what they are missing and I wish that they could find out. It's the simple things in life that can be so good contrary to what the fast foodies may think. sorry, already ate the BLT. only thing better would be with homemade ice cream. pretty good eats after detecting for several hours.

Attachments

• strawberry.jpg
    strawberry.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 56

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Homemade bread with fresh strawberries and cream at the in-law's farm!

If I have to go, I tell my wife to have them ensure enough for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Simple pleasure like that then a rum on the rocks with a good cigar. Heaven in the moment.

:icon_thumleft:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, you all are making me hungry! Enjoy for me too!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gave up on strawberries, my competition was too tough. But the blueberries are just about ripe and in a few weeks I will start picking everbearing raspberries and continue through October. I don't do much other gardening due to said critters except for a big patch of leeks which no one except me is interested in.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The other night of internet roaming I came upon a site (can't remember where) about tomatoes and how to shock your friends. Take a couple of unripe tomatoes, punch some dime size holes in a piece of aluminum foil and wrap them up tight. Put on a window sill for a week and when you remove the foil you will have poke-a-dot tomatoes.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too hot here, every time I have tried to grow tomatoes they croak.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I ate last weekend was fresh strawberries.

Just waiting for people at work to bring in their extra tomatoes.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SusanMN, the blueberries are out here. See them everywhere. Wife sent me out for strawberries and whipped cream and it is gone so out again for more. Get them while available then on to whatever is next. Check the farmer's market to see what is available too.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home Gardening? Is that available at the grocery store? LOL I was reading an article today that says 14% of the US population thinks that chocolate milk comes from Brown Cows! The article attributed this to the greater population not ever knowing where food comes from e.g. From the grocery store! Unbelievable. Our southern California climate with the complete lack of snow or winter makes for some incredible Tomatoes and strawberries. Blue berries are very tough and forget cranberries or goose berries. The tomatoes get bigger than softballs! I am not really sure how they taste though. For the last three years my Golden Retriever has defeated all methods to protect them. I watch them ripen to perfection and the next day they are gone. He breaks in and eats every last one of them, but not until they are perfectly ripe and ready. The first year I thought it was the neighbor until I caught the dog red handed. He would rather eat a fresh tomatoe than a steak.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mmmm! looks good
grandmother made same thing, with real homemade cream and yellow scratch cake

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my grandfather had five huge gardens, one of which was his prized strawberries. We had strawberry freezer jam all the time, I could my weight in biscuits and jam back then. One of my uncles got the place and it is now a thicket, so sad.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my grandfather had five huge gardens, one of which was his prized strawberries. We had strawberry freezer jam all the time, I could my weight in biscuits and jam back then. One of my uncles got the place and it is now a thicket, so sad.

OMG Freezer Jam!!!! Droooool

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya know when you live in Southern Cal and tell folks that you have a tomato eatin' dog that rather favors those then steak you leave yourself open for a whole bunch of N. Cal. banter...HA!
40 acre claim just loaded with blackberries. Pain in the butt to weedeat but it has a bright side. Always pick, wash, sugar and let them sit for a few days before putting scoops into small zip locks, flatten, stack and freeze. Great little thank-you gifts to the mail lady and gas attendant etc.. Last forever frozen.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy,, oh boy,, I just purchased a 9 acre farm.
Yum, yum,, can't wait. Fresh Homemade sauce,
On lasagna, or sausage and meatballs cooking slowly in tomato sauce.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know when you live in Southern Cal and tell folks that you have a tomato eatin' dog that rather favors those then steak you leave yourself open for a whole bunch of N. Cal. banter...HA!
40 acre claim just loaded with blackberries. Pain in the butt to weedeat but it has a bright side. Always pick, wash, sugar and let them sit for a few days before putting scoops into small zip locks, flatten, stack and freeze. Great little thank-you gifts to the mail lady and gas attendant etc.. Last forever frozen.
Hey can I help it if my dog needs his Lycopeens? Haha I was born, raised and still live in SoCal. That doesn't mean that I am not wise to the world. My parents grew up on Dairy farms outside of St. Paul Minnesota. My farmer parents (and grandparents) Grew food, made freezer jam and raised rabbits and chickens. My mom would have me go catch a chicken for dinner. Catch chicken, mom wacks the head, boiling water to remove feathers, dinner.
My parents also believed that we should see America and summer vacations were all 8 of us kids piled into a rambler station wagon with no AC crossing America towing an old canvas side Apache tent trailer with all of the camping gear (including an additional tent to hold us all. My mother loved to can everything If it wasn't canned it was frozen. So in addition to Strawberry freezer jam it was Canned jams and jellies. My mom was in pursuit of the mouth watering Black berry jamb. So one summer we end up doing the Norcal coast up into Oregon, staying at KOA campgrounds and wild thick forested campgrounds with acres of wild black berries everywhere. All of us kids got to picking them and my Mom stayed in camp, canning black berry jamb on a green three burner coleman stove. She handed out samples on warm buttered bread to anyone that poked their head into camp. It did not take long before every Ranger in driving distance was stopping by to "check on us" they of course left with samples. I think I was 9 years old. I don't remember much about the trip except that Jam. I'd give a gold nugget for a "sample" today.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread