ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since a few of you read my posts and see the crazy things I find and do underwater. I want to caution everyone that how I find treasure is not a walk in the park and is not without risks.

I dive the most dangerous navigable waterway in the USA. the St Clair River . I have been well trained for what I do. But what I am talking about here is the dangers of diving in marina's for lost items under boats. Besides having absolutely no visibility you have cut dock posts, cables and muck to deal with. Another hazard is wayward electricity. I always touched the water before I dove in. However after hearing of not one but two electrocutions last week so I just purchased a new gadget:

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Alert-42500/dp/B06XDGC9B4

I enjoy helping others and I have learned how to deal with not seeing a thing in marina's and in the Detroit River. No chunk of gold or silver is worth a life though. If you want to dive for treasure that is great. BUT learn how to stay safe in the water. Never panic in any situation. My high pressure air line could have gone out while I was underwater. Luckily it blew on land. A lot can happen. You have to be completely aware of your environment and surroundings. Know what you are capable of and do not exceed your capabilities.

If you are going to dive around boats and marina's, know where you are at all times. Don't come up fast and hit your head on the bottom of a boat. Move slow and easy and be relaxed. Have all the safety gear with you for any emergency.

Water kills and is unforgiving. I had a wading friend drown while detecting in lake Huron and I have had two acquaintances drown. Sure I find some crazy stuff. However, I have been diving for 37 years and I am at home in the water. Don't think you can get SCUBA certified grab a detector and jump in. I am not trying to discourage anyone from an adventure. i am just hoping whoever is interested realize there are hazards and obstacles along with the rewards of going where others can't go.

I have always tried to answer any questions thrown at on the forums or on PM's. There is plenty of water and finds to go around. Even my underwater Hoover can't find everything although it tries!

I have dove in 8 knot current under thousand foot freighters looking for 2 pound fishing sinkers to sell back to the fishermen on shore. Hopefully soon I will have a camera to show others a bit on what I do. Just waiting to hear what an extra battery will cost.

This video was taken in my home town. I live less than two miles from the bridges to Canada, pictured. I am not in the video but it gives you the idea of diving here.

The Detroit river is worse. It is connected to the St. Clair River but has more muck and less visibility. It is also illegal for most people to dive in. That is why I am finding the things I do.

Have a great summer all, either in the water or on land. But most importantly stay safe.

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Best state in the whole damn Union.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As jealous as I am of divers, I figured it is no walk in the park. Unfortunately I may just cross it off the list of things I'll ever get to do. I can't even swim. lol But all your efforts have paid off and you well earned your treasures. So kudos to you!!

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wow you live in the "Land of 10,000 Lakes", and cant swim
im not a strong swimmer, but i think everyone should learn
to swim. ya never know when you might need that ability/skill

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Actually Minnesota has the land of 10,000 lakes on it's license plates. Michigan is the land of 11,003 lakes and even Minnesota has over 12.000 lakes. I have been in less than 100 of these lakes but going to more and more all the time. I call the lakes in Michigan my private banks. People make deposits in them and I do the withdraws!

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post. I'm in the process of checking out some local creeks to snorkel in where there are
swimming holes. I have snorkeled in Mexico and Florida. Any advice prior to trying this adventure?

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
as was said kudos,when i lived in fl. thought i would give diving a try,
not sure what its called, i kept experiencing some kind of undefinable
fear after about 15-20 min under, i dont think i ever went farther than
25ft down, i guess it was worth a few hundred dollars to learn i have
some unamed fear of being under so long
crazy i do like snorkeling

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heh yeah I grew up on a lake, and have tried many times. The trouble is, I'm a sinker. Apparently a small portion of the population struggles with this, and I got lucky. I managed to stay afloat for the first time this past winter, but it took filling my lungs and stomach with air to the point where it hurt. When came time to breathe, I sank and scraped my foot on the floor of the pool. Someday, I will try again. I'm quite familiar with the techniques of swimming, it's staying afloat that some people have to work harder at.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Heh yeah I grew up on a lake, and have tried many times. The trouble is, I'm a sinker. Apparently a small portion of the population struggles with this, and I got lucky. I managed to stay afloat for the first time this past winter, but it took filling my lungs and stomach with air to the point where it hurt. When came time to breathe, I sank and scraped my foot on the floor of the pool. Someday, I will try again. I'm quite familiar with the techniques of swimming, it's staying afloat that some people have to work harder at.

A mermaid that sinks? That is why you wear a tank so you can breathe on the bottom!

I know why mermaids wear sea shells. I figured I would let you know so as one you can be educated!

A mermaid wears sea shells because B shells are too small and D shells are too big. Glad I could enlighten everyone.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
mermaid i knew someone that was a sinker, she came to fl
to visit for a week, she learned to swim in that time, we took
out @ low tide, the salt water helps your more
buoyant
she went home took a swim in a hotel pool, and said she could
swim. so if you ever get down to clearwater give it a shot
once you get it ya got it

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Scuba D...

People get "gung ho" and wanna jump on in speeding through a cert course ...buy a bunch of gear and then all common sense and safety go out the window.

I tell anyone that wants to learn to dive...
that diving is a serious thing and should be treated as such at all times... no matter how comfortable with it one may become.

Nothing makes diving "Safe"...
In diving... the risks are always the same.

Risks can only be prepared for... never totally eliminated.

I associate underwater... with outer space ... more accessible... but just as deadly if a mistake is made.

FeralMermaid

Jun 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
she went home took a swim in a hotel pool, and said she could
swim. so if you ever get down to clearwater give it a shot
once you get it ya got it

That would probably help. I went to one of those newfangled float tanks, and had no trouble at all! But that's quite different from swimming. My mom is actually the same way as me.

A mermaid wears sea shells because B shells are too small and D shells are too big. Glad I could enlighten everyone.

Good to know. We also smoke seaweed, but don't tell anyone.

Anyway, totally didn't mean to hijack the thread! More about OP's awesome finds...

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Got my new safety device today. Hopefully it will never register an electrical current in the water. But if it does. That just means I saved myself from being a fried diver.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anything you understate your case. I don't dive. But I know visibility in many lakes around here is minimal once you get down only a short distance, this knowledge convinced me diving wasn't as safe as the cruise boat commercials make it out to be.

Keep on educating.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If anything you understate your case. I don't dive. But I know visibility in many lakes around here is minimal once you get down only a short distance, this knowledge convinced me diving wasn't as safe as the cruise boat commercials make it out to be.

Keep on educating.

Actually the cruise ships are in seriously clear and gorgeous water. In the ocean visibility is 150' and sometimes better. I am in muck and weeds in fresh water lakes in Michigan. Totally different world. I learned to dive in Okinawa in the late 1970's. We could snorkel along the top until we saw something to dive on. In one case it was a Japanese battle ship that was sunk in WW2. Depth was over 150'. You could see it from the top. Fantastically clear over there.

In fresh water seeing 20 - 40 foot is excellent. Seeing 2 two 4 is realistic and a lot of times you can't see your hand in front of your face. But if it was easy everyone would be finding the gold that I am bringing up!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba, enjoyed the video...I was especially intrigued by the WWII fighter plane that had crashed, seeing it scattered into hundreds of pieces on the river bottom, and alongside the engine block I saw a chunk of crankshaft with 2 pistons and rods attached ..amazing..thx for sharing...those freighters would put the fear of God in me...Ddf

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually Minnesota has the land of 10,000 lakes on it's license plates. Michigan is the land of 11,003 lakes and even Minnesota has over 12.000 lakes. I have been in less than 100 of these lakes but going to more and more all the time. I call the lakes in Michigan my private banks. People make deposits in them and I do the withdraws!

....and to the north of Minnesota is Manitoba with over 110,000 lakes!
Lots of respect for you as I don't think this Prairie boy could handle diving beyond 10 feet deep!
I'm not afraid of heights and could do a handstand on the roof of a bungalow but put me on top of a three story and my legs start to turn rubbery.
Put me in 10+ feet of water and I'll turn into a rubber chicken. :duckie:
Think I'll enjoy your diving videos sitting in a chair in front of the computer nice and dry!
Thanks for the post.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! I'm certified and love scuba diving. Its such an amazing experience and puts me in a very calm and meditative like state where I feel at one with my surroundings. BUT I won't dive anywhere I need to wear wetsuit or with limited visibility.Total Tourist vacation diving like reefs and wrecks. LoL. What you're doing is some serious stuff. Thanks for sharing and I Look forward to reading and watching more of your adventures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread