Guess I'm A Crass, Inconsiderate, Neanderthal, and Hater!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I had to go to Wally's World today with my daughter to buy groceries today ... I'm off work sick, but the wife is sicker so I get to go ... anyhow:

On the way out to my vehicle, I look up and see a young boy (probably almost 3 years old) with a huge grin on his face and running wildly (and unaccompanied) through the busy parking lot.

Concerned for his safety I tried to grab him but he was too far. Called to him and he slowed a step or so before taking off into the busiest traffic lane heading for the front door. I look in front of me, and there is an older woman in a Honda busy looking into her purse along with a 4 or 5 year old girl. Both doors on the driver's side are open and it's obvious by his appearance that he is the brother of the little girl.

Terrible horrible person that I am, I LOUDLY stated how irresponsible the adult in the vehicle was. My daughter (now 20 years old) decides that I was cruel and says that I'm mean for saying something that might hurt the woman's feelings.

Just about that time the child, who had successfully made it all the way to the front of the store, darts off the sidewalk into traffic in front of an oncoming truck. Fortunately, the young man driving wasn't on the phone and stopped before hitting the child.

So, me and my big mouth once again states, while the woman is standing in the door of her car and definitely can hear me, that "That woman is just plain irresponsible, and that child almost paid the price for her ignorance!"

Now my daughter is angry and telling me what an awful person I am for hurting that woman's feelings!

Guess it would have been okay to say nothing at all and the results could have been different --- the child could have died while she's digging for her phone or her wallet. Somehow that would be the "adult" thing to do? Not in my world!

This just angered me that calling an irresponsible person irresponsible in public is somehow a sign that I have "issues"!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
call the cops. thats called child endangerment

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still pretty quick and agile for an older guy. I would have made every effort to snatch the child away from danger. If that would not have been successful I certainly would have been screaming to alert everyone in the vicinity of the present potential danger of a child running through traffic unattended. Having identified the irresponsible parents I can only imagine some choice words I may have had for them. You did what you felt was correct and I for one can NOT judge you on that my friend. Thankfully the man in the truck was not distracted with a hand held techno gizmo and was actually paying full attention to driving. Something that is becoming less common these days. Peace.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does not surprise me in todays sad society.
You did the right thing, to hell with the womans feelings, her child is STILL ALIVE! I applaud you!

I would have done the same and lectured her "as a morher".
....no good deed goes unpunished!
.....celebrate!!!!!

It seems today's society has different morals than we were raised with....like the golden rule, for one.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting in a Park the next town over. During my time there, a father in his late 20's or early 30's had his to daughters with him. The girls ran to the tot lot as he walked over and sat on a bench. I watched him for a while. He was nose deep into his smart phone the whole time, not even looking up on occasion to check on his 2 preschool aged girls. 10 minutes passed so I decided to go detect near where he was sitting. As I was swinging my coin in front of where he was sitting I made the comment "One of these days you will look up and see they are both over the age of 18" hoping he'd get my drift that he should be enjoying the time with his girls. He heard me and replied "I am doing work". In a few moments he gathered his girls together and went home. I often wonder who is going to raise the children of the Millennial generation since they are so tied to social media and their smart phones. I count my blessings that I grew up in the 60's and 70's.

Back then the world was less PC and less concerned about "FEELINGS"

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand your daughter's feelings, I certainly agree with and understand yours. I have been in that exact same situation. What I said was, "Hey, your child almost got run over! Better grab him while you can!" People are stupid. You can't shoot 'em, stab 'em, or eat 'em, so just try and keep your own sanity and warn them if and when you can. :skullflag:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still pretty quick and agile for an older guy. I would have made every effort to snatch the child away from danger. If that would not have been successful I certainly would have been screaming to alert everyone in the vicinity of the present potential danger of a child running through traffic unattended. Having identified the irresponsible parents I can only imagine some choice words I may have had for them. You did what you felt was correct and I for one can NOT judge you on that my friend. Thankfully the man in the truck was not distracted with a hand held techno gizmo and was actually paying full attention to driving. Something that is becoming less common these days. Peace.

I applaud you for the idea, but if the child ran faster and more recklessly since a stranger was chasing them and then was hit, you might be held liable.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You do have issues... with stupidity, it seems. :laughing9:

I'm with you. Public ridicule is the best policy. Parking lots are dangerous for adults and are no place for unsupervised kids. Well done. Sounds like your daughter is just embarrassed. Imagine all the hurt feelings had there been a tragedy. Many people would be hurt emotionally, not just one woman.

The best is when my young kids are with me and I can do it indirectly as a teaching moment. "And that is an example of a parenting fail, Son. Can you tell me why?"

Sometimes his answers smack hard with that blunt child-truth... then I get to praise him and laugh! :laughing7:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh sweet Jesus! We can't hurt anyone's feelings.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have is a millennial on your hands. Tell her there are no safe spaces when she is out with you. :laughing7:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your daughter's feelings, I certainly agree with and understand yours. I have been in that exact same situation. What I said was, "Hey, your child almost got run over! Better grab him while you can!" People are stupid. You can't shoot 'em, stab 'em, or eat 'em, so just try and keep your own sanity and warn them if and when you can. :skullflag:
My Grandfather used to say that was God's way of eliminating stupid people. It did not sound so harsh when he said it. We (Bros and sis's) knew exactly what he meant. Run a muck in traffic and you will get yourself killed. WE NEVER!!!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now my daughter is angry and telling me what an awful person I am for hurting that woman's feelings!

Maybe your daughter just does not understand how inconvenienced she would be if some kid got struck in the parking lot with her as a witness. When the men with guns show up for a kid bleeding in the steet, they might tape off the whole area blocking your car in, or ask her to explain what happened, making her late for dinner. :dontknow:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe your daughter just does not understand how inconvenienced she would be if some kid got struck in the parking lot with her as a witness. When the men with guns show up for a kid bleeding in the steet, they might tape off the whole area blocking your car in, or ask her to explain what happened, making her late for dinner. :dontknow:
I am really surprised that Stupid Mom didn't chew you out for not Minding your own Business! That would be par for the course.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posts deleted.

Please keep political statements out of all threads not in our politics forum.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you... I wouldn't have cared LESS about doing the right thing in view of others. You did...!!! But you know this by now of me.

I have a heart of Gold... and would help ANYBODY and have... but to harm a child in my view would bring out the absolute worse of me (not good).

Harming one of my family members (outside of defense) is a way to get me involved also. Being held "accountable" always sucks... doesn't it...?

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since you were sick, why didn't you just send your daughter to the store with a list?

Good on you for trying to educate the probably uneducatable. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions