Treasure Hunters (Top Sources for Research Materials)

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. I am curious about internet as well as location based research sources. What are the best places hyperlinks etc... to search for free or fee downloadable maps, documents, news article and government as well as independent publications and historical documents.

Post your favorite hyperlinks and addresses for research in any type of treasure hunting activity.

I am curious to see what others besides myself have discovered in their quest for treasure.:skullflag:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Google

Seriously, you should share when you ask. If you can.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make friends with your local librarian.

Old small town yearbooks.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Your local Historical Society. My very rural town even has a small museum where I've found a whole lot of the local senior citizens donated very interesting materials to the facility. My mother is 91, and after she retired about 30 years ago - she was part of a small number of elders who pushed the town counsel to open a museum - a depository of history.

Mom retired as curator just 3 years ago at 88. So I've had the benefit of seeing more than many.

Why not? Go find what you have available. Start talking to the older folks. Believe me, even though you'll find out a lot of stuff you'd never otherwise know - they'll get more out of it than you. They get to live it again, feel important, and have a sense of value. If I hadn't retired and come home, Mom would still be working at the museum at 91.

It gave her life, to be able to tell what she'd witnessed and have people eager to listen to her. She didn't do it for the small pay. She mattered.

Z.Agee

Jun 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Library of Congress website has great access to old maps. I live in ohio and i have found some pretty decent places to dig, when comparing old maps to google earth images. I have learned for instance, that some of the old wagon trails, were turned into dirt turnpikes connecting major cities and some are now major roads and highways. I found that it is easiest just to google your county, state, and 1800s for example. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Most maps are very good quality and even when zoomed in, the names of land owners, railways, railstations and town names are very legible. Enjoy and good luck, i hope that it helps.

Last edited:

Z.Agee

Jun 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first website to select on google when searching is usually for the library of congress. If it is not just scroll down and it will be there.

OP
OP
N

Notsuredomus

Aug 12, 2012
Classic Hill Mine, Siskiyou County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Whites GMT
Garret ProPointer
Bazooka Gold Trap Super Prospector
Fossicker Production Pan
Proline 3in Dredge/Highbanker Combo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very insightful deepseeker thats a good idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread