Oooops! LOL!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I had an oops experience the other day in an old small town city park. I check the rules at the entrance and seems cool to detect.

Just prior to lunch I was detecting around the pavillion near the closest parking. I lit a cigar and the clock began ticking to the end of the hunt. When the smoke is gone, so am I.

Well, I was happily plucking away with a screwdriver when I noticed another detectorist about 200ft away. A bit surprised, I assume he saw me and that he was local, so I was kind of working my way that direction to maybe speak with him. I recover a few more targets, stand, then look to see him standing hand on hip staring at me. He looked unhappy.

So I wave, remove my headphones, and take a few steps his direction. He turns his back and begins detecting away from me.

Whaaathe....Is he mad I'm an out of towner working his park? What's his problem? What a (ahem)! Oh, well.

30 minutes later I am rolling out the park when I see a solitary wood sign posted at an angle you'd only see while leaving. Says, "Thanks for keeping this a tobacco free park".
What?! There were no other signs posted anywhere obvious. Oooops! :laughing9:

The guy could have at least told me. The flighty Chicken!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tobacco free park? Lord. Next up - no smoking in your own car.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I couldn't dip and swing in a park that would suck. Meanwhile the 2 teens are smoking a joint in their truck enjoying themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
In my city there is smoking allowed except within 50 foot of a playground, athletic courts, pools, and restrooms.There are suburbs here where the parks are posted 100% tobacco free... but I ignore them and smoke discreetly without a problem, yet.

And the State parks and rest stops are more restrictive. Smoking in your vehicle only and with the windows rolled up....yep, it specifies between windows up or down.

Honestly, Mexico seems more free than my state at times. I'm so programmed against smoking in public places when mexican shop owners beckon me to smoke in their shops I feel like a second-class citizen in my own home. Pathetic.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tobacco free park? Lord. Next up - no smoking in your own car.

Its illegal in Australia to smoke with children in the car

Chub

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We have some killer tobacco shops that I frequent occasionally to pick up cigar boxes for CBG's. The nicer shops usually have a glassed room for giving it try. Could be your home away for a relaxing smoke.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Politically Correct Insanity of AmeriKa. They have at least one park I have been to that restricts smoking. I won't be going back there. Not many finds there anyhow. The other detectorist must have been a real jerk not to notify you of your "transgression". Whenever I have ran across other detectorist out in the field all of them have been just as curious about me as I was them. Anyhow I hope you enjoyed your stogie.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its illegal in Australia to smoke with children in the car

Chub

A law like that was passed into effect just last year in our state. I actually support that one. I remember how much I hated it my mother would smoke in the car.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the way that if they can't talk you into stopping, they'll legislate and restrict you into your home with it and then make that illegal too. I'm an ex-smoker and as long as you put the butts out and then dispose of no biggie. In VA no smoking in most everywhere that you can offend someone and not in a car with children under 16. Take away cigarettes and cigars and pipes and make pot legal, what kind of thinking here? Just see dollar signs! Deft tones, guess they should have marked it better or he could have spoke up. You finished and no one seems to have suffered!:icon_thumright:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Restrict smoking everywhere then go to your home that is out gassing all kinds of stuff like formaldehyde into the air. Start up the fire place and smell the oak burning. Like might kill you.
I wouldn't smoke because then the industry would think I was a chump.
I wonder why it seems no one smokes a pipe any more. They were more acceptable because anything that smelled that good couldn't hurt anyone. Right??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread